Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P1 - Observations

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2001, 11:01 PM
SteveB
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Picked up my new P1 last Friday after swapping in my faithful old red wagon that had served us well for nearly four years. Some observations of P1 ownership so far even though i'm being very good with the loud pedal.

Changes to Std are Leda B suspension, Alcon brakes and SS backbox.

Steering - Noticeably less feel to what the tyres are doing, not such a crisp turn-in. I can only put this down to my old car having S02's and this one having new PZeros ? 500 miles so far. Hopefully this will improve. Like the steering wheel though.

Suspension - Much better than on my old wagon - Is the P1 stiffer ? The suspension seems much more compliant yet when pressing on in corners feels more planted, less roll etc. maybe the strut brace is having an effect ? Does the P1 have thicker anti roll bars ? I'm using the same setting as before so far - 8 front, 6 back.

Engine - Feels in a different league. I didn't think my old MY97 was a hesitator, but it now makes me think, such is the smoothness of the power delivery. The bit i've tried so far that is. There's also much better pull from lower down the rev range - old car didn't pull much until 3k revs, the P1 is pulling from 2k revs.

Consumption - first tank, mostly m/way miles at around 75 to 85 - 296 before fuel light came on = 25+ish MPG.

Exhaust note - Much better just with the BB fitted. Must be the single cat in the downpipe making the difference.

Gearbox - My old car was fitted with quick shift but this has more directness to it where mine felt like it didn't want to be rushed too quickly. There's a crispness that the ols box didn't have.

As you can imagine, i'm very pleased.

Anyone else like to share their thoughts?

Steve.
Old 18 June 2001, 11:08 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

All I can say is congratulations on your new P1 and you're making me jealous.

WREXY.
Old 18 June 2001, 11:31 PM
Neil Barnes
Scooby Regular

Steve, Steve from Tileys must be making some money I must be in the wrong trade that is 4 P1 in the last few months. I still fell that the P1 is very close to the best car that I have ever driven and I am still getting used to the power after 3 months

Neil
Old 19 June 2001, 12:07 AM
p1 media
Scooby Regular

Al

the induction kit was fitted by Barretts Motorsports, cant remember what they fitted now, but it sounds great

Greg
Old 19 June 2001, 07:41 AM
Neil Micklethwaite
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi Steve

What the ol' wagons gone. ??

296 Miles to a tank - just remember that well as I don't think you'll see that again

I have SS D/P, Forge Atmos Dump Valve , P1 Back Box and Alcons. ALL WORTH IT !!

Just watch your chin spoiler.

Enjoy
Old 19 June 2001, 08:26 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

Talking

Picked up my P1 last thursday. In total agreement with the above comments. Only problem so far is the front spoiler. Even have to watch what I'm doing on the down ramps in car parks. Scrapes if you don't go dead slow. One question for the people who've modded there new cars.....What do Subaru say and how does it affect your warranty....I've heard stories of people fitting dump valves etc, then having an engine problem and IM won't pay up.....Probably just a story but I would be interested as I'd like a D/P.

Thanks

Paul

[This message has been edited by medders (edited 19 June 2001).]

[This message has been edited by medders (edited 19 June 2001).]
Old 19 June 2001, 08:29 AM
p1 media
Scooby Regular

Hi Steve

Observations...... does that include the whacky grin that I still have 3 months after buying one...

WOW ! what a car....

Greg

P1 - Scoobysport downpipe, centre section, prodrive back box, kick *** dump valve and induction kit, big brakes....
Old 19 June 2001, 09:13 AM
AL_SATION
Scooby Newbie

Guys,
What are the benefits of changing the dump valve ? (excuse ignorance).

P1 media - do you mind me asking which induction kit you went for, and can all that heat in the engine bay cause problems with it ?
Old 19 June 2001, 09:26 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Congratulations all you proud P1 owners/drivers

Can someone answer me a silly question?

The P1 I saw had a No-Towing sticker on the drivers door frame ..... is it that the P1 cannot BE towed? or that the P1 SHOULDNT tow?

AND, why should it be different than the standard car with regards towing warnings??

Pete
Old 19 June 2001, 09:32 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by pslewis:
<B>Congratulations all you proud P1 owners/drivers

Can someone answer me a silly question?

The P1 I saw had a No-Towing sticker on the drivers door frame ..... is it that the P1 cannot BE towed? or that the P1 SHOULDNT tow?

AND, why should it be different than the standard car with regards towing warnings??

Pete[/quote]

Pete!!!

Youve been very quiet recently. Still dont like P1's and gold wheels then.

Nice to hear from you!!

Jza
Old 19 June 2001, 09:36 AM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

AL_SATION,

The only advantage of a dump valve on all MY99-00 STI & P1 is the sound as the stock, item is large enough to handle mods too. I read this in the MRT Performance book.

WREXY.
Old 19 June 2001, 09:39 AM
AL_SATION
Scooby Newbie

No idea why it couldn't tow, I had a five door with a tow bar fitted.
Old 19 June 2001, 10:47 AM
PaulMc
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Pete,

I also asked an owner this question at bedfoed when I saw the sticker on the underside of the bonnet. I think the owner was John H... aka. Fatboy (or something), he mentioned it was because of the amount of torque produced that causes the problems when towing .
Don't know if this is the real reason or not though. There are other cars that produce more torque and can still tow aren't there?
Old 19 June 2001, 12:00 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Steve
I would have thought that a saloon would defo be stiffer than a five door, I'm not sure, but does the P1 have a folding seat or not? if not then it would be loads better,
I hope your happiness continues!
I don't think I'll make it up to the open day, but rest assured, I will see you at some point.
Ron.
Old 19 June 2001, 01:09 PM
Neil Micklethwaite
Scooby Regular

Smile

Al

I have a Forge MS Billet Atmos dump valve which is bascially one that has a slightly stiffer spring to the norm and it dumps to atmosphere whereas the normal one does not.

