Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

removable roll cage

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2001, 04:05 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am seriously considering one of these things, and in the light of all these sad posts in the general forum think it might be a good idea.

The thing is, as well as the looks, I would like to keep it installed for road use.

Would this be a bad idea for reasons I have not considered as I am not too bright when it comes to thinking before I act (or open my mouth).

Insurance issues accepted, as removability negates that as a concern for me.

I dont think it will save me in most impacts but surely the extra protection as well as the looks must be worthwhile?

anyone else thought about this?
Old 27 June 2001, 04:09 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

If u ain't wearing a lid and you or a passenger get tossed into the cage bars in an accident then bye-bye skull - much more so than if you just hit the flat padded roof.
Chuck
Old 27 June 2001, 04:23 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Adam.
As you probably know I have one of these in CK1. It has not been removed since it was fitted, main reason being there have been/will be several meets coming up. However, I ALWAYS wear my harness when driving on the road now. A seat-belt allows you move across should the car ever roll (thank goodness judging by recent incidents!) whereas the harness will keep me firmly in my place and the protection will hopefully come from the cage in the event of a roll. I will be putting padding around the relevant parts of the cage for extra protection, but am satisfied that for the short term it offers no significant danger in the event of an accident.
I have moved my head everywhere and still can't get near it!
At the end of the day though this is designed to be a removeable cage, and when I'm back from The Ring I will probably keep it solely for track use. It does look lush though.
Another point is that I (seriously ) don't drive on the road in a manner where I think it would become an issue.

Stef.
Old 27 June 2001, 04:31 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Stef,
1 - In all probability your insurance is invalid whilst you drive with the cage in place (assuming you haven't informed the insurers, apologies if you have).
2 - 'Another point is that I (seriously ) don't drive on the road in a manner where I think it would become an issue.' and yet you had an accident only 2(?) days ago, wasn't your fault, but next time it could happen as you go around a quick corner, or as you join a motorway.
People don't take insurance seriously enough. If you had a passenger in your rear seat, were involved in an accident and , god forbid, your passenger struck his head on the roll cage and suffered severe injuries...it's just too ugly to think about.
IMHO
Chuck

[This message has been edited by chuckster (edited 27 June 2001).]
Old 27 June 2001, 04:33 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

chuck, I dont think Stef would allow rear passengers whilst driving with the roll cage in place.

his comments refer purely to his own risk in the front seat(s).
Old 27 June 2001, 07:15 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Chuck.
I've already investigated the insurance issue.
I did have an incident the other day, but I'm talking about actually rolling the car.
I can't take rear seat passengers in the rear, and wouldn't even if I could.

Stef.
Old 27 June 2001, 10:54 PM
GranTurismo
Scooby Regular

Isnt it illegal to use a harness on the road, due to reduced mobilty for looking round when pulling out of junctions etc. I know its an MOT failure unless an inertia reel is fitted (unless you have an exempt classic.????????
Old 27 June 2001, 11:44 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought the hole point of the removeable roll cage, was to remove it for every day driving, and put it in when you are doing track days?

If you want a roll cage that is perm, why not get one that is perm and fit it?

Just my thoughts..
Old 27 June 2001, 11:53 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

No, perfectly legal to use a harness in a road car. But if the harness is the main means of restraint, then the harness must be 'E' approved (will have a yellow label on it).

There again, most cars that you fit a harness to will still have the standard seatbelts, so they will get you through the MoT even if the harness isn't 'E' marked.

Now, your insurance company will have something to say with regards to driving on the public road with a harness rather than 3 point inertia belt.....

Cheers

Ian
Old 28 June 2001, 09:18 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Harj

Correct, but you're dissipating the force of the crash to the other side of the car too. That helps spread the impact & reduces potential damage to you. Sod the car when you're getting T-boned!
Old 28 June 2001, 12:13 PM
harj
Scooby Regular

This might sound silly, but if you get shunted side on would the cage not move within the car and end up damaging the opposite side as would a strut brace?

Im getting one for trackdays

Old 29 June 2001, 11:16 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

When I got the RA MOT'd it has no seat belts, just harnesses.

The tester rang the "ministry" and they said that they had to be BS or FIA marked and within date.