Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scoobies vs Bikes...gentlemen start your engine!

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2001, 12:03 AM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A decent bike would just destroy a Scooby as long as the biker can actually ride the bike. It is just no contest really.
BTW no way I'd swap, my car though, would end up killing myself in minutes on a bike
Old 23 May 2001, 12:03 AM
camk
Scooby Regular

Wink

My wife drove my 94 Sti against me on my 99 Yamaha Fazer(600) in a straight line over 2 miles and I never had the revs on the bike above 9K(13.5K limit) as I was running it in and the bike absolutely romped it.
In a straight line there is no comparison. On roads or track the shape could make it more even as you can hold more corner speed in a car but can always accelerate faster out of a corner in a bike, really the bike is only held back in very twisty conditions or if its wet. In my book, the bike wins as it accelerates faster and ALWAYS feels faster and can overtake easier on country roads so A-B driving is faster as you'll usually encounter other slower traffic and size and acceleration of the bike makes passing cars a breeze. Plus you can get a fast bike for 6 grand, and thats a nice one.

Regards
Cammy
Old 23 May 2001, 12:11 AM
andrew6321
Scooby Regular

I own a MY98 5 door and a '98 Suzuki TL1000R. In the same way that there are good drivers and bad drivers, there are also good bikers and bad bikers, although I have to say that on balance, I think being a biker makes you a better driver and vice versa.

Riding ability is a much more useful tool than horsepower, and likely to keep you alive longer....

Andrew
Old 23 May 2001, 12:18 AM
manny
Scooby Regular

I've had recent sport with my mates R1, granted he totally destroyes me on straights, no contest at all, but when it comes to roundabouts, different story, he let me go first and the scoob kicked his ****, he tried being clever and doing me on the outside but couldn't make it, i admit i was going sideways on the limit but he even admitted defeat!!!
Still.....i would love a bike!
Old 23 May 2001, 12:23 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

a bike may be blindingly quick but you try cornering or braking as hard as a scoob in the wet..........

dave

Old 23 May 2001, 12:24 AM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

A friend of mine has a Fireblade - it takes all of his 16 stone to keep the front wheel down when pulling away fast. Ability is the thing with bikes - once at speed they leave any cars for dead, but from a standstill fast cars give average riders a run for their money.
Old 23 May 2001, 12:32 AM
ZAZ
Scooby Regular

Smile

There was an article in a magazine last year some time that did a test of a bike v scooby on a circuit which was designed to mimic everyday usage, i.e. junctions, windy roads, straights, etc.

From what I can remember they were very similar in their times.
Old 23 May 2001, 12:32 AM
scoobysnacks
Scooby Regular

As brought to our attention in a post by Mattski a day or two ago:

There is a turbine bike with the following stats:

Engine:
320 hp @ 52,000 rpm (286 hp @ rear wheel)
Torque: 425 ft lbs @ 2,000 rpm

Brakes:
Front: 320 mm floating system - 6 piston calipers (Ferodo)
Rear: 320 mm floating system - 6 piston calipers (Ferodo)

Performance:
Top Speed: 250 mph
1/4 Mile: 9.80 @ 160 mph
0-200 mph in 15.0 sec.

R1's, GSXR 1000's etc don't seem so quick anymore. It is a 'bit' pricey though at $150,000!
Old 23 May 2001, 12:34 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

I have both a Scooby and a CBR900R Fireblade and I can get anywhere quicker by bike than by car.
Even sticking to the speed limit as you can overtake the slow moving vehicles very easily on the bike.
This is over a reasonable journey..

If I were to race myself through a set of S-bends then it might be slightly quicker in the Scooby..
But from a stand still or on a straight bye bye Scooby... 0to60 is about half the time on the bike...

Get the right guy on a bike (I don't go very near the limits) and you won't see them on the bends either....

£ for £ the bike is quicker for your money too... looking at a 3rd of the price of a Scooby for a top notch bike.

I found with bikes I have had before that a mates Scooby is quicker in a stright line than a 400cc Sports bike (CBR400R, GSXR400R etc) but not quicker than a 600 (GSXR600R, CBR600R, R6 etc).
There was a similar thread just recently to this....

It is a lot less risky in the car.

On mistake on the bike and it is hello Hospital or worse... hence a lot of bikes for slow for the corners.
Old 23 May 2001, 12:42 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

having had both Scooby and bikes (UK MY98, ZX6r, YZF R1 and 2000 Blade) I think the question asking for an unrealistic comparison. On a hot dry one of the three bikes would win. R1 and Blade on M-Way's and big A- roads. ZX6r on twisty A's and B roads. The only time the car would have an advantage is when the road is so twisty you don't have time to judge vanishing points etc(you have the option to lock a wheel and not fall off). On the other hand, most would be equal on a cold dry day - most sports bikes use nearly slick tyres that show considerable improvement when hot. A slight shower of rain and the Scoob will win at anything with the mildest of bends. A heavy downpour and the biker will be too busy trying to see through his visor too be worried about how fast he is travelling. As they say - horses for courses. I would still be hard pushed to make a decision if I was told I could have one option only.
Old 23 May 2001, 12:51 AM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Wink

I have an Aprilia RSV-R Mille, and also a BMW 330D. I had a Blade at the same time as an STI5 Type R v-ltd, and have to say that although the car was ace, the bike was that much quicker and more involving that there is effectively no comparison!

