Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

silver sti tailgating my missus

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2002, 10:10 PM
X SOOOBY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wife just got home tonight to tell me some ******* in an silver sti7 was tailgating her down the A13 trying to push her out of the way or coax her into some high speed jinx

he was 10` feet behind her with the middle lane full so she had no where to go now she drives the car as transport not out to race people etc.. she told me it was rather frightening

now i am not saying all sti7 owners are the same but was this one trying to tell my wife that he has got the king of the road or what

my measerly 285bhp in my my00 150kgs lighter than an sti so it was a shame i wasn`t driving
Old 21 July 2002, 10:19 PM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Sorry to hear this, my wife get's similar treatment when she takes mine out, it's frustrating for us for sure !!!

Bet they'd be a little different on track eh
Old 21 July 2002, 10:31 PM
midlife-crisis-scooby
Scooby Regular

Hope your wife is OK now, it can be very upsetting.

I was tailgated today by a dark blue ford Galaxy with a female driver and a family. It was so near it not only disappeared below the spoiler but also below the level of the boot lid!!.

Why? I was doing 30 MPH in a 30 zone with a known plod presence. I am an old man with zero points because I keep to the limit at the right time. There are no fixed speed cameras in Cumbria (read my lips, There are no fixed speed cameras in Cumbria) so there is fun aplenty but speeding down town is a no-no.

I would guess that most scoobynetters would not be such a ******* so I guess he / she hasn't joined !!

MLCS

Old 21 July 2002, 10:44 PM
X SOOOBY
Scooby Regular

thanks for the positives mello and mid can i call you by your first name

what was surprising was to be honest is we dont get tailgated that often and considering we live in south essex basildon southend etc.. i think that is surprising

so for it to be an sti7 it was a surprise

and yes mellow it would of been intresting if i had met him on track
Old 21 July 2002, 11:05 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

I get tailgated quite a lot when I stick to the speed limits. You're not on your own!
Old 22 July 2002, 12:55 AM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

You Know You're wrong when:
- you let a female drive your car
- you drive a rally car on the motorway
- you live in a country where speed limits are enforced
Old 22 July 2002, 01:10 AM
Moles Dad
Scooby Regular

I suppose thats French humour?

I think its out of order to treat people like that...my wife also gets the 'cmon race!' treatment when she is out in 'our' scoob.

She always comes home and tells me, every bl00dy time! "You wait till my husbands driving it, then you wont be smirkin'"

She is no slouch, but by the same token she is 'not at home' driving FAST !

Generally (and I mean the majority), of women are not into racing on the road...good in my book, so blokes that scare women just cos they are driving a reasonably fast car...dont, its not big and its not clever!
Old 22 July 2002, 08:33 AM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

[-edited to remove naughty anti french stuff-]

[Edited by Dizzy - 7/22/2002 8:40:45 AM]
Old 22 July 2002, 08:39 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Dizzy, keep it pleasant please...

Tailgaiting is a personal pet hate. On a motorway, washing your lights is a good move - you can see people immediately back off and put on the windscreen wipers.

In a 30 zone, the thing that annoys me is being tailgated by buses, especially down one road where there's a pile of flowers tied to a bus-stop. "Go figure why". *sigh*

Monday morning rant over, I feel better now
Old 22 July 2002, 08:44 AM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

Talking

sorry chiark
I thought they were funny Mind you I found some really funny jokes though

I know what you mean about tailgating though I often get tailgated in 30 limits Only time I'm ever tempted to tailgate is on the motorway which is completely clear and some TW*T is sat in the middle lane [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] Never do it then though I may give them a flash as I move into the fast lane and then back to the left lane

Has anyone else notice on the M40 too when it goes to 4 or 5 lanes everyone sits 1 lane from the right?!?!

[Edited by Dizzy - 7/22/2002 8:45:45 AM]
Old 22 July 2002, 09:24 AM
petersen
Scooby Regular

I also live in the Stanford Le Hope area and have seen a couple of ***** driving Imprezas stupidly recently. My wife gets more grief than me when driving the Scooby and even more when driving the Lotus.

I think it's more to do with testosterone overloaded blokes who think that women can't and shouldn't drive performance cars.

I for one think it's cool!!!
Old 22 July 2002, 09:53 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Cheers Dizzy, no worries. Found 'em funny, but before long the accusation of something beyond humour (r****m) would have turned up. *sigh*

Nick.
Old 22 July 2002, 10:20 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
LOL at Claudius (again)
Hey, mate, you haven't fallen foul of the "Flics", and their mobile radar yet then??
I once got done over there in a 16Valve Astra 150bhp job. Had gone 15 miles on busy twisties behind a long queue and a "camper" van. The road went dual, I floored it, passed the lot, and ran through a radar at the end of the dual where it went back to 90kph doing 142 (according to sgt Flic).
Got 900 franc fine on the spot!!! ( about £93 then), 300 for being over 90, 300 for being over 110, and 300 for being over 130!!!. And that was b4 they increased the fines!!
No points though, so still smiling after I'd finished paying up. OUCH!! DOUBLE OUCH!! TREBLE OUCH!!!
Still love France, and would rather live there than here any day.
Wot car you got Claudius? Bet it's an MPV with a spoiler, and you drive it like a rally car?? My son calls them "vans with windows, and a handle on top".
Where abts you from in France? I'm off to the Drome this summer, near Crest, and we've just bought a house to do up near St. Mathieu (87).
Cheers m8, Alcazar
Old 22 July 2002, 11:06 AM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Me and the wife actually get LESS hastle in the Scoob that we do in her car?. Not NONE. just LESS.

Why, because its looks the part and people dont pull out on you, as they would normally. I suppose thats the benefit of a 2door scoob.

