Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P1 or STI 7 UK prodrive

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2002, 05:37 PM
Janner
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just been to look at an STI 7 and was impressed. Was intent on getting a P1 but now I dont know. £28000 can I get it cheaper and should I just stick to the P1?
Old 13 July 2002, 05:42 PM
Janner
Scooby Regular

Also what sort of finance deals can you expect?

Ta
Old 13 July 2002, 05:54 PM
Janner
Scooby Regular

Anyone.... please?
Old 13 July 2002, 05:58 PM
Jon743
Scooby Regular

Personally if it was me i would get the P1 as they look the nuts. But in the end it is all down to personal opinion.
Old 13 July 2002, 06:02 PM
Janner
Scooby Regular

So far in the past 3 months I have gone from wanting a UK Turbo, then looked at imports, Type R, STI V then back to the UK for a P1. I was sure I was going to get a P1 in the next month until today when I climbed into the STI UK Prodrive, a very nice car!!!!

Head the P1 tails the STI.
Old 13 July 2002, 06:13 PM
C
Scooby Regular

Evo 5/6

and save yourself loads of money
Old 13 July 2002, 06:23 PM
Janner
Scooby Regular

Smile

Already looked at Evo's but want a Subaru, is that wrong?

Trending Topics

Old 13 July 2002, 06:36 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

EVO wise - nope did the same thing IMHO it didnt sound right and wasnt keen on the looks of the E7. Also warned about second hand EVOs and the problems involved in finding the right one due to the number available.

You will probably get a better finance dealer on a new STI7 than a P1 as Subaru seem to have some greta offers finance wise but it depends if you are buyign off a UK dealer or importing. P1 will be reachign the end of its warranty and you wont be 100% of its history unless you knwo the person selling it personally. P1 is more likely to have been modified ie. big brakes,wheels,cosmetic stuff but I suppose pays ya money takes ya chance. Ultimately a P1 has more power and is lighter which means its quicker in a straight line (something a lot of people eps. STI7 owners cant seem to understand, "you canna change the laws of physics captain" ). The STI7 feels more solid but thats expected as it weighes more and has been strengthened. Drive them both and decide.

Old 13 July 2002, 07:02 PM
Janner
Scooby Regular

The dealer said he had a bloke come in and test drive the STI7 type UK who had a P1. After the test drive he said the STI was 10 times better than the P1....Hmmmmmm dodgy sales pitch?
Old 13 July 2002, 07:24 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

I'll go along with what Chrisp Said.

Try both and see what you prefer.
Low down a P1 would kill a UK Sti, once the STI is in the Banzai 4000+ range i'm not so sure.

BTW I have a UK Sti.
Old 13 July 2002, 07:47 PM
scoobyrob
Scooby Regular

P1 all the way!!! dat want i want next :-)
Old 13 July 2002, 07:48 PM
SCOOBERATORS
Scooby Regular

Just got to be a
Old 13 July 2002, 08:07 PM
C
Scooby Regular

I still say evo.....

Had a P1 before the evo, lets face it a lot of this sort of car is visual impact, realistically we don't need stupid spoilers/vents all over the show so there is a big element of 'look at me' in my car going on..

From that perspective the evo really kicks **** it looks so tough when one comes up behind you and just shouts move over, whereas the scooby would just look like any other turbo with a big wing...

Not being rude to 'new age' impreza's but I do NOT like the looks of them and tend to chuckle when I see one about how subaru must have made one of the biggest boo boo's ever in terms of styling. Yes they look better if you change lights etc but you shouldn't have to do that anyway..

Driving ability they are all about on a par I think - the sti 7 is softer than the P1 which is softer than the evo but they all achieve the same thing in the end.

By the way this was not meant to slate 'new age' scooby owners it's my personal opinion. If we didn't have opinions we would all drive vectras..
Old 13 July 2002, 08:16 PM
V5-APS
Scooby Regular

Why not consider the STi Type UK non-Prodrive....save a few bob and spend it on mods.

