I don't want to race you.......go away

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2001, 08:32 PM
DMB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Rant Mode On

Why is it that some drivers just have to have a go??

Today I was tailgated by a golf VR6 on the inside lane of a dual carridge way @ 70mph....the outside lane was clear.

If you want to go faster overtake me, don't sit a meter off my rear bumper and try to push me into a race

I know i've got a quick car but that doesn't mean I want to race any takers and this wasn't the first time (nova's are generally slower than scoobies I think you will all agree)

Pi**es me off

Rant Mode Off

thanks for listening - i'm off to get a large beer now

Old 13 August 2001, 08:53 PM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Angry

Can be a right pain in the @rse.

But sometimes difficult to resist

Oh and mines a pint thanks.

Ian
Old 13 August 2001, 09:27 PM
turbo spudgun
Scooby Regular

Angry

dmb
know exactly what you mean. but if u think its bad in a scooby, take regular journeys in an evo6!
every feckin journey is a war. people downright hate the thing, it brings out the worst in other drivers. my girlfriend even has nova saloons trying it on. it never stops. i hate going anywhere in it, i really do.
used to get grief in my old my00, the sti5 attracted a little less attention for some reason, dunno why.
my current car gets well left alone they can try, and but often dont, but they wont win. a lot of people dont even know what it is, and those that do realise they would be making a big mistake
god i hate repmobiles
Old 13 August 2001, 09:38 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Lightbulb

DMB,

thats what ya headlamp washers are for

A quick spray, just to clean the lenses mind, has the pleasant side effect of catching the windscreen of cars driving too close behind.

mb
Old 14 August 2001, 08:53 AM
blubell
Scooby Regular

Could be tempting to see how well their brakes work :-)
Old 14 August 2001, 09:05 AM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Only thing with the braking game ends up in road rage game, unless your particulary handy dont bother, just keep going slower and slower. failing that cog it dowm and burn em off, road conditions permitting of coures. Ha must laugh though! i had a smart car right up my exhaust! god job it didnt fall in! Lee
Old 14 August 2001, 09:58 AM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Drop a cog.....rest your left foot on the brake pedal.....press right foot hard.....wave goodbye
Old 14 August 2001, 10:59 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

To be honest, I've not really had a problem with this, possibly cos the tailgaters are probably laughing too hard at the blackbeast

When it does happen I do one of two things, floor it, which is the reaction they wanted, or, and the main action, slow down, usually pulling into the inside lane as well, they then get the message and give the car a nice long hard stare as they go past, some have even given me the thumbs up when they go past, and then they tear **** up the road.
Old 14 August 2001, 11:05 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Zoiks.

MY01 doesn't have headlamp washers!!!!

I wouldn't notice if someone was trying to race me. I don't care.

[This message has been edited by BarryK (edited 14 August 2001).]
Old 14 August 2001, 11:17 AM
Pete_UK99
Scooby Regular

Yeah I've had this a lot. I've only had my UK300 just over a month and already I've had at least four people do this. Just after my 1000 miles service I was going up the road. Had a Yamaha R1 drive up beside the car. Started pointing fowards suggesting that I race him. I just laughed and shook my head. I don't mind racing Nova's and the like because it only takes a few hundred metres to prove your point . But there's no way I'm racing other fast vehicles, it just becomes way to dangerous on normal roads. He then pulled away and done a wheelie all the way down the road.
Old 14 August 2001, 11:33 AM
Warped Chris
Scooby Regular

Wink

Turbo Spudgun - I've got an Evo VI and very rarely get any problems. The Nova brigade never bother - last idiot was in an XKR!

Occasionally things recede in the mirror a little more slowly than I expect, though

Chris
Old 14 August 2001, 01:26 PM
davidw
Scooby Regular

Wink

The exact same thing happened to me the other day, a guy in a Vectra pulled behind me at 60mph about a foot off my rear bumper.

