Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

importing from belgium - number. plate query

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2002, 03:45 PM
jfrf
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does anyoen know if it is ok to drive from dover without number plates for a new car
The dealer says that he has garage plates to cover the trip in belgium, but he will have to take them off at the belgium port
So what then?
Im just paranoid they will not let me on the ferry without any plates
Old 12 July 2002, 04:36 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Wink

AFAIR you're ok to drive from the port to home and no more without a plate (just so you can't go off on a world tour before you register it).

try the dvla website as it's on there about it somewhere but might take a bit of digging to find it

is it possible to use trade plates (assuming you know of a source)?

I know of somebody who had a gash set made up to take with them so that it looked normal in the UK but this is highly dodgy if caught and it was before all the present rule changes on where you are supposed to get plates I think

Apple

PS the other thing to bear in mind is that if you haven't got plates on it the scum might possible put 2+2 together and (apart from getting 3.4556 ) click that you maybe haven't got any security on it ;( - be careful.
Old 12 July 2002, 04:46 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

You could get yourself a personalized plate (from £250 from www.dvla-som.co.uk) and get the plates made up in advance.

I drove from Dover to home on the Dutch Z-plates.
Old 12 July 2002, 04:55 PM
jfrf
Scooby Regular

I done the dutch Z plates before o problem, but this is Belgium so I think its different
Old 12 July 2002, 05:12 PM
MRK
Scooby Regular

Question

I'm confused

When purchasing a new car abroad to import over here the car comes on 'Z' plates or import plates. You pay a small fee for insurance for the car on these plates through the dealer.

These plates allow you too travel all over Europe if you had too just as long as its on your way home. Once home thats where the confusion sets in, as you used to 'not' be allowed to move the car off your drive once there until registered, but I have since heard that you are allowed one months grace while the registration process goes through.

But for your dealer to say 'I'm taking the plates off, at the port'. That smells to me with just a wiff or dodgyness.

It is a new car, right?? Very strange

Good luck

M
Old 12 July 2002, 06:00 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

AFAIK it's not dodgy. You can't just destroy the plates as the dealer cannot just get another set made. Therefore he would have to trust you to post them to him. In the new car excitement you might 'forget'.

You are allowed to drive home without plates as long as you have your proof of purchase. Downside : you will probably get stopped if it's a long journey. Upside : What SPECS cameras?
Old 12 July 2002, 07:29 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Cool

I had to take my car to France and back to get it registered (it arrived via Southampton). For the import run, the importer put on what he called 'chasis plates'.

Basically, the number plate is just made up of the last 6 digits of your car's VIN plate. eg, the number plate could be '135790' (v. cool! ). Apparently the police are quite happy with this method, and I didn't get quiried at all going through the Tunnel (even with no GB sticker and no tax!!). I think you are only covered for your journey home.

Also, you will have to insure the car initially on just the chasis number, until you get a proper number plate.

Trending Topics

Old 12 July 2002, 09:44 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
have a look at this site (under transit plates)
lots of info on importing
www.truro.swinternet.co.uk

cheers alan
Old 12 July 2002, 11:09 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

IIRC the law says you are allowed to drive the car from the point of entry in the UK to the place where it will be kept via a suitable (i.e. fairly direct) route. If you are stopped, you will need to prove that you have just picked the vehicle up, and that you have insurance for driving it - get covered on the VIN number. I don't think if you decided to go e.g. from Dover to London via Glasgow that would count as reasonable

Once the car is at home, you can't use it until the tax disk comes through, which will tell you the registration number. You can then get the plates made, fit them and drive the car, although you probably won't get a V5 for a few weeks. There can also be a month's grace on paying the VAT bill, but there is no grace period on driving.

That's my understanding, and I did ask lots of people in the know as I bought a WRX from Holland recently.

Prepare for a frustrating week of looking at the car on the drive and not using it!