Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Importing 1998 WRX from Australia to UK

Search this Thread

Old 02 July 2001, 11:13 PM
Patricia Peacock
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My husband is transferring to the UK from Australia next month and would like to take his1998 model WRX with him as a personal import. I've looked at the DETR and DVLA websites to try and find out whether his WRX will be accepted but I'm not quite sure of the terminology they are using.

The vehicle was manufactured in Japan to Australian design rule standards. I therefore assume that it is classed as a "non type-approved passenger car" and would have to undergo testing and approval under the "Single Vehicle Approval Scheme".

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to locate a contact point for Subaru in the UK where I can post a query - their website only allows you to order a brochure or a test drive. I was rather hoping that they might have a general "enquiries" email address but they do not appear to.

If anyone could provide information as to whether the Australian design rule standards vary from the UK rules to the point where it would be uneconomic to modify the Australian car to meet UK standards could they please let me know. Alternatively, if someone can suggest a UK contact who knows the answers, I would be very grateful.

The car is, of course, right hand drive but the speed is registered in kph not mph.

Many thanks
Tricia
Old 03 July 2001, 07:12 AM
JohnS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tricia,

it is possible to import your WRX into the UK, but it will need a few modifications to pass the SVA test.

The UK cars and Australian cars are almost of identical specification, so there won't be many changes required.

Basically the speedo must read in mph (as well as Km/h), and the car must have a rear foglight fitted (may already have this). The odometer can continue to read in Km/h, but most conversions available mean that it then starts to read in miles. You can fit a complete new speedo from Subaru UK, but it will be expensive.

However, given the recent fall in prices of 2nd hand Imprezas here in the UK, I would suggest that you could save lots of money (despite the $/£ exchange rate) by selling your car in Australia, and buying an equivalent car here in the UK. You won't have shipping or conversion costs to worry about, and insurance will be cheaper as your car would be classified as an import.