Sponsored by:

Just hit a dog!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 27 July 2002, 12:32 AM
Janner
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Had my P1 for a whole week and a dog runs out in front of me and then whack. Luckily the dog was OK and all that was wrong with my car was a broken No plate but im not happy. It was in a built up area and I was doing 30 maybe even less when a black dog sprints straight in front of me chasing a cat or something and whack. The dog slides down the road a bit and then runs off in a different direction. The thing is that the owner had two dogs neither on a lead walking by a road and obviously had no control if her dog can go legging it onto roads. The woman then went into hysterics screaming out her dogs name running down the road after it carrying the leads that should have been on the bloody dog. I parked the car and helped her look for the dog but I couldn't even get the name of the dog off her as she was blabbering!! The dog eventually came back to her and seemed OK. The woman was now talking complete bollox with tears and snot all over her face. My girlfriend checked the dog over and it seemed OK and it was waging its tail but I still told her to take it to the Vets to get it checked over. Then this is the best bit, she grabs the dog and calls it a stupid dog for running out in the road and apologises to me!!!??? Stupid bloody woman should have had them on a lead just like the ones she was carrying. I made sure her dog and her were OK and told her in future when walking by a road to have her dogs on a lead which I think she grunted too. It was hard to tell what she said amongst all the sobbing and snot.

So now I have to get a new front number plate and feel a complete ****, even though it wasn't my fault!! Should have strung her up by her leads!!! I have 2 dogs and would never do this. Just feel sorry for the dog and maybe a bit for my number plate!!!

ps Dont you have to report hitting a dog to the Police?
Old 27 July 2002, 12:37 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Technically, yes.
Old 27 July 2002, 12:45 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

You only have to report it if you kill the dog.

You shoild have made the daft bat pay for the number plate replacement.
Old 27 July 2002, 01:00 AM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Lucky it was'nt a horse m8. It would never have forgiven you and hunted you down till it got it's revenge
BTW - gives you a hell of a fright!!
Alasdair
Old 27 July 2002, 01:02 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

Report the incident to the police, state that the owner didnt have the dogs on leashes and that they caused damage to your car then report the owner and get your money back for the damage to your car (even though it is a number plate) that should then stop her from walking the dogs without leads

Tony
Old 27 July 2002, 01:14 AM
Thunder77
Scooby Regular

Bloody annoying ppl not keeping their dogs on leads. Saw one being hit by a car a while ago. The dogs leg wrapped round the wheel one revolution and then ran off. Can't believe how stoopid some ppl are. Dogs always chase after things ... keep em on a leash.

So I hope you get her to pay for the number plate.
Old 27 July 2002, 01:30 AM
uncle buck
Scooby Regular

Angry

F**kin' idiots.... [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 27 July 2002, 03:20 AM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

Janner, get your **** to the police station before the owner reports you for hit n run as it has not been reported by you........
Rob
Old 27 July 2002, 09:44 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Janner, sorry to here this m8, but as Tony and Tweenierob say do it before the silly cow as you done, and I would make her pay for a new plate, (Glad to here the dog was ok too, though none of it should have happened in the first place).
Cheers
Colin
Old 27 July 2002, 10:13 AM
daz b
Scooby Regular

Janner,report it,a mate of mine 7 years ago was riding an AR 50 (small motorbike) in a built up area,30 -35mph dog ran out in front of him,hit dog dead,hit parked car ,damaged rear end,bike wrote off.
Three weeks later he had solicitors letter for compo for lose of dog,but as police were called to the scene and said he was in the clear she didn't have a leg to stand on.

P.s mate lost his ncb and £300 excess,helmet leathers boots etc.PLEASE USE A LEAD!!
Old 27 July 2002, 10:20 AM
Attu
Scooby Regular

I thought you used to have to report it a while a go when dogs were licenced but not these days ????
I may be wrong and i supose to be on the safe side it would be a good idea to tell the police but make sure you also tell them that she was walking the dogs without leads.

Andy
Old 27 July 2002, 10:32 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

You do have to report accidents with dogs, whether they live or not.
Old 27 July 2002, 10:43 AM
CarlSTI
Scooby Regular

Angry

Definitive list of reportable accidents with:

Anyone other than the driver
dog
horse
cow
mule
sheep
pig
goat

sorry - not cats!

OOps forgot to say this is "damage to" ie injury!

[Edited by CarlSTI - 7/27/2002 11:15:05 AM]
Old 27 July 2002, 11:10 AM
Janner
Scooby Regular

Angry

OK I phoned the Police and explained the accident and all he wanted to know was if the dog was OK. He didn't care about the damage to my car or the fact the silly b1tch had no control over her dog. I bet if anything did happen to the dog she would be banging on my door asking for me to pay vet bills!!

