Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Stolen Car Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2002, 10:59 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have a definitive legal answer? My drive has a slight slope, so its staying where it is tonight although the drivers door is wide open so maybe it will go all by its self.

[Edited by C h a z - 7/3/2002 11:01:01 PM]
Old 07 April 2002, 01:12 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Maybe your girlfriend bought you a surprise birthday present and is too embarrassed to confess

Did you recognise the handwriting on the note?

[Edited by speedking - 7/4/2002 1:13:20 PM]
Old 03 July 2002, 10:20 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

Angry

3 weeks ago somebody abandoned a car in my drive, with a "sorry broken down" note in the window. I thoughht nothing of it but when no one had returned after three days I rang the police. They said that they would contact the owner etc to get them to move it.
However to do this thay ring the DVLA who then write a letter to the owner to inform him that the car will be towed if it is not moved. Only if this is to happen, the DVLA must then contact the council who will give them another 3 weeks to shift the f*ckin thing. Scince I rang the police I have noticed that there is an imobiliser hanging by its wires in the footwell and that the tax ran out in 2000. Me thinks the car is nicked! It has been three weeks now and this Astra SRi rust heap is begining to f*ck me off.
If you have read my other thread you will know that scince the arrival of this heap my girlfriends car has been broken into outside the house! Hmmm strange that.
So my question is am I allowed to move the car myself. i.e. push it out onto the pavement outside my house, so that it just gets in the way on the road? How quickly do you think it will get shifted then!
(rant mode off)
Old 03 July 2002, 10:22 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

if its old I'm sure the handbrake could fail
Old 03 July 2002, 10:23 PM
RaZe-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

go do it now

I would have it done it straight away, no questions asked. Surely you have a "right of access" to your own drive, especially if its within your boundary, in which case its on private property - so GET IT OFF!!

Need a hand pushing it?
Old 03 July 2002, 10:29 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

Funny, the drivers door just fell open
Old 03 July 2002, 10:31 PM
RaZe-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

oh dear..

*999...hello? police? Yes...theres someone stealing my beloved Astara SRi..yes..right now....hes pushing it out of my drive as we speak..*

About time. Dont run over your foot. And push it up the road so you dont have to look at it either
Old 03 July 2002, 10:37 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

If I move it do you think that I should inform the police that it has moved. I mean, they're only gonna ask me if I saw anybody move it.
Old 03 July 2002, 10:38 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Accidently sever the fuel pipe, then phone the fire brigade to say you can smell petrol and you think its a fire risk. Car will be shifted within the hour, believe me, its happened to a friend of mine .......Blutes
Old 03 July 2002, 10:39 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

It's on your property? Therefore you can push it onto the road(preferably all the way across so it blocks it)

Then the police will have to come and clear away the obstruction
Old 03 July 2002, 10:49 PM
ktm1974
Scooby Regular

burn it it's a astra
Old 03 July 2002, 11:04 PM
cement man
Scooby Regular

Someone left a mini in our drive about midnight one night,went out and had a look coudn't see no one about so tried the door it was unlocked so we pushed it out trouble was the steering lock came on so it went in the hedge the other side of the road and thier it stayed half in the hedge half in the road but it had gone next morning never heard anything about that.I would'nt have a strange car in my drive three min,s let alone three weeks, push it out,****ing cheek.
Old 03 July 2002, 11:05 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

Steering lock is busted anyhoo.
Old 03 July 2002, 11:07 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Council. If it was Leeds, then there'd be a 7 day notice put on it, and the onus is on the council to shift it. They usually do, otherwise it would normally go up in flames.
Old 03 July 2002, 11:17 PM
cement man
Scooby Regular

Angry

The council ain't going to put a destruction order on it in your drive it's private land,just go out their and push it out and park it in the road,who's going to know you put it their,****ing cheek.
Old 03 July 2002, 11:19 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

sorry - didn't read the thread properly. I'd personally wait until dark, then shove it out onto the roadside.
Old 03 July 2002, 11:20 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

Won't the police think that its odd that I've been complaining about it and then it suddenly appears on the side of the road?
Old 03 July 2002, 11:40 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

chaz - yhm
Old 03 July 2002, 11:54 PM
Dirty Wrong'un
Scooby Regular

Innocent until proven without a shaddow of a doubt. They can think what they like!! At least the heap will be gone.

Gus
Old 03 July 2002, 11:56 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

True
Old 04 July 2002, 12:03 AM
cement man
Scooby Regular

Angry

Someone left it in your drive thats odd! all of a sudden its parked in the road thats odd!how did it get their?i don't know!enough said,go and push it out NOW,bloody cheek.
Old 04 July 2002, 12:06 AM
cement man
Scooby Regular

Talking

If anyone ask's tell em I pushed it out their.bloody sauce.
Old 04 July 2002, 12:24 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Red face

some people have way too much patience for their own good!

I am amazed you didnt move it the moment it arived!
Old 04 July 2002, 12:31 AM
Wanna'B'
Scooby Newbie

Its pretty difficult to give a sure fire answer to this problem, I would suggest the smell of petrol to, not only the fire brigade but to the police and even the council if its half on the road. Dont bother with the sabotage just alert them to a 'smell' of petrol and your discomfort with this safety issue outside your house.
If your gonna move it, have a wee think about where its gonna go. If its gonna roll onto someone elses property they might then tell that it was you, where I live if you touch those kinda cars and the cops know/find out then they will pinch you. As far as they are concerned they enforce the law not make it.

As for car thieves, whether its a 10 year old Astra or not these little pukes need a good ol mob kicking .
Old 04 July 2002, 01:28 AM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

Oh yas, now you're talking
Old 04 July 2002, 01:56 AM
dazzaTypeR
Scooby Regular

I'd simply push it down the road a bit and leave it there. If police ask simply say that it was a hazard to you /your wife/your children. They can hardly nick you for moving something that you have informed them of at an earlier date. Push it in a ditch or just aside the road I'm sure soomebody will demolish or set fire to it. As for the firebrigade beware that you may well recieve a bill if they come out and sort the vehicle. I'd ring a local srap dealer and tell him to come pick it up.
Old 04 July 2002, 02:22 AM
Luke
BANNED

Wink

You could always drive it to a road in Lodon near me and dump it...Every other scum does!!!! And the council let them sit there for weeks ... 2-3 get fired at the weekend and most builders dump their rubish in them...

Have you thought about calling a traffic warden in to get it clamped and towed etc .You say the Tax has run out... Jesus that is a major offence that deserves the full attention of the entire Police Force......

Old 04 July 2002, 10:24 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

A D-reg astra exploded outside my house a couple of months ago... nice area too!
Old 04 July 2002, 10:39 AM
Cheeky Jim
Scooby Regular

Push it onto the main road, park it up if possible on the side, and then leave it. As it has no tax, it is illegal for it to be on a public highway and the council/police in theory have a duty to track down the owners etc...

Jim
Old 04 July 2002, 10:42 AM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

My Dad lives down a 1/2 a miles farm track, one morning he left for work and got half way up said track to find a fiesta with the lights on full and sitting in the middle of the track... exhaust laying behind it.., This is a serious track and you have to go slowly else the car touches.. He rang the Police and as it was blocking him in they removed it within an hour. Had been nicked and the joy rider was trying to find somewhere to dump it.. we guess, exhaust came off and it stopped becoming a quiet dump of a car..

In your situation I would have moved it on day one I have to say.

Didn't you need access to the drive for that Sofa delivery... and then the sofa company messed up the order and didn't arrive so you got annoyed with the sofa company and cancelled the order.

JGM

Quick Reply: Stolen Car Problem