Sponsored by:

Which Service is due?

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2001, 01:08 PM
Greg115
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

My car has now covered 27700 miles but 6 months has elapsed since the last service. However it is now 25 months old. It is still under warranty for another year but is not doing many miles at all. I think it still wont have reached 30000 by Christmas.

The dealer says I should get the 30000 mile service done as it is over 24 months old. I also got a second opinion from another dealer and they also said the same. Is this correct? or should I just get an oil and filter change done and get the 30000 done later?

Any advice helpful.

Greg
Old 08 June 2001, 02:12 PM
robin lowry
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

It's probably worth it if you can afford it. 30,000 is a big service and costs a lot. If the car does a lot of small journeys the oil will deteriate quicker and loose some of it's lubrication properties, so maybe just get that changed for now if you can't or don't want to pay for the biggie. I think spark plugs and brake fliud are changed on this service also. but I may be wrong, it's a long time since I had one done.
Old 08 June 2001, 03:32 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Hi Greg,

People would probably argue hear, but I personally would get oil and filter and leave the rest till you do the correct miles.
Early services muddle things up, as you would have to track back history at the next service to see if you had performed any part of the next service. So it would be like 'I changed this at 27000miles so lets not change it here'. The only thing is I don't know if Subaru, for warranty purposes, look at dates of services or only the mileage. If they only look at mileage you could get away with oil/filter.
I've had my car for 11 months and have done 6000, miles. Another low mileage car. I changed the oil and filter on my own twice, and will go to the dealer for the 7500 mile service. Up to you in the end. I'm not sure if it's the correct advice, but for my self, oil & filter only.

Cheers m8,
WREXY.
Old 08 June 2001, 03:42 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

I would personally get the 30,000 Mile service done. If you read the little sticker on the drivers door (The one warning you to let the car idle for 1 minute) you will see it states that the car should be serviced every 7,500 miles or 6 months, whichever is sooner.

It's only 2300 miles early stop being so tight!

From memory the 30,000 mile service covers oil, oil filter, Engine Coolant, Fuel Filter, Air Filter, Spark Plugs, Transmission and Diff oil and Brake Fluid.
Old 08 June 2001, 04:02 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

No one's talking about being tight, I just don't like the mix up at services when this happens, as I have had bad experiences with my other car, when things that should have been changed didn't. Tracking back was a problem for me.

WREXY.

[This message has been edited by WREXY (edited 08 June 2001).]

[This message has been edited by WREXY (edited 08 June 2001).]
Old 09 June 2001, 01:33 PM
Greg115
Scooby Regular

Cool

Its not really a question of money, although I like to be sensible with it. The thing is it is unlikely that the car will move much until March 2003. Why? Cause Im on an assignment in Norway until then and the only time the car will get driven is

a) If the missus needs a bigger car than her own.
b) If I pop over for the weekend.
c) Christmas and Easter.

I will get the 30000 done because the car is getting a little bit rough, and I really think new spark plugs will do it the world of good. Obviously as the hydraulic oils are hygroscopic it is well worth getting these changed. The engine oil will have oxidised to some extent and become acidic therefore start to corrode the bearings. The brakes are a bit iffy just now and the tickover has settled at 1400rpm twice when hot.

Im kind of toying with the idea of asking them to get the PPP fitted then do the service as this will bring up the miles nicely (about 900 round trip). Oh and they can fit my new boost gauge at the same time.

I would have joined the group buy if I had been home, but thats life!!

Thanks
Greg
Old 09 June 2001, 10:21 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Cool

Greg, I have a 97 (98 model) Turbo, when I bought in Dec2000 the car had just covered 30,000 miles but was 3yrs old, The dealer thought it was right to only do an interime 7,500 mile service, So 6 months later It went in for what i thought an oil and filter change instead the dealer picked up that the car had not had it's 3 year 45,000 mile service despite the car only having done 34,000 miles ,It should have been done when i bought the car because Subaru say 3 years or 45,000 miles In the end I had a massive agrument with the dealer where I bought it because I was fed up the car had not been serviced the way it should have done, In the end the dealer where i bought it had to pay for a 3 year 45,000 mile service despite the car only have done 34,000 miles, The dealer who did the work said you cannot over service a car so if I were you I would have the 30,000 mile service done despite the milage.
Cheers
Colin
Old 10 June 2001, 01:15 PM
Greg115
Scooby Regular

Smile

Cheers Lads
The full 24 month/30000 mile service will be done!!
Old 10 June 2001, 01:20 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

The 30,000 service is more expensive, mine cost £230 but I have heard of people paying much more. Get a price and ring round on this one.

Andy
Old 10 June 2001, 02:03 PM
Greg115
Scooby Regular

Red face

Oh
I was quoted 320 quid. I will phone around on Monday. Cheers.
Greg
Old 10 June 2001, 04:25 PM
SCOSaltire
Scooby Regular

greg

let me know how ur service goes...

ill be in a similar position in 3,500 miles time (3 months at current rate)

Old 10 June 2001, 09:49 PM
Rob D
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

My car's only done 14,500 miles coming up to the the 30,000 mile (24 month) service, so I phone up the dealer and book a service.
He told me to wait a couple of months till the mileage increases then he would do a 37,500 service first, then six months later go ahead with the 30,000, of course leaving a note in the service manual stating why this was done.
But the worrying fact is is was asking £450 for the 30,000 mile service, when it's looking like £300 is closer the mark, would that be about right??

