Sponsored by:

**Thinking about buying an STi 5 type R**

Search this Thread

Old 02 August 2002, 11:09 AM
iain atkins
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I currently have a UK97 turbo, and have found a nice 'cool grey' STi 5.

I was wondering if i could get a Tek 2 conversion so that it is safe to run on 97 / 98 ron fuel.

I am also going to transfer the bits from mine (exhaust etc) on to the Sti, if i decide to go for it.

Is this a good version to go for (reliability wise) as i have heard of a few 5's engines letting go?

Cheers

Iain
Old 02 August 2002, 11:24 AM
Simon R
Scooby Regular

Hey iain

I've had mine since new (Sept 1999), and so far, touch wood no major hassles.

I am starting to get a crunch when trying to get into 5th when pressing on, which is no doubt the well documented synchro problem, other than that, its great

I do however run it on optimax and booster at all times and am very strict on ensuring warm up / cool down procedures. I also have a knocklink installed for "peace of mind", was worried about the phase2 issues raised when I initially got it too

Just hope you like changing gears alot due to the short gearbox, but that's one of the many reasons I decided on this model in the first place

Never wanted to change it for anything in almost 3 years of ownership

Not sure if I'd want to run one as a daily driver though, bit too manic day in day out, but for a lesiure drive.........

Good luck on your decision

Simon
Old 02 August 2002, 12:01 PM
Dave R
Scooby Regular

I love mine (STI V5 Type R V-Ltd)

Just buy it.

Daver
Old 02 August 2002, 12:17 PM
kenb@manx
Scooby Regular

I have a 99 RA. It's the mutts nuts. Go and buy one soonest !

ken
Old 02 August 2002, 01:36 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Iain,

Have you driven one yet? It's a very personal choice the differences between the UK/STi/Type R/RA cars both in handling and gear ratios.

Personally, I really like the handling of the Type R/RA cars but am less keen on the shorter gearing. Blinding acceleration though, just a bit of a pain on the motorway.

Matt
Old 02 August 2002, 01:51 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

As Matt says go and drive one as they dont suit everyone. The gearing makes them blinding quick in standard trim. Its like a new STI 6 speed box without the 6th ratio if that makes sense .

My RA is noisy, bumpy, needs to be grabbed by the scruff of the neck and quick but if it drove and sounded like a top of the range Merc/BMW then I would be bored very quickly.
Old 02 August 2002, 06:57 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Iain,

You would need a Tek 3 for your car. A Tek 2 only suits the UK specced cars that have an exhaust and induction kit added. The Tek 2 is a one map suits all, whereas the Tek 3 is a custom re map, which is what you would need. Tek 3s can be done for STI 5 and 6 cars now.

Cheers,

Wrexy.
Old 08 August 2002, 09:56 AM
iain atkins
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cheers,

Going to test drive this weekend

Iain

Wrexy, we on the same wavelength m8
Old 08 August 2002, 10:42 AM
CRAIGFIN
Scooby Regular

Cool

Iain,

Get one, they rock!!! They can be used everyday and absolutely eat up motorways. Just a tad thirsty though.

Craig.
Old 08 August 2002, 02:26 PM
john b
Scooby Regular

i own an STI6 quick as you like , but a bi hard on the *** after 2 hours driving
Old 08 August 2002, 05:19 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
I had an sti5 type R in cool grey, the same one that you seem to ant. It is essential that you drive one before buying because the style of driving is totally different to a uk 97 spec car. I came from a wrx 93 import and it was a total culture shock to drive the sti. First day i took it out i nearly crashed it! Was on a sweeping roundabout in the wet and in the wrx id fly around, in the sti the back flipped around and i had to correct wildly, something id never done in the wrx b4!

The dif control is manual, means you can mess about with the settings. But its generally advised that the dif be set in green in dry conditions. You do seem to get more grip if you set into the first yellow, but at slow speeds or in corners youll lose the advantage through jerking and bumping around respectively. I think that the power split is 64% rear and 36% front (as says my sti handbook), and the car does handle like a rear wheel drive car and has to be given respect.

The short shift is fantastic, thats the only thing i miss from the sti now that i have a P1. The gearing will be a lot shorter and if you do a lot of motorway miles expect high revs for lowish speeds, but it will go all the way up to 150 mph assuming the limiter is taken out.

I assume you have abs at the moment, abs will not be on the typeR. Its not generally a problem without abs, i never had any complaints anyway.

Out of a full tank youll generally get about 180 miles out of a tank. I used to use optimax and didnt bother with octane booster. Again thats a personal choice.

The sti5 was the model that was APPARENTLY susceptible to a piston going AWOL. Its essential that you get the car from a proper dealer that supplies a fully comprehensive warranty from themselves. If its an insurance backed warranty by an outside party i would be concerned about their commitment to pay out for anything. Although any warranty is better than no warranty. I have had problems before with these insurance backed warranties and they are tighter than a camels **** in a sandstorm.

Make sure that you drive it and chat to peops that have the car or have owned an sti5 type R. These are the people that will be able to tell you about the car, and be aware that youll get the rent-a-quote mob passing comments even though they will never even sat in such a model.
Old 08 August 2002, 06:43 PM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love mine too (STI V5 Type R V-Ltd)

With a full decat exhaust I can get 30MPG, and have no probs doing a rush hour 6hr drive from Woking to Kielder forest to see the folks on a weekend.
Like scoobynutta said, drive one first, I did and paid the deposit after 5 mins at the wheel. I had been worried about the stories that you're forever changing gear, hard ride, horrendus economy, high revs etc but its nowhere as bad as people say. AND the diff gives you near rwd handling which is excellent.....

don't delay, buy one today
Old 08 August 2002, 09:25 PM
Blind Side
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I have owned a grey type R for just over a year now. It is my 3rd Scooby (previously UK Turbo followed by WRX wagon). It is a serious raw edged drivers car which will bite you in the wet if you are cocky with the loud pedal. They are massively quick through the gears with outstanding handling, in large part due to the 2 door body shell and ultra stiff sti suspension. Mine is un-modded apart from ITG filter decatted straight through 3" stainless exhaust, relatively quiet jap back box, and tweaked brakes. It is plenty quick enough! The pick up is immediate and they are real flying machines without any need to mess with/change the ECU, which is not recommended as the car is already good for around 300 HP when allowed to breathe without restriction. They are ideal for country roads due to the low ratio Group N gear box, which is a real joy once you get accustomed to it and avoid being lazy. As previously emphasised only use super/Optimax fuel as a minimum and hit the service intervals religiously every 5,000 miles with a mechanic who knows the cars well and can be trusted. I have had absolutely no problems with mine which is driven to/from work over 50 miles every day and it puts a big smile on my gob. Buy a well maintained one with a decent history look after it properly, drive it with respect and you will not be disappointed. The raw edge has been lost with the new sti (I would say that) and decent untrashed version 5/6 type R's are also comparatively hard to come by.
Old 08 August 2002, 09:37 PM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I've owned an STi 6

A P1

Lots of wrx's and UK's

And of course my STi Type RA V Ltd and have to say it's the best impreza I've ever driven IMHO of course....quickest 0-100 scoob....collectable and stunning....forget the TEC's....go Gems....I have