Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R5 GT Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2001, 07:47 PM
Vinesh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I own R5 GT Turbo and today morning I noticed oil on the drive, so I opened the bonnet to check where it came from. To my horror I saw oil splattered on the front side of the engine. For advice I contacted my uncle to check where the oil came from. He checked all possible areas and found no trace of a leak. He came up with a possible answer that the dipstick was not inserted properly in hole and thats why the oil overflowed in the engine bay (Only on the front-side of the engine, where the dipstick is). I'm going to drop off the car to the local garage tomorrow for a check up.

I would like to know from you technicial minded people out there to verify that this can happen if the dipstick is not inserted properly?

Cheers
(i know this area is mainly for Scoobies, but I'm in a need for some advice).
Old 17 June 2001, 07:51 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

I know that it can happen, dunno if that is your problem, but you can lose oil if the dipstick is not fully seated.
Old 17 June 2001, 08:43 PM
X SOOOBY
Scooby Regular

yeh i had that with a old car of mine you`d be suprised how much can escape
Old 17 June 2001, 09:16 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Red face

Vinesh - I did the same on an Izuzu Trooper I was using as a course car on a rally.....ran a 7 mile stage after we had a service only to get to the end and a marshall to ask what all the smoke was that was billowing from the grill - oil on hot manifold equals me using fire extinguisher pretty damn quick....my how we laffed that night
Old 18 June 2001, 01:34 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

don't know where the engine breather is on R5s but it could be blocked and causing the oil to push up the dipstick tube ... if you can check the breather easy (could be in the oil filler cap) then I'd do so.
Old 18 June 2001, 01:55 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Vinesh,

I had a R5GTT many years back (god I feel old) and one day, didn't replace the dipstick at all. Exactly the same result as you, oil over everything.
Old 18 June 2001, 02:05 PM
Dragon
Scooby Regular

Common problem, and probably the answer.

I had a Pug GTi that did this a couple of times and it frightened the life out of me.
Solution; wrap a small strip of insulating tape around the plastic sleeve of the dipstick and push it in tightly - lasts for ages and does a pretty good job.

Normally if the dipstick has popped out the car will hunt on idle - have you noticed it runs lumpy? Also, as already said, check you haven't got a blocked breather (think it's on the back of the block) and it's all sludged up.

Jim.
Old 18 June 2001, 07:17 PM
Vinesh
Scooby Regular

The mechanic could not find a leak. He cleaned the engine and asked my to drive it a couple of days, as its going in for a serivce on friday and he will check the car over again.

The breather filter is dirty. When the car is at idle and the gas pedal is pressed, there was fumes coming out the breather filter (Breather filter near the oil filler)

do u think if I replace this with an pipercross filter will solve my problem.

From the paper work the previous owner gave me indicated the breather filter was put on by GT Tuning (Part of the engine mods done) at around 35k and at the moment the car has 49k.

Thanks for your help everyone.