Cheers,

Rob.
Old 17 June 2001, 03:01 PM
Greg115
Scooby Regular

Smile

I didnt manage to do any shopping around as I didnt get time. However I remember reading a post about this some time ago and the cheapest then was about 300 quid at AF Noble Subaru tel: 01968678002. I used Kenneth Melville Tel: 01821670242. He charged me 320 quid inc vat for the service/freeing up the brakes and diagnostic test and an extra 50 quid for fitting the STI boost gauge that I bought recently. As Cheam motors wanted 105 quid for fitting the boost gauge, and as KM gave my wife a courtesy car over Town and County in Perth who will give you a car provided you put it on your own insurance (cost about 60 quid) I think Kenneth Melville has been quite competitive.I have used him for the last three services now plus changing the clutch under warranty.

Greg
Old 17 June 2001, 04:08 PM
Hyperex
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

This is a surprise i haven't had for quite a while. Back in our side of the world in asia countries (like Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Thailand...etc.) We never have our engine oil change at such high k's as posted in this thread, we always change at 5,000km and for turbo cars like turbo impreza, better still, at 3,000km. For ppl living in the uk like yourselves which are so used to listen to such high mileage figues you may think i'm being rediculas. But as for me i think it is crazy for oil change at such high mileage. I strongly suggest to have more frequant oil and filter change at not over 5,000km or 3 months, in exchange for a reliable, much longer life engine. For turbo cars like the scooby, i strongly recommand Full Synthetic oil like 10w60, half synthetic or mineral is really a bad idea, just in case you're using one.
Good luck to you guys, hope you all don't end up with expensive bills on engine rebuilt..... please excuse me being so straight forward, my post are not ment to offend anybody in anyways.

[This message has been edited by Hyperex (edited 17 June 2001).]
Old 17 June 2001, 06:26 PM
Greg115
Scooby Regular

Smile

The point is Hyperex that these are the services that have to be carried out to maintain the three year warranty for the UK supplied cars. These are what Subaru schedule. If the engine blows up its under warranty and Subaru will need to fix it.

An oil change at 7500 miles on synthetic oil is quite normal nowadays. On non-turbocharged cars the oil change normally occurs about 10000 miles now. As you probably know, if you use full synthetic oil you can double your oil change against a mineral non-synthetic motor oil. Therefore I dont find this interval to be wholly unrealistic. If you are in Australia and driving across dusty arid roads I would be thinking about changing my oil more frequently. In Singapore, all the journeys are on pretty congested roads and the climate is pretty humid, again another reason for changing your oil more frequently. I, in fact, work for a company in Singapore.
Regards
Greg
Old 17 June 2001, 08:26 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

I agree with Greg about the oil not needing to be changed every 3000km in countries with cool climates and that Scooby Roo will have to repair under warranty.

I also agree with Hyperex and Greg that in countries with hot climates, oil should be changed regularly. In Greece servicing is every 12,000km but I change my oil with Castrol RS 10/60 every 4,000km on my own. In Aus servicing is the same however lots of Scooby owners change early too. I'm just extra cautious and have always changed my oil with short intervals in between with all my cars that I've owned.

Out of interest my 2nd car a Kia Shuma has 5,000km service schedules compulsory for warranty purposes here in Greece, but elsewhere it's every 10,000km

WREXY.
Old 18 June 2001, 09:32 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Ok - heres a question for anyone!

Ive done a mere 4300 miles in 6 months and Subaru have said i need to get the 7500 mile service done 'cause 6 months has passed. Worth it?

Jza
Old 18 June 2001, 10:02 AM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Jza,]

I've done 5500 miles in 10 months and haven't gone for the service, however have changed the oil and filter twice my self as I take precautions. I prefer doing the dealer service at the correct mileage and will go at 7500miles. I change the oil and coolant only because they have a use by date. I think that the other stuff that gets changed at services are wear and tear related and don't need changing before the miles are done. I don't like going for the early dealer service because it muddles me up. In the book they stamp 7500mile service done and you've 5000. In another 6months you do say 2000 more miles, you get the service done, book stamped 15000miles and you've done 7000miles. It's confusing to a buyer and also keeping track of what's been changed. You may go to another dealer at the 3rd service and although you've done 7500miles but have done the 22500mile service the dealer may not notice and do a 7500mile service. This has happened to me before with my other car. Gone to the dealer dropped off the car in a hurry without remembering to tell the dealer I've done this service. The incorrect service gets done, they realise at the end cause they've seen the book and then say, at your next service we will change this and that cause it wasn't done, as we didn't realise this service had been done, we saw the speedo and went off that. Most will dissagree with me but with my experience, the above is the way I do my services now.

WREXY.
Old 18 June 2001, 10:09 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Jza.
Get it done. Things may be different in Greece but unless you get the car serviced every 7,500 miles or six months (whichever is sooner) your warranty WILL become void.

Stef.
Old 18 June 2001, 10:22 AM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Smile

Cheers Stef,

Forgot to mention the warranty issue but have mentioned it on my first post of this topic above. In Greece they are more leanient but we only get 1 year warranty and that's just about expired.

WREXY.
Old 18 June 2001, 11:37 AM
Greg115
Scooby Regular

Cool

Jza
7500 mile service is basically an oil and filter change. Shouldnt cost you more than 90 quid and will retain your warranty. Speak to your dealer because some do an interim "Holding" service for low mileage cars, that retains your warranty but doesnt mess up your mileage services as detailed in your service book.
Greg