Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WORLD RECORD UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2001, 04:51 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
* To bring you up to speed if you don't know about the world record attemp..

We are attempting to set the Guinness World Distance Record for Driving Sideways. The idea is to drive on the concentric circles facility (like a huge wet roundabout) in a constant sideways four wheel drift / powerslide holding the car at a constant sidways attitude and not stopping or spinning for as far as possible.

-------------------------------------------

Just thought I'd give you an update as we're in the final stages now..

We had our final test today at MIRA in the MY01 WRX supplied by Listers.

The car was a lot more driveable on the constant circles than I expected but a little more challenging than the type r.

Unfortunately, initial predictions of 100miles are not going to be possible as a full tank of fuel is only going to last 50 miles, but that's still a bloody long way!!

The TOYO tyres (prepared and fitted by Tyres Northampton) worked REALLY well.. MUCH better than expected and were very consistent over the tests we did which is a big relief.

Listers are going to have a look at the diff oil tomorrow to see if it will be fine or if we need to take Quaife up on their offer of supplying a diff.

As far as I'm concerned, I have some concentration issues I need to address because it is incredibly challenging to maintain the level of concentration required for long periods of time. Not quite sure what the answer is, but I assume it's just going to be a case of having to!

Anyway, we're all very confident and encouraged by today's test..

big thanks to Ian Watkins for his technical assistance and advice, Rob from Tyres Northampton and Pete from Listers.

We're looking at attempting the record in about 3 - 4 weeks time so will be fleecing everyone for charity sponsorship soon, so get your wallets out!

All the best

Simon

[This message has been edited by Simon de Banke (edited 10 June 2001).]
Old 10 June 2001, 05:03 PM
andym172
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Good luck Simon!

I had no idea you were such a good driver, and was surprised when I read about your goings on in EVO magazine.

Andy.
Old 10 June 2001, 06:21 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Simon.

Muppet question

Is there any way of fitting another fuel tank to extend the range?
Old 10 June 2001, 09:34 PM
DIGGY
Scooby Regular

Smile

i think you need a link to the outside world via intercom or similar to keep the concentration up....that way we can keep you entertained( if spectators are allowed that is?

Mark

Old 10 June 2001, 09:37 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

SdB

To keep concentration up, leave your window down and we will throw you doughnuts (appropriate) every so often to keep you alert/energy up.....
Old 10 June 2001, 10:17 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Radio conversation today (testing stuff):

Me: "... OK, 2nd gear it is then, try and hold the revs. fairly constant though".

SDB "OK, I'll try"

.... Car continues around the circles for a while.....

SDB "How am I doing, I'm getting a bit bored out here ?"

Me "Er, you've done 4 laps and you have been running for just under 2 minutes"

SDB "Bugger !!! Is there a McDonald's Drive-Through at MIRA ?"

(OK I made that one up)

Other joke of the day if JF had been there was that the test would have been done on pace notes:

"Medium Left Long to Stop, Don't cut, Keep in, Caution: Water Splash"

Seriously though, although it looks fairly easy, keeping the car sideways for such a long way is going to be tough. One lapse of concentration and the car has snapped straight or spun out. 50 miles would be good, or however long the fuel tank lasts. 50 miles might not sound much, but that is London - Brighton kind of distances

Cheers

Ian
Old 10 June 2001, 11:36 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Wink

Sorry i didnt make it today chaps.

I'll be there for the real thing though.

Ive been working on the pace notes and have programmed them into my TSD rally software.

Hopefully its not too complicated an instruction for you Simon. LOL

Old 12 June 2001, 01:19 PM
mike_nunan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Mr. Sideways,

What a plan, that really will be a good one if you can pull it off! Best of luck, if anyone can do it, you can m8.

While you're there, maybe get Don to try for the world record for sideways driving without touching the steering wheel (throttle control only). He managed about 2/3rds of a lap in my car, on his first and only try, which impressed the hell out of me!

Take care,

-= mike =-
Old 12 June 2001, 02:02 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Question

Couple of silly[ish] questions.
When does sideways turn into a powerslide?
Why is the Listers car more demanding? is it because you cannot change the diff lock?
If you only expect 50miles what gear/speed will you have?

Best of luck.
Old 12 June 2001, 02:41 PM
John R
Scooby Regular

Brilliant Simon,

50 miles still seems amazing. Hope it all goes well.