Old 13 July 2002, 08:55 PM
medders
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I was in a similar position to yours a while back, with choices of fugly (wrx only admittedly) evo6 or P1.
I bought a P1 because

WRX was gutless although built better compared to the other 2.
evo6 was quick but not a lot between it and the P1.
evo6 driving position felt awful I felt (too high)
fuel tank too small
servicing too often
insurance too expensive
evo has no tracker device as standard

Don't get me wrong I love evo 6's and I almost bought a Makinnen
but in the end it was going to cost too much (saw one today in cirencester and still love the look)
But then again I still love my P1.

I think the P1 is undoubtedly the best looking impreza and I wouldnt ever buy a wrx/sti coz i hate the look.

But saying all this my baby will be here in 3 weeks and I don't think sheel like it so I'm seriously thinking of selling for a sensible car!!!

cheers

medders
Old 13 July 2002, 09:05 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Has to be a close call. Get an STi (WRX) and spend the money saved on PPP (In due course.....yawn) which, I guess, will iron out the P1 advantage low down. IMHO P1 has the looks over both, but will (inevitably) be longer in the tooth, and needs the big brakes.

BUT

If Subaru facelift for MY2003, then STi (7/UK) could be looking at some nasty depreciation before too long

Phil

PS STi (WRX) is not as 'obvious' as STi (Prodrive) and therefore has an obvious security advantage (offset by less head-turning power)
Old 14 July 2002, 02:30 AM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

i own a p1 -cant fault it apart from the flakey paint,mine is a y reg bought ex demo so still has 2 years warranty left,they appear to be selling for £25,000 at moment
have a look on litchfield imports website they sell uk model for £23,500 !!!
martin
Old 14 July 2002, 09:37 AM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm was pondering the same question a while ago as I had a surprise bonus that needed a damn good spending.

Test drove a P1 (the car I prefered initially, looks wise) and was very impressed.
Test drove an STI UK Prodrive and was not particularly impressed (it's all relative of course!). Yes, the car is better specced and better put together but as a driver's car the P1 won it hands down. Each to their own I guess.

And what happened in the end? Wife took my bonus and put it towards a house....
Old 14 July 2002, 10:43 AM
Janner
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies and after a good nights sleep I still cant decide!!! Thanks for throwing other cars into the equation you gits

Still the P1 or the STI7 Prodrive. Going to Tileys in a cople of days to view both.
Old 14 July 2002, 11:38 AM
Janner
Scooby Regular

Dont suppose anyone knows of reviews/comparisons of both?
Old 14 July 2002, 01:14 PM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Last month's EVO review the STi Prodrive and also had a page about the P1.

I wanted to find a post I made about three weeks ago when I tried the Sti Prodrive at Tileys. Anyone know how I can find it when can't remember the thread title?

Anyway brief summary, and all IMHO, of course :
- I really wanted to like the STi..new model etc etc
- STI looks good, has rigid shell, good out-the-box brakes, too high off the ground, no go at low rpm, too many gears for the power profile, is very taut at low speeds, very wallowy at high speeds.
- P1 (I have one BTW) - looks good, not so rigid shell, rubbish out-the-box brakes (have AP 4 pots now), handles fantastic, rides very well condidering the handling. Push in the back at all speeds almost independent of what gear is selected

The STi desperately needs a PPP and lowering about 40mm - then it will approach the P1 - but is then likely to list price at over £30K.

I was happy to stay with the P1, and I get the impression that Steve at Tileys (without saying explicitly) agreed I had made the right decision - and he's always trying to sell!

Old 14 July 2002, 01:22 PM
C
Scooby Regular

I think EVO magazine did one a while ago with a load of scoobies & old shape ones - the P1 came out on top.

They also did an article last month - best drivers cars, there was a little bit in there about buying a used P1 as an alternative - again they said it was better than the current cars...

Think they also compared the P1 & Evo 6 at some stage but can't remember when...

Hope that helps...

Chris
Old 14 July 2002, 11:57 PM
daz b
Scooby Regular

The dealers will tell you the sti is better as there is more cash in it for them.