Matt
Old 23 May 2001, 12:56 AM
kwack
Scooby Regular

Agree with Fastbloke (MY99, Fireblade 2000)

Straight line, A roads, bike wins no problem, twistiy B roads, bumpy ones, car would be closer. A bike is a lot harder to drive fast then a car as ultimately the bike is less forgiving.

Old 23 May 2001, 11:35 AM
Low Flyer Maverick
Scooby Newbie

Cool

Ok guys, we need all of you who have a bike, or who fought vs a bike to get out of he closet!

What are your feelings bout this oooooooold war?
Would you like to exchange toys with your ennemy? just for one day?
Old 23 May 2001, 11:43 AM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Cool

I would, however my father would kill me if i got a bike. He was bike crazy as a kid and recently had a play on an R1. Suffice to say that they have got a lot quicker these days....and thats my goose cooked. However, when I am a little older and more responsible I may buy one.

Ron
Old 23 May 2001, 11:54 AM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Cool

A Decent motorbike will slaughter a car in a straight line. The current bike to have, the Suzuki GSXR 1000 has the ability to accelerate from 0-100MPH in 5.8 Seconds. To put that in some sort of perspective that is faster than a McLaren F1.

The Suzuki GSXR 1000 will also do the standing quarter mile in 10.1 seconds. Here a GSXR1000 is compared to a harrier jump jet and a Ferrari 355.
Old 23 May 2001, 11:58 AM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

I would love a bike - but I have a feeling I would hurt myself so cant bring myself to do it. The wife is just a touch against it too. I'll stay in the car and enjoy the effort bikers have to go to, in order to beat me away from lights.
Old 23 May 2001, 01:12 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Cool

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by JoeyDeacon:
<B> The current bike to have, the Suzuki GSXR 1000 [/quote]

Joey - Try a ZX 12R. Approx 200 Kg and tested at 160 BHP at the back wheel. PTW ratio 800 BHP/tonne at the wheel. I think the GSXR 1000 was around 690.

p.s. If you get a kwak, go for a green one. Everyone knows green ones are faster
Old 23 May 2001, 01:16 PM
Low Flyer Maverick
Scooby Newbie

Cool

I agree with u all : dry weather means death for the scooby, wet means hospital for the biker trying to push it

But there is another parameter i think : well known road or "first time" road... Except for fantastic bikers, improvizing is much much harder on a bike... Just because you dont know the kind of surface you'll find in 300 meters...try to come "at the edge" on a small hole...and die

What do you think?
Old 23 May 2001, 01:26 PM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

Cool

Scooby STI for the winter......
Honda CRR 600 for summer......
Honda CRM 250 to distroy woodland....
Have the best of all worlds!
Andyp
Old 23 May 2001, 02:24 PM
Moz
Scooby Regular

camk,
If I was to race my wife to the end of the road and back, her in the wrx me on the R1, i`d have time to get there, get back and sit in the car with her before she dropped the clutch.
Old 23 May 2001, 02:30 PM
ork
Scooby Regular

Cool

I passed an R1 on my scooby last week. It had two brackets coming from each side of the back wheel with two small plastic wheels attatched.

Any ideas what they are?
Old 23 May 2001, 02:35 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Takes me 1hr 20 to commute in PTMW! & 1hr exactly on the GSXR.

65 miles each way & max speed 85 (where appropriate on M-way)

I'm an ex-courier too, so used to finding different/new roads & I would say that unless you were on wide sweeping a-type roads, the scoob would have the bike (b-roads & twisties) 'cos if nothing else, with un-even road surfaces, the biker gets shaken to bits

Old 23 May 2001, 02:43 PM
BillyW
Scooby Regular

Wink

agree with fastbloke.. (MY99 & TL1000R - just changed from GSXR750)
what size were the wheels, if they were small, paddock stand bobbins if big he's scared of corners....
Old 23 May 2001, 02:51 PM
Low Flyer Maverick
Scooby Newbie

Question

Passing a R1?
with a scoob?

