Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

flat battery, doh!

Search this Thread

Old 06 June 2001, 08:40 AM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I must be a muppet because I left my Discman charging from the cigar lighter o v e r n i g h t and guess what???, the car's battery was flatter than flat thing which had just been flattened by F2J.

I left the ignition on 'accessories' [as the cigar lighter is not live unless you do].

Where did all the power drain to? Surely not into the two AA batteries in the discman!

Last night I attempted to use one of those cigar lighter to cigar lighter 'easyStart' systems without success. I got it to turn over a few times but after leaving this device plugged in for over 15mins, it wasn't getting any better and the unit began to run a little 'hot'.

Anyone had any luck with these?

Should I try a proper battery recharger or even jump leads? Or, am I looking at a new battery?

Any help much appreciated.

Old 06 June 2001, 09:11 AM
NeilS
Scooby Regular

If the battery is fairly new I suggest charging it for a few hours. My last battery on a previous car was 6 years old before it wouldn't hold any charge and I had to replace it.

I have also used jump leads a number of times in the past which are fine as long as you go for a decent run afterwards.

I have the same problem every time I take the motorbike out of the garage at the end of the Winter, after a few hours charge its fine.

Neil.
Old 06 June 2001, 10:39 AM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

Thanks Neil, I'll try and get hold of a charger.

PS. Are you supposed to disconnect one of the battery leads when you are charging a battery in-situ? PS2. I have a meta immobilser fitted. Will it go beserk!
Old 06 June 2001, 11:08 AM
NeilS
Scooby Regular

You're supposed to disconnect both leads when charging, what effect this has on the alarm/immobilisor I am not sure.

I have left the leads connected in the past and have had no problems.