Sponsored by:

POLICE WASTE OF TIME!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 18 July 2002, 10:11 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

This is not a rant at Police officers but at the Police Force.

Driving home from work at 3pm this afternoon I pass a transit van, two Volvo T5's and a Focus Panda car doing "Traffic Enforcement" in a Village called Warsop near Mansfield. Must have been between 8 and 10 officers deployed to this task.

I live next to a wardened old folks area, I'm the last house next to these Bungalows. Near me is an area which is like a small service road to some shops and a few Bungalows. I hear a few loud bangs a take a look to find three teenagers have a large crossbow and are firing at different targets, wheelybins, sheds that sort of thing. An old fella comes out to protest but is told, by one of the teenagers to go back in or he might become a target himself (But not so politly).

I come straight back in and dail the Police, I can no longer talk to our local Police but go through to Nottingham and tell them the story. I then get put through to Mansfield, tell them the story again and they decide its an Emergency, put through to that desk and tell the story & my details again.

After an hour no Police have arrived, I ring them back and I'm bumped from desk to desk then told that they have no armed response unit to attend and will not send out normal officers in Panda's. Three hours have gone by now, lads with crossbow have gone, damage has been done, all the old folk are scared and the Police still haven't shown up. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

The Police / Government need to sort out their priorities!!

Lee
Old 18 July 2002, 10:16 PM
Attu
Scooby Regular

To Busy making money by doing Traffic Enforcement again ?????

Andy
Shark
Scooby Regular

Angry

[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Angry

I agree
Old 18 July 2002, 10:31 PM
Moles Dad
Scooby Regular

Old 18 July 2002, 10:35 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Its a health and safety thing I'm afraid......

Not saying its right, but its the way it is now.

I for one wouldn't fancy being the officer that's sent to confront someone with a crossbow - kids or not. I know that its not helping your neighbours, nor your confidence in the police or the system, but a dead police officer is no good to anyone.

Even sustaining an injury puts the officer at risk of being pensioned out of the service...... not an easy thing to swallow when you put your life on the line for the good of society.

When we were training, we were once shown a video of a seige in Leicestershire in the 1970's. (I think) There, a man armed with a shotgun and a handgun, had taken hostages in a mid town house.

The first police officer on the scene approached the house and was shot dead.

The second went to help the first officer, and was also shot dead.

Two ambulance crew who attended to help the officers, were also shot when they attended.

In short, there were many injuries and fatalities before the matter in hand was taken on.

Again, I apologise for the lack of service, but as the police service is now run as a business, then business practices become the norm.

There are at least 4 firearms incidents in Leeds every day. God know how many in Manchester, Birmingham or London.

Its not easy being a hero, let alone a dead or injured one.
Old 18 July 2002, 10:43 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
u should have said there was a guy handing out brown envelopes
Old 18 July 2002, 10:45 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
BTW
Good on that farmer bloke Tony Martin for defending his property. One less dole scrounging toe rag thief about
Old 18 July 2002, 10:49 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Burr,

Like I said not having a go at the officers.

BUT, the money is allocated to provide 4 units for speed traps and no cover to protect the elderly in the same area on the same day.

I understand fully the H&S side of things I'm an engineer in a very dangerous industry and 80% of my time is taken up with safety, but we prioritise our resourses to provide the maximum cover safely.

Is this the Government or Police HQ thats at fault then?

Lee
Old 18 July 2002, 10:52 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

I know you weren't having a go m8

as for who's fault..... I'd say the local upper management and the government. Remember this - the police's upper management are usually trained to investigate crime and as a result are relatively poor managers. (IMHO)

tbh - the government has thrown a lot of money towards the police for these kind of speed initiatives, usually through the local councils. Those of you that recently saw the West Yorkshire site, will see that its a joint venture between the West yorks police and the local authority.

Also, that speed trap affair may have been set up as a result of locals demanding it? Who knows?

Things need changing, but its gonna take someone with ***** to do it I suppose.
Old 18 July 2002, 10:54 PM
D Hill 555
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

will the last DECENT person living in england turn of the lights when they leave
Old 18 July 2002, 10:58 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

No Armed Response??? B*****

Use the Press....

Phil
Old 18 July 2002, 10:59 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

The press are no good at stopping bullets / crossbows

....sorry, I'll get my coat. I know its not the time or the place
Old 18 July 2002, 11:06 PM
SCOOBERATORS
Scooby Regular

Angry

Our country gets worse and worse.Its no wonder you here of so many people emergrating.
Old 18 July 2002, 11:11 PM
JGRIFF
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

operational matters are the sole responsibility of the Chief Constable, polititians are not allowed (by law) to become involved in operational decision making
Old 18 July 2002, 11:14 PM
bug-eyed wonder
Scooby Regular

Its a health and safety thing I'm afraid......
WTF are you lot being paid for! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] What about the health and safety of the public you are allegedly being paid to protect? Are we now in a situation were the police will only respond to a cat stuck up a tree or some mundane incident. Surely joining the force nobody is under the illusion that there isn't going to be a considerable element of risk at times.

