Sponsored by:

Jag X-type

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2001, 09:54 AM
GEJL
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Did a quick search and couldn't see any other postings on this...

So, what do people think about the X-type?

I drove a 2.5 Sport on Monday, and it's a pretty good car (IMHO). Not as sharp as a Scoob and less grip, but handles tidily, nice steering, smooth to drive. Bit mushy on the brakes, though they do work! The 2.5 needs more power (has 196bhp), but maybe the 230bhp 3-litre would cover that.

And it looks good, especially in the de-chromed Sport set-up. I might be tempted when I get bored with the Scoob.

And don't forget, it's 4-wheel drive

(standing by in my Nomex for the "Mondeo in drag" comments...)
Old 13 June 2001, 11:08 AM
KF
Scooby Regular

I tried the 3L Sport (manual).

My impression (short test) was that it is a very nice car, though no where near as communicative as the Subaru.

It seems to have a bit of play in the suspension before it settles into a corner. No surprises lurk in the chassis, so even if you do overcook it, you aren't going to get bitten.

Good grunt (230ish bhp), but only as quick as the UK standard Scoob at illegal speeds. The S type that I drove subsequently has much more grunt - so it could be that the XType was still a little tight. Lots of flywheel effect though - made heel and toe a bit hit and miss...

Refined, much more comfy and discrete than an impreza (although the (fully) electrical seat seemed to submarine slightly on the brakes). Nice dash on the Sport, and a really nifty nav package.

In short. A few niggles aside (possibly due to the nature of the specific car and the fact that it was a preproduction example), if they make a supercharged version, it will be a serious contender for my next car. If I grow out of shorts and start wearing long trousers.

Caveat: I haven't driven any of the competition, and the only real point of reference I have is the MY00 Turbo.

The friend that went with me is a Jag man. He really likes it, although he didn't like the auto or the 2.5l. "Smooth" was a word he uses a lot about the 3l. And "nice".

KF.
Old 13 June 2001, 11:45 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
I had a Mondeo ST24 for a while. Titter ye not! Probably the 'best' all-round transport I've ever driven. But I always wondered what it would be like with 4WD and some serious poke.

Now the X-Type. Imagine: stick on a supercharger for 400bhp, properly plumbed in and fettled; fit stiffer, lowered suspension; massive stoppers. Someone will do it. Me if I could afford to.

Richard.
Old 13 June 2001, 03:12 PM
TimD
Scooby Regular

I have a 3L Sport on order. I will pass on some feedback - it should be here this month. Have already test driven one - slower and less agile than the scoob.

Might want to move to Non-Scooby Related though
Old 13 June 2001, 06:48 PM
evscooby
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

I drove last weekend a 2,5 Sport (MT) in Anthracite (almost black metallic) and also dark interior in the Netherlands. A very
tastefull combination!

Wenn you come out of a Scoob (my99) it's also a quite good steering car. Sharpness is not superb, but I wasn't disappointed. The V6 engine makes lots of revs to come on speed, but while the wind-/motor-exhaust- noises are so low, you don't reckognise that you are already do 110mph.

The brakes are as written by others not bad, not such a good pedal-feeling I think. But the real brake-working is good enough for the cars performance.

Well, I think it's realy a beauty of a car
and with a 'still not looking good' WRX its a very serious option for my next car!!

Erwin

Old 14 June 2001, 12:53 AM
CB
Scooby Regular

They will be on my car list when my Merc goes back. The only thing that puts me off is the ommisions against another Merc or BMW.

I'd be interested to know the exact cost dif.
Old 14 June 2001, 11:44 AM
Nick B
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I must admit I am a big fan of the styling, but after much waiting I went along last weekend to a Jag arrive and drive event. I went out in the 3l Sport (Manual Gearbox) and 3l SE (top of range) with automatic.

The handling on the sport was obviously softer than the Scoob, but I found it markedly softer than some of the oposition (BMW etc). Turn in was inprecise and led to understear with a tendancy to move to oversteer when lifting off the power. Feedback was however good so it made the car drivable. As for the standard suspension on the SE, there was far too much body roll and my passenger said he felt physically sick -almost like the old Ford Granada's for those who remember their reputation.

Power delivery was good, but I would agree with the previous comments on braking.

What really put me off about the car was the p**s poor build quality. The Sport had a loose passenger seat (rocked in its mountings), and the centre console in the SE was loose. Add to this the ommision of certain things we come to expect like a foot rest and the appearance was unimpressive.

During the test drives, the clutch on the Sport stuck causing various problems, and the automatic gearbox on the SE gave up the ghost and locked the car in a safety mode forcing me to cruise back at 30mph.

If this is the sales fleet designed to impress the potential buyer it doesn't bode well for the overall reliability of the car.

I will wait with interest to see the experiences of the owners of these cars. I think the equipment level is not reflected in the price. Lets see what they can do with the rumoured XR but for the time being I am not tempted away from the Scoob....