Sponsored by:

Top Gear Survey

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2002, 10:36 PM
AJC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Has anyone else received the Top Gear email inviting them to participate in this year's survey?
If you haven't then you can have a go at http://www.topgear.beeb.com/survey
It'll be interesting to see how the latest Impreza model fares, given Subaru's past history with the Top Gear/JD Power type surveys was so good until the last year or two.
How will you vote? I have a MY00 5 door and have been totally impressed by the reliability but totally unimpressed by refinement and servicing costs.
Old 13 July 2002, 11:04 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Since JD power altered the weightings of the survey so that running costs and economy had higher marks than performance or reliabilty the Impreza has done badly.

People who buy them, for the most part don't realise how much it actually costs to run one. They may be one of the performance car bargains of the last 10 years, but cheap to run they are not. Since Impreza's became REALLY popular(for it's type) then this effect has increased in frequency. Great car, costs £££ to run

The Spiralling costs of fuel and insurance has only compounded the problem and so I expect the JD Power results to show the same level as last time.

Also Subaru being the top dealer for 2 years running, and serving a previously enthusiast market led, in some parts to complacency and a 'well they can't buy the same sort of car for the money' attitude meant that Subaru slipped down the dealer ratings too. Add to this IM reluctance to be as flexible with imports, as say Mitsubishi then, again I expect Subaru to fair as well as they did last year.

I've never had an issue with IM or A subaru dealer that was'nt sorted out to my satisfaction and have never had anything but good service too. But then JD power is not focused on the entusisast more the average guy who bought a scoob for 22 grand and expected Nissan,Toyota running costs

Buy the car you want and can afford to run is my motto. All JD power et al does is help in that choice, it's not the be and end all.