I slowed down to about 20 so as to avoid a nasty accident as instructed in the highway code

The guy was obviously highly impressed with my "safety at all times" driving technique because he started waving, which was nice

I was pleased when he flashed his lights because he reminded me that mine where dirty and needed a good clean

This prompted him to wash his windscreen which meant he had a much better view of me, also good for road safety. I could also see him waving more clearly

When he finally overtook me I'm sure he said "Muck off you banker", obviously referring to my clean headlights and the fact I'd just been to the ATM. What a pleasant chap

Just slow down and let them overtake. I prefer to have them in front rather than behind me.

Old 14 August 2001, 01:31 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by turbo spudgun:
<B>
know exactly what you mean. but if u think its bad in a scooby, take regular journeys in an evo6!
[/quote]

Sorry I've been away for a week - have you swapped the STi5 for an EVO6???

Old 14 August 2001, 02:50 PM
simon_prickett
Scooby Regular

I got the nod and a lot of revs from a Fireblade bike next to me at some lights this morning. So, I pootled off at very slow mph and he stalled on the line, I had to control the giggles before he caught up with me at the next lights :-)

I don't condone road racing etc...
Old 14 August 2001, 03:09 PM
dustbin hoffman
Scooby Regular

I have to admit to having a bit of a race now and again, but not with t*ssers in vectras etc. I hardly ever get any grief from the usual idiots probably because the 5dr scooby doesn't stand out as much, and when I do it doesn't take long to prove my point.

I do however have the occassional race with other Scoobs which is a completely different experience altogether.
Instead of the usual crap of the other guy putting his life on the line to try and prove that his car is faster and that he is a better driver, it has actually been quite a friendly fun experience with us taking it in turns to chase each other, and waiting for each other at roundabouts etc.
Then there are always waves exchanged with light flashes when one of us pulls off.

I've had this experience with a few Scoobs.
Actually, Evo and Skyline owners seem to have the same attitude, as do GTiR owners.
I wonder how many of the owners read this?

[This message has been edited by dustbin hoffman (edited 14 August 2001).]

[This message has been edited by dustbin hoffman (edited 14 August 2001).]
Old 14 August 2001, 03:48 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

never get raced. ever.

play around on motorway late at night, overtaking in turn, but never a proper race.

I like it that way. If it is worthwhile it is going to be another fast car, and teh speeds required are seriosuly license threatening, so I would rather sit back safe in the knowledge that my car is kewl!
Old 14 August 2001, 03:56 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Don't like real racing on the road. Will have a go off the lgihts if the other person looks respectable, but only up to the speed limit.
Having a real blast on the road just becomes a case of who cares less about losing their licence. I can't afford to lose mine, so I usually quit first.
Old 14 August 2001, 06:20 PM
old but gold
Scooby Regular

Amazing that I have been driving over 30 years and only recently experienced my first "road rage" albeit minor. Passed a white van before some road works which cut 2 lanes down to one. Pulled in with loads of room to spare - slowed down to 60 in 50mph speed limit for road works - he came right up behind, put on full headlights, put hand on horn & left it there for all the time it took to get out of the section. When I pulled over 100 yds further on to turn right he rolled down his wondow and spat at me !! How's that for over-reaction to a poor old lady in a P1?

Old 14 August 2001, 06:20 PM
Rikki23
Scooby Regular

Will have a few off the lines with decent cars.

Only cars I have 'played with' at any speed are a 911 Turbo and a very fast Merc, both on long stretch of clear dual carriageway.

I find the repmobiles, Vectras, Golfs, Mondeos, some BMWs are by far the worst for tailgating and trying it on. I simply slow down and let them overtake. People with powerful sportscars seem to have a bit more respect for some reason.

