Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just been having a play with an E36 M3......

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2002, 10:43 PM
POC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

..... and he impressed me!

Lovley sunny evening, stressed out over various problems, I decided I would take the P1 for a drive.

So I headed out along a lovley long sweeping B road, nice smooth corners, long fast straights etc, road was dry, sun was out, the scoob sounded fantastic....

At the end of the road is a large roundabout that I usualy boot round and head back along the road. Just as I was coming up to the roundabout I saw a BMW M3 pull up and indicate the way I was heading, he pulled out and began to build speed....

Now, it is very unusual for me to take the bait and have a pop as I HATE it when people do it to me..... BUT...... I thought why not, so the speed increased, and increased.... we were sweeping through the bends, him getting a little twitchy on the brakes, me not even having to touch them to take the smoother corners. We got to a stage where I could have easily passed him round the bends, but I didnt want to endanger him or me.

I knew the road was about to open into a short (1/4ish mile) double lane stretch, so did he! We rounded the last bend and I saw the BM squat, toe to the floor, side by side at god knows what speed.......... the P1 pulled strongly, hitting the rev limiter in 4th I changed up and sailed past him (just as the road went back to single carriageway - phew).

We then came back to civilisation so we dropped to the speed limit and pottered through the town, exhaust popping and banging, big grin on both our faces (his girlfreind didnt look too happy though).

Now, what impressed me most is that this was an M3 EVO, 321bhp standard and amazing top end grunt, the P1 ate_it_alive I would have been able to pass this guy at any point, on any bend, even at the stupid speeds we were pulling

There you go, I know it was wrong, I know it was stupid, I know I could have killed myself etc...... but it was fun!!!!! These cars are made to be driven, so drive them!!

Paul

Old 10 July 2002, 10:52 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Wink

My sister wouldn't be impressed!
Old 10 July 2002, 10:54 PM
Moles Dad
Scooby Regular

Superb
Old 10 July 2002, 10:57 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Great fun Paul. Nothing wrong with this, provided it's done sensibly, maturely and responsibly!

I'm sure that most enthusiasts would recognise this sort of situation, and agree that we've got the right sort of car for this, so why not use it as intended.

Cheers, Harry.
Old 10 July 2002, 11:03 PM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

Angry

I think its disgisting that you have abused your right to a driving liscense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10 July 2002, 11:05 PM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

Wink

but thats cause i cant afford a P1 , top man Paul!!
must take me out for a spin in it, so i can compare it to the evo
Rob
Old 10 July 2002, 11:06 PM
Moles Dad
Scooby Regular

Oh dear!
Old 10 July 2002, 11:07 PM
Moles Dad
Scooby Regular

Phew!
Old 11 July 2002, 12:48 AM
g man
Scooby Regular

Smile

wow
Old 11 July 2002, 08:22 AM
R.B.5
Scooby Regular

Nice having a race with a worthy opponent now and again isnt it. I used to own an M3 evo on an R plate and they are very nice cars, but when it comes down to it the scooby wins everytime. Oh i forgot one thing "build quality" is the only thing imo that the M3 evo wins on. I cant wait till i spend some money on my scoobs engine, i too will then be racing "worthy" opponents.

Old 11 July 2002, 08:39 AM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

Wink

Laddies....relax.

Let's go through the numbers shall we?

P1 - 280 hp, 200-ish at the wheels, awd.
M3 - 321 hp, 250+ at the wheels, rwd.

The M3 has a lower cw rating (can't find the spec now, but I checked this earlier, when I had a bout with one ), and the weight difference is a mere ~100-ish kg's to the P1's advantage.

Are you starting to get the picture yet?

With a capable driver in the M3, there is NO way to keep up with one, even if twisties are involved in the equation.

THEY HANDLE REALLY WELL.

At my local track, I am 3-4 seconds off the pace of the big boys with their Bimmers (that's not saying much is it with me behind the wheel? ) - and I can't go much faster than I already am.

Well...got me some new r-compound tires, changed all bushes...and a bit of shiney tubing has found its way into the engine bay.

I'm on the said track on Saturday - let's see what can be done.

Over&Out

/J

Old 11 July 2002, 09:27 AM
Jon1T
Scooby Regular

Talking

what about torque - that's what will make the difference on the roads Paul is describing....not bhp.
Old 11 July 2002, 09:50 AM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

...problem is that my local track is a mix of both bends and straight bits, and not one Impreza has been close to the times the bimmer-boys are running.

However - as has been proven before - it takes a good driver in an rwd car to be faster than an average one in an Impreza.

/J
Old 11 July 2002, 10:25 AM
POC
Scooby Regular

SAM

It was just a bit of fun, not interested in figures and who is the better driver.....

Paul
Old 11 July 2002, 11:17 AM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

I know.

The thing is...most scoob drivers doesn't have too much respect for the M-cars, which are quite amazing machines actually.

I'd be lethal in one though, AWD has saved me so many times.

/J
Old 11 July 2002, 11:19 AM
POC
Scooby Regular

I know mate, I have loads of respect for them, I used to own an E36 M3, serious rapid cars....

If the speed had increased a little more I am sure he would have pulled past me.... the BM is more about top end grunt and the P1 more about the twisties etc...

P