Sounds great ( if that's what you like - I do )

I find that the motor is a little more responsive on revs ( eager ? ).

Somebody posted the technical explanation sometime back on how it gets rid of gases and impact it has on the Turbo.

Try a search as I cannot remember it fully.

Pete - It says you shouldn't tow WITH a P1 but somebody has a tow bar fitted but I don't know if they frequent the BBS.
Old 19 June 2001, 01:26 PM
AL_SATION
Scooby Newbie

Everyone: Thanks for the info

Al
Old 19 June 2001, 01:47 PM
NOZZER
Scooby Regular

Talking

Steve,
Glad you like it. The suspension on my P1 is by far the best improvement up to my97, far less body roll and much more possitive. Time will tell on the track!
Power range is also better
I am also happy with the change i did 2 months ago
Ian
Old 19 June 2001, 02:49 PM
adamp
Scooby Regular

Talking

Wow, at last. An entire post where the P1 doesn't get slated. I've had mine for coming up to 6 months and I couldn't be happier. Sure there have been a couple of teething problems but no different to any other car I've owned and I wouldn't swop it for anything else at the moment.

Adam
Old 19 June 2001, 02:58 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Question

Does the lack of an answer on towing from the P1 owners mean they dont know???? surely they should as the notice is there everytime they get into their cars!!

It could be to do with the torque?? maybe it would pull the drawbar off anything!!!! but a P1 and flash speedboat would look good - so, why cant you tow with a P1??

Pete
Old 19 June 2001, 04:43 PM
jeremy
Scooby Regular

Steve: Regarding the steering on your P1. A while back myself and Pete Croney got into a discusion about bringing steering feel back to the Impreza. Our solution, fit a MY96' steering rack and pump to your P1. It is pretty much understood that the pre 96' cars actually did have the steering right. Call Pete and ask him to try to fit one onto your car.
Old 19 June 2001, 05:12 PM
Neil Micklethwaite
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

pslewis

I have noticed the note and heeded to it.

My speedboat would be a tad too heavy ( Ski Nautique 2001 - 454cc Chevy V8 - 300+ BHP - 60 Knots max )
Old 19 June 2001, 05:50 PM
Steve Breen
Scooby Regular

One theory about the "no towing" stickers is that there was not enough time, money or inclination to get the P1 approved for towing when it went for the European Approval. It would thus make for an interesting insurance/legal case if a P1 towing something had an accident.

Steve
Old 19 June 2001, 07:42 PM
p1 media
Scooby Regular

.. towing with a P1... why would you want too ??

Greg
Old 19 June 2001, 08:47 PM
z80
Scooby Regular

Hi SteveB, nice talking with you on the phone yesterday.

I've had the SS downpipe fitted on my P1. Just fantastic actually. No noise differences apart from a slight wooshing as you go up through the gears.

May yet go to PE to have the sports cat fitted & their BB. David Power reckons that'll be about another 20ish bhp & similar torque gains. Dunno about that but as I'm a nutter, I'll get it done anyway.

I'm the loony who delved into the fuel tanks & found Broquet in there already. AND being completely barking I put 2 more in for good luck. Differences ? about a 0.8 mpg improvement after 5 fill ups, doing the same route - hardly noticeable, yes, but a difference anyway.

Would you be interested in a small in-car, backlit LCD that read the outside air temp, turbo charger temp & the temp of the air after the intercooler? See you next Sunday & we could chat about this if you want.

Cheers

Simon

[This message has been edited by z80 (edited 19 June 2001).]
Old 19 June 2001, 09:20 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by p1 media:
<B>.. towing with a P1... why would you want too ??

Greg[/quote]

Maybe to get something large somewhere you want it - just a guess!!??

Is this something else the P1 cant do that my wagon can?? - and they want £10,000 more?! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA !!!

Pete

Old 19 June 2001, 10:59 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

pslewis,

you can tow with a P1, my mate has one and tows his dirtbike with it on a trailer.

tiggs

Old 20 June 2001, 07:41 AM
p1 media
Scooby Regular

pete

towing with a P1, well obviously to move large objects around, but seriously, couldnt even imagine someone wanting to do so....

.... isn't that what the wife's car is for

Greg
Old 20 June 2001, 09:07 AM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Should start to fall to bits in a thousand miles or so.
3 bumpers and spoilers later and now the gearbox is fecked.
Face it a good fun car that is **** build quality and to the ones who owned the first cars well overpriced.
Old 20 June 2001, 09:51 AM
paulmon
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by ARRON BIRD:
<B>Should start to fall to bits in a thousand miles or so.
3 bumpers and spoilers later and now the gearbox is fecked.
Face it a good fun car that is **** build quality and to the ones who owned the first cars well overpriced.[/quote]

I'm with you on this one Arron, I have had my P1 since March, which makes it 3 months old. I have done 6500 miles in it and it looks like I've done 65000. What a load of crap. If you take away the fact that it is a car with tons of performance and loads of fun, what you are left with is a Daewoo(spelling), but not quite as well built. Before I took delivery of the car I had every intention of keeping it for 3 years, but after 3 months I'm wishing I had borrowed the extra £8500 and not cancelled the order for the M3.

Do not buy this car if you intend to cover serious miles. The paintwork has got to be the worst example of it's kind.

Do yourself a favour.

Regards
Paul
Old 20 June 2001, 10:05 AM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Paul
It was widley known, and even recognised by IM!, that paintwork was a problem.
I'm not implying that it's acceptable but why are you surprised?
B

Quick Reply: P1 - Observations