There is still only one car which is categorically made for this type of thing though - the 200SX

John - The spirit of Bodie and Doyle lives on
Old 12 June 2001, 03:00 PM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

I still say you're mad, but if you insist on going sideways for 50 miles, then good luck.

If you change your mind about spicing it up a bit by eating a food recognised as a difficult "in car" food, you could really turn it into a spectator event.
Alternatively, a helpful spectator could set fire to the car while you go, that would almost certainly spice it up, though might negatively affect fuel consumption.

I look forward to seeing the results, go for it!!

Old 12 June 2001, 03:15 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

MIKE!!! Nice to hear from you mate

Thanks John

Bajie..
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR><B>When does sideways turn into a powerslide?
[/quote]

The two are kind of independant in that sideways is verbal representation of the car being "in slip" meaning it has a lateral speed as well as a longitudinal speed.. A powerslide is a technique for holding the car sideways.. In RWD this means spinning the rear wheels to reduce their lateral grip (by exeding the maximum longitudinal grip available) and then steering with the front wheels. In AWD it means spinning all four wheels and subtly balancing the steering and the thottle to both change the attitude of the car and definte the line of the curve you are taking whilst holding the car sideways.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR><B>
Why is the Listers car more demanding? is it because you cannot change the diff lock?[/quote]

The diff lock is one of the most important factors, but also the rear diff on a type r is allowed to fully lock under those conditions which greatly improves the driveability (again under those conditions), but makes it more aggressive and challenging under normal conditions.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR><B>
If you only expect 50miles what gear/speed will you have?
[/quote]

2nd gear 4K - 4.5K, fluctuating to 5K every now and then when necessary. The speed will change over the test from about 30MPH at the very start, about 35MPH after the releasing agent has gone from the tyres (not long under those conditions) and gradually coming down to about 32MPH as the tyres wear.

Thanks for all your support. It's a silly challenge in some ways (although we are hoping to raise a considerable amount of money for charity), but for me, it's a personal challenge and is something which will be incredibly difficult to achieve, and incredibly satisfying if we manage it.

The amount of support and commitment required and provided by everyone involved has far exeded the levels I expected.

It would certainly be MUCH easier to complete the task in a RWD car and would probably end up doing a much longer distance, but I also want to show what the scoob is capable of.

I was initially dissapointed with the 50 Mile ceiling, but have I'm cool about it now as it will still be incredibly difficult to beat.

Thanks again

Simon
Old 12 June 2001, 03:36 PM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

Good luck mate!

Do you know what charity you are going to donate the money to?

Mark
Old 12 June 2001, 04:06 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Smile

Simon...best of luck and all that M8

As discussed the other day, as we were unable to assist with the business side of things we are more than happy to stand by our pledge...let us know as soon as you can with regard to the charity...

All the best

Tom & all the team @ Schofields
Old 12 June 2001, 04:12 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Talking

Good luck Simon.....can we come and watch?

Sal
Old 12 June 2001, 06:34 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

What's the media interest like Simon?

Any chance of some telly coverage?

Good luck..

Rich
Old 12 June 2001, 06:42 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

At last, a motorsport activity unaffected by foot in mouth... sorry... foot and mouth.

BTW: is that 50 miles of wheelspin or 50 miles in terms of actual sideways motion? The latter being much more impressive, of course.

Good luck with the challenge.

Oh, and how about getting it classified to world record sideways in a 4wd car? That way the inevitable american record attempt won't be able to cheat using a rwd car... ?
Old 12 June 2001, 08:39 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Moray,

Yes it's the latter, i.e. 50 miles of sideways action because even I could do 50 miles just off the odometer by spinning the wheels

Cheers

Ian
Old 12 June 2001, 08:50 PM
igratton
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Nice one Simon...

50 miles is quite a long way....I think the guys round the concentrics need to be changing the scenery so you don't get bored...maybe make some cardboard cut-out trees/people/women/burger vans etc to keep you motivated....

John...

you are a complete nutter...where is the contingency in youru pace notes

Best of luck guys...

Aspian Software's wallet is open and ready to sponsor !!!!
Old 12 June 2001, 09:59 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Wink

contingency??

Only contingency i use is "dont crash!!!"

Mind you, when running Windows CeMeNT there is always a crash around the next corner, on the PC that is! to rsquire LOL