Old 14 August 2001, 07:10 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Unhappy

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by BarryK:
<B>Zoiks.
MY01 doesn't have headlamp washers!!!!
[/quote]

Oooh 'eck!!!

mb
Old 14 August 2001, 07:24 PM
vmax
Scooby Regular

I agree with Rikki23,

Why would you spend 20K+ on a scooby to race Nova's and vectras. In fact racing on the road is a no no. Haven't you seen the news with all the new speed cameras going up around the country
Old 14 August 2001, 07:40 PM
turbo spudgun
Scooby Regular

vmax
i dont wanna race novas, or anyone else really, i just getsick of the tailgaiting, as i'm sure everyone else does too.

gary c
you dont wanna know mate. long story, but a month ago i helped princess out. the evo6 is hers god help us!
therefore evo's are for girls i have a mans car

dustbin hoffman
a lot of readers here dont have scoobys at the mo, me included. but i fully agree with your comments

and i still hate repmobiles
Old 14 August 2001, 07:51 PM
sulli
Scooby Regular

Lmao David W - funny as ****.

I must admit i've raced a couple of scoobys, have not riled em into racing, they've just fancied it and so have I - all friendly and usually finished with a wave or flash of lights.

In my 205 1.9 i've had a great, safeish, race with a scoob, him quicker on the straight, and me amazingly just as quick round corners -I think maybe he was new to his scoob??

In Astra Gsi, i've yet to race a scoob, won't look for one, but if it comes along it's a good way to test ur car against a seriously quick motor, although Gsi aint slow. Never do anything stupid, never race in built up areas, and usually only on quiet roads.
Old 14 August 2001, 08:12 PM
DMB
Scooby Regular

Talking

I actually slowed down and the to55er eventually took the hint that i wasn't going to play. I did consider flooring it and left foot braking but why give him the pleasure??

Have to say i didn't think of the headlight washers - seems the way to go
Old 14 August 2001, 08:15 PM
DMB
Scooby Regular

Cool

Oh yeah

Davidw ROFLMAO
Old 14 August 2001, 09:55 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

If I'm at the lights (right hand lane)and Nova boy wants to play then I let him know I'm going to race him. I'll make eye contact, rev the engine and give him the finger. He's usually really up for it when the lights change.

I then procede to drop the revs and slowly turn right as he dissapears in a cloud of noisy smoke up the road. Oh how I chuckle to myself thinking of him squirming at the fact that I've just wound him up in front of his girlfriend.

F
Old 14 August 2001, 10:03 PM
turbo spudgun
Scooby Regular

@floyd
Old 15 August 2001, 12:02 PM
14,500rpm
Scooby Regular

Smile

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by davidw:
<B>The exact same thing happened to me the other day, a guy in a Vectra pulled behind me at 60mph about a foot off my rear bumper.

I slowed down to about 20 so as to avoid a nasty accident as instructed in the highway code

The guy was obviously highly impressed with my "safety at all times" driving technique because he started waving, which was nice

I was pleased when he flashed his lights because he reminded me that mine where dirty and needed a good clean

This prompted him to wash his windscreen which meant he had a much better view of me, also good for road safety. I could also see him waving more clearly

When he finally overtook me I'm sure he said "Muck off you banker", obviously referring to my clean headlights and the fact I'd just been to the ATM. What a pleasant chap

Just slow down and let them overtake. I prefer to have them in front rather than behind me.

[/quote]

outstanding!

14,500rpm
Old 16 August 2001, 12:10 AM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Yep, I drive a REP MOBILE! Prob because its my job to do so! AND its a Vectra (sri with K&N no too bad ) get the scoob in Feb next year

Until then i allways let scoobs through, NEVER try it on (as i know better) i would'nt even try to race a scoob sport cos i know for a fact that id get me backside kicked good style...

Now and again i am FORCED to overtake a scoob cos the driver is goin at 50mph on a dual. Its so -ing.

As to the Nova boys, what are those guys on? even my Vecy can beat most of em! (not all i might add). Any bait that i do take is a moderately quick blast to the speed limit then back off (it the best way)!

reading through this thread it is good to see that the general feeling on this subject is NOT to race at all. This is the way to go, keep the racing for track days!

cheers Guys & Gals

Steve
Old 16 August 2001, 12:44 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

i get it in my mk2 clio 172 all the time, especially from audi tt's. they just cant keep up

seconds away, round 2.............

Quick Reply: I don't want to race you.......go away