Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water marks..............

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2001, 05:55 PM
PeteC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The car was pretty filthy yesterday, what with dust, squashed bugs, etc, so I decided to do the necessary and give it a wash - and I wish I hadn't bothered!

I live in a hard-water area, and by the time I'd finished washing it, the car was covered in water stains, and looking a hell of a lot worse than before I'd started. Wetting the surface again, and going over with a chamois leather removed the worst of the marks - at the expense of a new set of "spider's web" swirls all over!

Is there anything you can add to the water to get round this, or is it a case of doing a small bit at a time and leathering it off before the water has a chance to dry? Not that I use them, but if you got this effect everytime you went to a car wash, they'd soon be out of business!

Pete
Old 04 June 2001, 06:00 PM
ZAZ
Scooby Regular

I usually work my way round washing and rinsing each panel at a time but keep the entire car damp by spraying it after I rinse each section until I've finished every panel.

Once it is clean I leather off all the water and it's ready for a polish.

It also helps if you wash it when it isn't too sunny or if you can do it in the shade so that the water doesn't dry off too quickly.
Old 04 June 2001, 06:02 PM
Jake
Scooby Regular

I dont even bother cleaning my car if the suns out.
Old 04 June 2001, 08:31 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pete
Get your car Wax-Wizard'd, that help a lot, I still have to chamois it off, but it looks wicked when it's dry.
Ron
Old 04 June 2001, 09:03 PM
PSI3
Scooby Regular

Talking

Mark - "The Wax Wizard", now sells somehing called a Water Blade, which removes the standing water very quickly, then just finish off with a chamois, very good piece of kit!

simon.
Old 04 June 2001, 09:44 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

yep, a water blade is the thing to get- i wax mine every 4 weeeks and in between just wash it in the evening when the suns down a bit, i do a panel then rinse keeping the whole thing wet. when all the panels are done i water blade it. dont even bother to leather it- looks like new after 20 mins!.

tiggs
Old 05 June 2001, 08:42 AM
PeteC
Scooby Regular

I've got a number of the Wax Wizard products, including a water blade, although it's some while since I last gave the car a waxing. I'll give that Quick Finish a try though as it sounds pretty easy to use.

My mistake, I think, was in letting the water dry off. Once that had happened, no amount of rewetting made any difference. Perhaps if I have to clean it in the sun again, I'll use a sponge and a bucket, rather than the hose, and just do one panel at a time.
Old 05 June 2001, 08:45 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

The water blade is brilliant. I had to use a chamois on Sunday as I couldn't find the blade. Far too much work...

Found the blade and ended up re-hosing the car down.

Results are brilliant.
Old 05 June 2001, 09:35 AM
BT52b
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Boost II:
<B>Two solutions-

Keep all the panels sprayed wet until you are ready to dry. Chamois each panel and then finish with a towel before moving to the next pannel. Don't take the car for a drive to dry it!

Also, get a Wax Wizard product called Quick Finish. Its a light liquid based wax you can spray on to a pannel at a time and just wipe off to do the whole car in 10 mins. It removes any marks left from washing or dirt after a drive. It restores that just waxed look until the next time you can be bothered to do a proper wax. I bought a 500 ml bottle for a reasonable price and it shows all the signs of lasting for ages.

I seem to have the hardest water in the world so I know what you mean!

[This message has been edited by Boost II (edited 05 June 2001).][/quote]

Our water isn't that bad, you want to try Royston. Showers clog up after 2 days! So much chalk you can't even see through a glass of water.

(Is it my imagination, or has someone swappeed a Honda NSX for a Honda Legend and a Citroen Picasso?)

Old 05 June 2001, 10:38 AM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

BT52

Mr NSX is having problems - off the road for a while after the accident, now someone has knackered all his wheels whilst changing tyres so he's had a lot of courtesy cars. The second one is a works pool car. My first thought was he must be planning for kids!

All I can say for the water is tea never tasted so bad.
Old 05 June 2001, 11:00 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

That wouldn't be Royston Vasey would it?
Old 05 June 2001, 11:11 AM
BT52b
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Boost II:
<B>BT52

My first thought was he must be planning for kids!

[/quote]

We thought they were expecting at least quads. That's a hell of a courtesy car, I just got a Clio when I rearranged the shape of my 306 around a deer.

Have noticed in the last few weeks that glasses come out of the dishwasher looking very cloudy.

Do Wax-Wizard do dishwasher tablets as well?
Old 05 June 2001, 12:10 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Talking

Two solutions-

Keep all the panels sprayed wet until you are ready to dry. Chamois each panel and then finish with a towel before moving to the next pannel. Don't take the car for a drive to dry it!

Also, get a Wax Wizard product called Quick Finish. Its a light liquid based wax you can spray on to a pannel at a time and just wipe off to do the whole car in 10 mins. It removes any marks left from washing or dirt after a drive. It restores that just waxed look until the next time you can be bothered to do a proper wax. I bought a 500 ml bottle for a reasonable price and it shows all the signs of lasting for ages.

I seem to have the hardest water in the world so I know what you mean!

[This message has been edited by Boost II (edited 05 June 2001).]