Sponsored by:

Review of 3 yrs of Scoob ownership

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2001, 09:47 PM
TimD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All

I have just parted with my Impreza that I have had for almost three years. I thought I’d write a quick review of what it cost, and other feelings.

Firstly, the cost.
Fuel over 43600 miles was 8371 litres means that I averaged 23.7 mpg. Total fuel cost was £6533.51. Best economy was 29.23mpg, worst was 18.83mpg.

Servicing costs (up to and including the 37500 service) were £566.96 on parts, and £604.07 on labour. Grand total £1171.03

I only replaced the tyres once, at 20000 miles (large proportion of motorway driving) and they cost £457.21.

Depreciation is a tricky one to consider. I had added A/C and Cruise Control to the car – and as we know you tend to recoup none of your investment in optional extras. So, base car depreciation cost me £8536, plus the one off expenses that I paid: £2141 for the A/C and Cruise, £399.99 for the alarm, and £361 for one of Mr Croney’s finest back-boxes.

So, this all added up to quite a startling £19599.74 – or 45p per mile, or £18.94 a day.

The Good bits:
1. Performance (of course): I moved to the Scoob from a CBR600 bike that I used to really miss when it went in for a service. The scoob definitely gave the same sort of buzz. I must also say that other owners have always been friendly etc.
2. Performance…
3. Performance…

The bad bits:
1. Rattles. OK, most of the time they don’t matter, but sometimes you want the car to be a little more refined, and when you are just playing follow my leader in traffic, you can’t excuse the rattles on the basis of better performance. Particularly when the plastic was cold the first mile along pockmarked roads from my house sometimes made me grimace.
2. Current reputation. Lets not kid ourselves, the scoob could be about to hit a bad time. Now that early WRXs can be picked up for six or seven grand, the cars are going to be in the grasp of another type of customer. Maybe I am an absolute snob, but in 1998 you could be pretty sure that any other Scooby driver was an enthusiast who was seriously putting their money where there mouth is. The occasional violent thefts also have to be borne in mind, though thankfully they are a rare occurance.

So…. What exactly is my point? Well, I am not sure. I don’t know why I track my running costs – but having done so, I might as well share them.

Without doubt I will remember owning the Scooby for a very long time. With the way that we are increasingly regulated and legislated against, future generations may not enjoy the fun of driving a performance icon…. I also kept the car for almost three years - I normally change far more frequently, so it must have been good.

Last point: If you are thinking about buying one, do it now!

Drive safely, but hell, drive fast and loud too!
Old 12 June 2001, 10:47 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Nice one tim, Interesting stuff.

What have you moved onto?

Mikey
Old 12 June 2001, 11:54 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Tim
I don't know what reactions you were looking for either.

Having also run a Scoob for three years, I haven't a clue how much it cost, major items like insurance & DEPRECIATION I remember.

Couldn't tell you mpg or fuel expenditure (SUL from day one). Get behind the wheel turn the key and grin thats the reason it's in the garage. We are talking value for money here, it's not a company car so why do I need the data, smiles per mile is the only criteria.

Rattles?? Still ran like new when we left it at the dealers & collected the replacement, perhaps I'm going deaf.

Although I have been fortunate enough to meet some nice people with similar interests. The reason I bought the car was simple, it impressed me, I don't care who else drives them or why.

If that mattered to me I'd have a BM or a Merc.

Old 13 June 2001, 02:01 AM
CLS
Scooby Regular

So far it's cost me a bloody fortune...but not as much as my last car which lost value in a spectacular way. Would I swop it...no chance. I did my sums and when the last Ford or Vauxhall, Nissan etc is worth bugger all even if mine isn't worth much more I know I'll have a car which makes me look forward to driving to work.