LOTUS EXIGE? COMMENTS PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2001, 08:26 PM
SUPERCAR-KILLER
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Hello all,
Havent been on for a while due to the sale of my scoob,but anyway ive had 2 yrs of scoobs now my last being a 300bhp STI version 5 type r sadly sold a month ago, due to being pissed off with vandals and insurance.
Im now driving a peugot 306 turbo deisel hdi, wow does it go for a deisel,but it wont last forever(probably about 6 months in my case).
Im working near a lotus garage at the moment, in rishton nr blackburn and theres a loveley couple of exiges in there, so ive decided thats my next car cos no kids! yet, and can anyone give me a run down on the insurance running costs drivability handling etc.
Cheers
SK
Old 13 June 2001, 09:06 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Jay - Good to see you back on the BBS

Dont leave it just cos you have no scoob - join my non-scoob-on-Scoobynet club

What happened to the STi? Did you PX it with no spoiler on? I saw an old Honda thingthe other day with an STi type spoiler on in Nelson??

DW
Old 13 June 2001, 10:21 PM
Michael Oliver
Scooby Newbie

Cool

Snip>Im working near a lotus garage at the moment, in rishton nr blackburn and theres a loveley couple of exiges in there, so ive decided thats my next car cos no kids! yet, and can anyone give me a run down on the insurance running costs drivability handling etc.
Can't comment about insurance/running costs but drivability/handling wise it is the business. I had the chance to borrow a car from the factory for a three car test I was doing for a paper and we took it to the Ring over Easter. It goes round the corners on rails - fast or slow - and has a lot of downforce, much more so than the standard Elise. Only thing is, this creates a lot of drag down the straights, so it is not exactly fast. The official top speed is 136mph but we struggled to get near 125/130mph on short stretches where our other car (BM 328i) easily did over 130. So it is probably a bit underpowered. The std engine is 177bhp but we actually had a 192bhp unit in our car!
Only problem we had was in the wet, when the back end stepped out unexpectedly and we had a long close view of the armco before it straightened up again! To give you an idea (if you know the Ring) we did an 8.52 bridge to gantry time, which was when the track was very cold and still damp on the first section. By comparison, we managed a 9.13 in the BM, so the Lotus was quite a bit faster. I don't doubt that if we had spent more time driving the car (and it wasn't someone else's to damage!) we'd have pushed it quite a bit harder through the corners as I don't think we got anywhere near the limit apart from out little incident in the wet...

There is a reasonable bbs called the Lotus Enthusiasts Bulletin Board with an Exige section which I reckon would help you find out more (www.exiges.com/ubb/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi). I seem to remember there is a bloke on there who is either supercharging his Exige or putting twin-turbos on it or something equally wacky so perhaps he'll be able to comment on the lack of power or otherwise...

HTH

Cheers

Mike Oliver
Old 14 June 2001, 08:11 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Rob Hesketh went from Impreza to Evo6 to Exige and everytime I have seen him since 'post-Exige' his grin as been bigger!!
Old 14 June 2001, 08:57 AM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

Mike, I'm the owner of the "reasonable" Exiges BBS, and I'm the guy getting the 260BHP Supercharger upgrade fitted. (Making 330BHP/Tonne )

Insurance isn't too bad, now the insurers finally know what the hell an Exige is Most fellow BBS guys pay around the £1K mark for theirs.

The guys on here will testify how the pre-upgraded Exige outpaced the Scoobies (inc 22Bs) the last time I was at Donington once I'd got my confidence up. Straight line speed is good, but it really wins with the immense speed it can carry through the corners.

It's a good car if you like attention, as I'm constantly approached at petrol pumps by the admiring public (regarding the car, not me !). So it's not a car I'd leave parked outside overnight.

It also sounds awesome, true F1 style howl from the supersports exhaust.

Superb kart like handling. If I recall correctly, it has 100Kg of rear downforce at 100mph, which is nice.

(Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing the Scoob, I've got one as a daily runaround)

As Mike says, toddle along to
Old 14 June 2001, 09:07 AM
harj
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Simply AWESOME Cars!!!!!!!!!!

I had the privelage of driving 2 and 1 was David Browns (Cheers Mate ) I have never driven anything that feels like a Road Going GO Kart! Power delivery is smooth and jaunting but the handling is in a totally different league.

I was close to purchasing one a few months back but my head told me not to at the time, I can tell you now that a 22B just managed to keep up with it around Donington and that was with David driving LOL

Harj....
Old 14 June 2001, 06:19 PM
IanF
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
When I sold my Evo VI to Ralliart they had one in the showroom.

Have to say it was a very nice car. Have also heard them on the road and they sound beautiful.

Go for It I say!

Regards
IanF
Old 14 June 2001, 07:39 PM
CRAFT
Scooby Regular

Talking

Jesus' jay you certainly go for the stand out cars and I thought you were the big kid at your house . Hope you get it, what colour by the way?
C
Old 14 June 2001, 07:47 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

This car is 2nd on my wish list to a (new) STi Wagon

Know nothing about it other than I want one!

Old 14 June 2001, 10:27 PM
SUPERCAR-KILLER
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks for the replies much appreciated,Craft it will be silver, if it arrives, ill have to badger the missus ha ha!
anyway off to cvheck out the exige web site,
See Ya soon
SK