They said that since the dog was OK there was no need to report it. I wonder what would happened if it had ripped half my front spoiler off? I got the impression I would still have to pay! Now I don't think the woman would be on Scoobynet because she is not responsible enough to have a dog let alone a car but if she was then this message is for her "Keep your dog on a lead you stupid ******* cow"

Right thats my moan over I am off to get a new number plate!!
Old 27 July 2002, 11:32 AM
jonny gav
Scooby Regular

Red face

he didn't tell you that you could prosecute her for not being in control of her dog did he!!!

all damage to your car is payable by the owner of the dog by law.

just another case of the police not doing their job and not wanting the paper work even though you wouldn't have pressed charges.

Old 27 July 2002, 11:37 AM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

You should have said to the police that you wanted to press charges against her, for causing a danger to road users, by not having control of the dogs. Causing a danger to road users, can be a serious offence, ( but when it is the motorist who is wanting to press charges, it isnt really surprising to see the attitude of the police. When someone wants to prosecute a motorist, its handcuffs/jail/death penalty ) If you press charges against her, they would have to listen. Are the police in this country ( entire UK ) actually any use for anything?? Has anyone had any success with crimes they have reported to the police, or have they just wasted their time.
Old 27 July 2002, 12:27 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Here we go again.......
Old 27 July 2002, 12:39 PM
Janner
Scooby Regular

Angry

OK phoned a different Police station (the area it happened) and they said that I had to report the accident which contradicted the first call to the Police!!! I can claim against the woman but I will have to pay for legal something or other which will probably cost more than a new number plate so it isn't worth it.

The dog has more intelligence than the owner and the Police put together and he was probably concussed after the bump. So look out for a stupid ginger haired woman with an uncontrolable dog in an area near you.
Old 27 July 2002, 12:46 PM
ash1
Scooby Regular

Question

Funny (not really) that the same thing happened to me this week gone in my P1, fortunately I saw the scruffy little **** and braked. You can call it isolated incidents but maybe these dogs have had a meet and decided to target P1's ? Just a thought....
Old 27 July 2002, 12:50 PM
Janner
Scooby Regular

Wink

I was aware of being targeted by Police, Thieves etc when buying my car but no one mentioned dogs!!!!! Can you fit bull bars to the front of a P1?
Old 27 July 2002, 12:54 PM
ash1
Scooby Regular

Oh no not bulls as well, don't you mean dog bars. Bl00dy hate campaigns...
Old 27 July 2002, 12:54 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

I hit a hedgehog last nite- one of the problems of having your front bumper 1" off the road.

Old 27 July 2002, 12:57 PM
caz1562
Scooby Regular

Cool

but you don't want to be hitting a bull next.......try K9 bars, a lot cheaper than bullbars

[Edited by caz1562 - 7/27/2002 12:58:33 PM]
Old 29 July 2002, 09:52 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

FFS its only a bloody numberplate.

Yes, she should have had the dog under control, and its her fault, but its a bit late now.

You've reported it, which you have to do. Stop waisting police time over a £10 number plate

I can see it now, another post on Scoobynet:-

Called the police as my car was being stolen but they didn't come...

(Probably because they were following up the "broken number plate" case

Mate, I own a dog, as do you. I appreciate the shock, but the daft cow has probably suffered enough to make her think twice about it.

D

Old 29 July 2002, 10:04 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

D, we don't want voices of reason on Scoobynet!

Nice post, well put.

Back to the original topic: sorry to hear of your troubles. Be thankful that you didn't swerve to avoid it and end up in the path of an oncoming truck/kid on bike/whatever...

Hopefully, by the time the shock has worn off she'll realise *why* the dog ran out and it won't happen again. She's telling the dog off because she's probably relieved that it's OK. It'll sink in. People on the whole do love their dogs and don't want 'em to be a squishy mess because they didn't use a lead.
Old 29 July 2002, 10:57 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

Can you fit bull bars to the front of a P1?
Sell it and get a Gravel Express
Old 29 July 2002, 11:04 AM
Fullonloon
Scooby Regular

Arrow

I hit a dog as it run out in front of me from a concealed footpath straight on to a main road. It rolled over, then ran off to the side of the road and collapsed. The owner was there and was apologising to me as it had dented the front of my car. I was not bothered about the small dent, I just wanted the dog to be ok.

You only have to report the incident to the police if it is a road kill, whereas you can run over as many cats as you like. Since the dog was still alive, you need not report it.