Smashed rear window - - how????????

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2002, 07:59 PM
Richard Simpson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi there,

Earlier this afternoon the rear window for my girlfriends Micra was smashed! Pretty pissed off about it as its been a real hassle getting someone to come and fix it - Autowindscreens your ****e!

Anyway, we can't work out how it happened. There was nothing on the rear shelf, or in the rest of the car. No doors were opened etc. There was no rocks or anything that may have been flicked off the road, no bricks etc.

We are starting to get paranoid and think that we have pissed someone off, but I can't see it.... We live in a pretty respectable area and there were no kids hanging round etc and I haven't done anything to anyone!

A guy down the road thought it could have been the heat - is this possible. The car was sat with the rear window facing the sun from approx 10am to 3pm when it happened, so it was pretty hot approx 27 degrees - but enough to shatter glass??? On closer inspection there is a black strip about an inch and a half wide, all the way round the glass. Not the seal but actually in the glass, this was pretty hot, but could it have caused the shattering?

Any ideas, as I am picking my new car up tomorrow - an Impreza STi and I am paranoid that someone is going to have a go at it!

Any thoughts - could it have been the heat?

Cheers

Richard
Old 26 July 2002, 08:20 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Ask a Smart owner. No really, go and talk to one! Early Smarts were prone to having the rear heater smash the screen in just the way you describe, just by placing the glass under excessive thermal stress.

A mate of mine had the driver's window of his Scooby spontaneously shatter while he was on the motorway not so long ago - it can just happen. Presumably if someone had smashed your window deliberately there would be an obvious impact site?

Enjoy your STI,
Andy.
Old 26 July 2002, 08:43 PM
Richard Simpson
Scooby Regular

There was no single point that you could say, that's where it hit... it was just completely shattered! I hope it is just the heat, I'm not going to be sleeping much over the next few days....

Cheers

Rich

Old 26 July 2002, 08:53 PM
gixxerpower
Scooby Newbie

AndyC is right. The same thing happened with the early clio's when they came out. The way the heater elements were spread over the window caused it to smash when they got hot.