When we were training, we were once shown a video of a seige in Leicestershire in the 1970's. (I think) There, a man armed with a shotgun and a handgun, had taken hostages in a mid town house.
Good to see an up to date approach taken in training!

Old 18 July 2002, 11:14 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

So carrying a crowsbow and shooting someone with it is okay? Cool.

What about swords? I've always fancied being a Highlander.
Old 18 July 2002, 11:30 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

I am afraid that B-E W has a point!

Why should the police not attend a "situation" because "they might get hurt", yet innocent members of the public are exposed to risks that they are not a) used to, b) insured for, c) bullet-proof/anti-stab vest proofed - and if incapacitated are definitedly not pensioned for!!

DEAR MR. BLAIR, PLEASE SPEND SOME MONEY ON THE POLICE!!!!

mb
Old 18 July 2002, 11:30 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

i'm sorry i have to say the this they are about as much ******* use as an ashtray on a motorbike at times, **** the victims it's the scum that has more rights than us poor *******s.

I say chop their fecking hands off and be done with it.

And i feel sorry for the poor old farmer Tony Martin that might have to pay the fcukwit from Newark £50000 in compensation for shooting him as far as im concerned it's his fault so **** him.

What legal system it's in favor of the ******* scum.

Rant mode off

Huxley
Old 18 July 2002, 11:33 PM
bug-eyed wonder
Scooby Regular

I am afraid that B-E W has a point!
No need to sound surprised!
Old 18 July 2002, 11:42 PM
Luke
BANNED

Bunch of Girls..... Now had it been a parking offence the real law in this country would have had it all sorted in Minutes..Traffic wardens,They get the job done.

If you believe you are a good copper ..good for you.. But as for your mates..
Old 18 July 2002, 11:51 PM
KWS
Scooby Regular

Angry

You join to serve the community. You get paid to risk your life to uphold the law - armed or not.

B*****ks to health & safety. Protect, don't persecute!

Anyway, enough ranting.

KWS
Old 18 July 2002, 11:55 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

In Soviet Russia the thieves are sent to Gulag..
Old 19 July 2002, 12:00 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

I'm not saying anything is right or wrong..... just that you need the right tools for the job. In this case, any armed offenders are to be dealt with by armed response units.

I joined the job to help people - not get shot and leave 3 orphans and a widow, and the person who did it with a conviction for manslaughter (which, lets face it is all they'd probably get on the grounds of diminished responsibility, judging by the standards of the courts these days )

I've put my neck, my career and my *** on the line in the past, as some of you have already read.... has it changed your opinion of me? I can't answer that.

I don't get paid enough to put my life on the line. I can help people in plenty of other ways than to make my kids wonder if I'm going to come home every day.

When they give me the right tools to do the job, then I may answer differently, but I tell you, my hands are tied by beaurocracy.....

the day they give me a gun, is the day I quit.

[Edited by BuRR - 7/19/2002 12:02:01 AM]
Old 19 July 2002, 12:05 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
So how many armed response units are there in each police division? All it takes is for a few mates to get together and organise a few hits at the same time and the public is 100% screwed based on what you are saying.

The way things are going right now, it's not going to be long before you NEED firearms to do the job. The longer you let this slide continue the more likely that is.
Old 19 July 2002, 12:07 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

West Yorkshire have about 3 or 4 regional armed response units, consisting of about 3-4 cars (2 officers in each) for each region.

Not many, I agree.

Again, please don't shoot the messenger.

(no pun intended )

[Edited by BuRR - 7/19/2002 12:09:01 AM]
Old 19 July 2002, 12:08 AM
bug-eyed wonder
Scooby Regular

First of all this isn't a personal "go" at you. Going back to the original incident it clearly states that after 3 hours no action was taken by the police. Would it be so far fetched for a member of the public to expect some form of response.
I have had personal experience of the total indifference the police seem to have nowadays. People will make their assumptions from real facts not what someone posts on the internet.
Old 19 July 2002, 12:11 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

I was reading an article today, written by a local Leeds MP, who spent a whole week with the patrol officers at Holbeck (Leeds sub-division).

If I remember, I'll copy it here. Makes interesting reading to say the least. I think he was initially a sceptic, but when allowed to see "behind the scenes" he appreciated what a hard task the guys at the rough end actually get.
Old 19 July 2002, 12:12 AM
bug-eyed wonder
Scooby Regular

Also assuming that logiclee didn't blow his phone call out of all proportion,why would an armed unit be necessary for 3 teenagers with a crossbow?
Old 19 July 2002, 12:13 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

and in response to your question B-E-W , please try and find my post over the last few days.....

I can only speak for Leeds here, but yes - calls in east Leeds can sometimes take up to 2-3 days to attend, due to the huge volume of calls and limited resources available to deployment.

Again, not saying its right or wrong. Just a fact.

Quick Reply: POLICE WASTE OF TIME!!!!!!!!