Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

impreza 2.0 GL auto for the wife

Search this Thread

Old 04 August 2002, 07:08 AM
richbay
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
has anyone had any exprience of these, any good? good mpg? good value for money,
Old 04 August 2002, 10:59 AM
Rusty Festa
Scooby Regular

Question

Why GL? and Why automatic?
Old 04 August 2002, 12:03 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Are you planning on new or used? Assuming used, I can give you a bit of info.

My mum's got a MY98 2.0GL 5dr manual (and I've got a 1.6GL - but I'm 18 so that explains that one ).
They've both been family kept since new (both actually on company lease - hence not owned until 3 yrs old) and we've been very pleased with them. There was no question whether to get another Impreza after the MY95's (now mine) 3 year lease ended. I wish they were Sports for the improved looks, but my mum doesn't care - the only bonus of a Sport for her would be the ABS (not available on 'classic' GLs, but I believe standard on the new shape) and that wasn't really worth the extra that it would have put on the lease fee. A Sport was £1k more when new, but presumably the gap decreases proportionally with depreciation.
The 2.0 has a good bit of pace (as all the Sport fans will tell you - same 115bhp engine apart from the newest of Sports with 125). My mum says it's "too powerful" for her needs, but I have no complaints The 1.6 is very noticably slower, despite only relitavely little less power at 88bhp - you need to know the car and work it hard to get it shifting, but it can still put a smile on my face.
Running costs are a sore point, about 28-32MPG with regular local driving from the 2.0, I've stretched 41.8MPG out of my 1.6 on a motorway run - and no tow trucks were involved! Insurance is group 13 on the 2.0 which probably wont be too bad for your wife, but an 18 year old on the (group 10) 1.6 is crazy Can't tell you what my mum gets on the 2.0 as it's still free through the lease - big bonus of that is I'm a named driver for free
If you want proper Subaru servicing then that'll be expensive too, but now mine is well out of warranty I use the local guy that I know and trust - he's a lot cheaper and probably does a better job IMHO.
They're good practical cars - I can get all of my drum kit in the boot! Rear leg room is a bit cramped considering the size of the car though. Oh and don't buy a DBM colour car - your bonnet will be wanting a respray within weeks/days.

Does your wife have an auto only licence? Dunno what the auto boxes are like, but the manuals have a nice shift compaired to other cars I've driven.

If you've got any other questions, don't hesitate

Ben
Old 04 August 2002, 05:36 PM
richbay
Scooby Regular

cheers ben, yes it has to be an auto, and she liked my old impreza turbo alot
Old 05 August 2002, 07:03 PM
phaynes
Scooby Regular

Wink

Just to confirm: I too can get my drum kit in my MY99 Sport.

Paul
Old 05 August 2002, 08:28 PM
Turboteeth
Scooby Regular

I don't have a drum kit but if I did it would fit in my wagon no problem