3 possibilities only :

1.VERY BAD biker
2.Wet road
3.Very bad surface road

Coz even in twisty roads its very hard to pass a sport bike : coz

1. He was faster than u in the straight before the bend

2. He brakes much much harder than u

3. If we assume that u could came back to him within te bend, how r u going to pass him? He is on the only trajectory...

4. Even if u took the outside and managed to be as quick as him in the inside, he will eat you at the exit of the bend.

SO WHAT? How do you pass?
2 ways to pass:

a; at break time ; impossible on a bike
b; at exit of the bend ; again

Could u tell me the trick? Im quite curious
Old 23 May 2001, 02:58 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by fast bloke:
<B> Joey - Try a ZX 12R. Approx 200 Kg and tested at 160 BHP at the back wheel. PTW ratio 800 BHP/tonne at the wheel. I think the GSXR 1000 was around 690.

[/quote]

The ZX 12R weighs 210KG (which lets be honest is pretty lardy for a sports bike) and has 176 BHP (MCN Figures).

The Suzuki GSXR 1000 weighs 170KG and has 160BHP (again MCN figures)

I make the power to weight ratios :

ZX 12R = 838 BHP per Tonne
GSXR 1000 = 941 BHP per Tonne

Who wants a heavy old sports bike?

Old 23 May 2001, 03:00 PM
PeterJ
Scooby Regular

Not a biker myself, but would have thought it would be obvious that in most scenarios the Bike will win and win royally. However,is there anyone out there with a quick Westfield or something similar who would like to comment, surely this would be a fairer match.
Old 23 May 2001, 03:09 PM
Mad Max
Scooby Regular

Talking

I've had a scoob for a week, and never had a bike, therefore I can't really comment on wich will be faster, but the general feeling I get from what I've been reading is:

1) For both cathegories, you have certain conditions that improve performance over the other.

2) For both cathegories, we can find suicidal drivers/bikers.

3) On an ideal world, bikes should win

4) In the real world, it depends on the conditions:

Conditions required for a bike to get the edge: (We're talking average drivers, because we will never have Shumacker and or Vatanen, or whoever the best biker in the world is to drive in an average road for 60 miles to test this our... They do not fit in the suicidal cathegory, and are too aware of the differences between track and road safety conditions).

So, bike conditions (turning):

1.Smooth tarmak, with a lot of grip (Bike breaks later and acelerates earlier)
2. No rain or oil spills or unexpected holes.

With this furfilled, the bike will most likely win.

Car conditions (turning):

1. Damaged un-even surface. (Car comes in safer, and exits more stable for full throttle)
2. Wet or unpredictable grip conditions.

With this furfilled, the car will most likely win.

There are also some conditions againsts for both:

1. To be very quick in the real world in a bike, you take more risks with your life. Self preservation kicks in earlier, since you feel more protected in a car.
2. If there's traffic to overtake, the bike will always win (Don't forget we're talking a-b real world conditions, therefore traffic comes into account).

As maverick pointed out, knowing the road might be a + on the byker side, since that can allow them a little more risk... This is the only point I find arguable, because is the car driver knows the road, he is also willing to take more risks and predict where his car can come out of a turn...

Now, you all are going to start saying: but if there were less cars, if the weather is good, if the track is whatever... Ok, I think i summarized pretty much the possibilities...

Cheers

Max

P.S. I can't beleive you're having this discussion... With the weather you get in the UK, most of the time a Scooby will eat bikers for breakfast... It's always wet

P.S.2. Don't say Ideal real world ! That doesn't exist. IDeal world = Racetrack !!!

[This message has been edited by Mad Max (edited 23 May 2001).]
Old 23 May 2001, 03:16 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Low Flyer Maverick:
<B>I agree with u all : dry weather means death for the scooby, wet means hospital for the biker trying to push it

But there is another parameter i think : well known road or "first time" road... Except for fantastic bikers, improvizing is much much harder on a bike... Just because you dont know the kind of surface you'll find in 300 meters...try to come "at the edge" on a small hole...and die

What do you think?[/quote]

Did I mention that I wiped out all three bikes? Good way to define the handling limits very precisely. [FB lies in road thinking - mental note - watch out for small pebbles on the apex]

Old 23 May 2001, 03:36 PM
Low Flyer Maverick
Scooby Newbie

Self preservation instinct?

Interesting concept...where can I buy one?

Foolish Max gave a good summary of what I think; but few of you answered wouldnt you like to swap...just for a day, trying to survive on a supersport bike ...come on admit it... Myself i'd love to take an Imp on a rally...and I'll do this someday if i manage to find someone crazy enough to be my copilot...heck McRae found somebody, why not me?
Old 23 May 2001, 03:50 PM
Deputy Dog
Scooby Regular

Why get the best of both worlds.....a tiger Z100...two Kwacker 900cc engines bolted into a Tiger ( Lotus 7 rep) Chassis. Weighs about 650kg with 330 bhp and a 14-16K red line...all for about 16grand
mmmmh Nice
Paul M

Quick Reply: Scoobies vs Bikes...gentlemen start your engine!