Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just a bit of advice

Search this Thread

Old 02 June 2001, 10:30 PM
sulli
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello all - 1st post, regular on MIG, but after driving a P1 today i'm considering a scooby.
Can't afford a P1, but would like an older Sti - or whatever else comes with the same engine to P1 - 280bhp I think.
Any thoughts on what year/model I should look at - on a budget, but can stretch it - deffo less than £8k though.
What about grey imports? Bit new to that, so any advice appreciated.
And what sort of insurance you lot paying, and what group are they - 20??
Thanks for any advice.
Old 02 June 2001, 11:16 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi and welcome Sulli

Good site for info is
Old 02 June 2001, 11:17 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi Sulli,

Since i think i'm the only other one on here at this time on a saturday evening, i'll kick this off.
Firstly, be very careful of any 280 bhp Scoob you can buy for under 8k. Yes, they do exist, but even though prices are falling, examples that cheap are cheap for a reason.

Yes, i think all turbo Scoobs are group 20. I reckon the average insurance is about 1,200.

Mine's a grey import, and yes i was very unsure too. But the guy i bought from had absolutely every last document, which put my mind at rest. Some people say the greys are harder to sell, but if you want a more powerful engine, climate control and generally better spec, they make a lot of sense.
Personally i've had absolutely no problems, much like most of the people on this board.

Difficlut to advise given an 8k budget. You might find an early STi which has never seen a track and been looked after, but it might take a long time to find. Maybe try a WRX - most of the power of an STi, but 2-3k less...

Terry
Old 03 June 2001, 09:21 AM
sulli
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for that.
What's the difference between the WRX and Sti - I take it the wrx doesn't have the sti engine - so what sort of power do they have.
I know if I got anything much less powerful, i'd just be yearning for that extra power - which I think from my little test drive is very addictive - but also a little risky from the way I witnessed the salesman driving it first - hit a kerb trying to take a line into a roundabout at 80mph - luckily the car forgave him.
So which are the models with 280bhp, and what are the lower powered ones and how powerful?
Thanks again - all help appreciated.
Old 03 June 2001, 09:33 AM
JohnS

Have a look at
Old 04 June 2001, 08:27 AM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

Roghly speaking, late WRX's have 280 bhp, early ones started with 220 ish and the STi's around the 280 bhp mark from the begining.

If you want a 250-280 bhp engine, your only choice is import, as UK cars only came with 208/215 bhp.

For the sort of money your looking at I don't really think the UK vs Import arguement applies as much as for later cars, as you will not have a warrenty from Subaru UK anyway. Japanese car will come standard with Climate control, better seats, better interior, more power, and electriacally folding wing mirrors (oooo luxury)