Every time I drive her car, its as though its open season on not indicating and cutting me up.

Old 22 July 2002, 11:25 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I don't get the hassle, wifey gets some, but what we both get is tw@s who flash, shake fists, flip us off etc when we pass them in the Scooby, but not when we do it in the Xantia.
I just waana know WHY????
Old 22 July 2002, 11:36 AM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

lol I remember saxo boy commenting just the same

I've had one **** (who I used to pass everyday home from work) who sticks his right indicator on as though hes turning as I start to make my passing manouver... mind you I've seen him do that to everyone [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

I've not really had too much trouble like that but I'm always too woried when I overtake
Old 22 July 2002, 04:00 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

Chiark,

what's wrong with anti French stuff? Are you one of those traitors who like France even though they are football rivals with the UK? LOL

Come on, it's all good fun, no one seriously hates anybody who's a fellow rally car enthusiast just because he lives a few hundred miles (or even kilometers ) down south, right? The French make fun of the English when they come to France on a holiday and their skin turns red instead of brown, and the English make fun of the French because of their pride of all sorts of things that go wrong in the end. But at the end of the day, we might end up in GERMANY!!! getting drunk on beer after a nice day at the ring, right?

Peace and God bless as moses would say

Claudius
Old 22 July 2002, 04:11 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

There is one sure way to get tailgaters to back off - get a flamer kit fitted and scorch their front bumper

The best plan though if they are hell bent on getting past is just pull over and let them past, its just not worth getting your car and insurance stuffed by some muppet.
Old 22 July 2002, 04:12 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

LOL at Claudius (again)
Hey, mate, you haven't fallen foul of the "Flics", and their mobile radar yet then??
I once got done over there in a 16Valve Astra 150bhp job. Had gone 15 miles on busy twisties behind a long queue and a "camper" van. The road went dual, I floored it, passed the lot, and ran through a radar at the end of the dual where it went back to 90kph doing 142 (according to sgt Flic).
Got 900 franc fine on the spot!!! ( about £93 then), 300 for being over 90, 300 for being over 110, and 300 for being over 130!!!. And that was b4 they increased the fines!!
No points though, so still smiling after I'd finished paying up. OUCH!! DOUBLE OUCH!! TREBLE OUCH!!!
Still love France, and would rather live there than here any day.
Wot car you got Claudius? Bet it's an MPV with a spoiler, and you drive it like a rally car?? My son calls them "vans with windows, and a handle on top".
Where abts you from in France? I'm off to the Drome this summer, near Crest, and we've just bought a house to do up near St. Mathieu (87).
Cheers m8, Alcazar
LOL!

Good to see people like yourself who do not take everything so damn serious when it comes to humourous statements against women or other ethnic groups. I dont hate anybody (except the guy who invented the radar )

The FLICS are always at the end of dual carriageways, so I never go too fast there (in fact, a friend of mine holds evidence that I actually sticked to a speed limit on one of them once ) But I have never seen them in one of the special stage type back roads we have here in the south of France. Normal cars dont go fast there, so not much money. But that's where the fun is, so I dont run too much of a risk. And £90 a year is fine (LOL!) with me... but last time I went 150 instead of 110 (kph) I only paid £60 (maybe they ripped you off? )

The Drome is kind of far away from here, I live in between Nice and Menton (Italian border) on the French Riviera.

Not sure I should tell you what I drive, but I'll let you guess: it has AWD, 2l turbo engine, 3 LSDs and a big spoiler in the back
Old 22 July 2002, 04:28 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Talking

I think it's more to do with testosterone overloaded blokes who think that women can't and shouldn't drive performance cars.
I think there may be an element of truth in that! When I'm driving the scoob on my own I get more hassle than I do when I'm driving the MX5. It all depends on the traffic conditions as to whether I show them my tail lights or not

I've had some great 'plays' in the scoob, in fact just the other day I had a great play with a Cossie for a few miles. He eventually turned off (or gave up ) and as he did so waved and flashed me, I waved back That's really nice when that happens!

Sometimes I get ***** hassling me on the motorway about 3 inches from my bumper and I really don't want to race them (nothing whatsoever to prove) so wait until there's a nice long uphill section, drop a gear and floor it all the while laughing to myself as they disappear backwards in my rear view mirror

Sal
Old 22 July 2002, 04:58 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Claudius, more than happy to give and take. However, it's very difficult to write something in a way that no-one will find offensive and cry "scoobynet is condoning it and therefore is institutionally ... " to at the slightest insult. It's happened before and caused beaucoup de merde for our webmaster. Yes, it's pathetic and it is political correctness gone mad. It'll change when the world grows up...

Myself, j'aime les grenouilles mais je sais que le monde n'aime pas les roastbeefs. C'est une pomme-frite sur notre épaule. :P
Old 22 July 2002, 04:59 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

"Voici le coin"
Old 22 July 2002, 05:02 PM
andyp1
Scooby Regular

This topic is getting boring now. The point has been made
Old 22 July 2002, 05:03 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

Oh dear! I'm sorry, I dont want anybody to sue you! But hey, wait a minute, I didnt say anything this time, did I? It was dizzy!! hehehehe!!

On se calme, on reste cool, on ne prend pas trop les choses à coeur et tout ira bien
Old 22 July 2002, 05:27 PM
petersen
Scooby Regular

Excusez-moi, mais est-ce que Le Scoobynet a decide de traverser La Manche pour que nous autres Scoobynetters puissions parler en Francais???
Old 22 July 2002, 05:39 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

ROTFLMFAO at Petersen
Well done mate, that's coffee on my keyboard twice today!!!!
Old 22 July 2002, 05:47 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

le scoobynet a toujours été global, non?