Sponsored by:

PPP against STi

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2001, 04:49 PM
tarquin trousers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

maybe a silly question......I spend most of my time driving my car rather than looking under the bonnet.....so forgive me!!

Is the full PPP kit just for use on standard turbo's??

I've got an sti 4 with SS exhaust...surely no match for it??

just read TONYBURNS 'I have foundeth the lord and he showeth me the Scoob' topic ...I too get that joy when I tap the peddle and watch my girlfriends head rock back into the headrest!!

....does the PPP just elavate the turbo to the dizzy heights of the STi??
Old 31 May 2001, 04:57 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

Depends on the car, model year and version. In real life driving a PPP'd car will be a close match for an STI up until 6,000 revs. Then the STI's higher reving engine gives it the edge.

So in short, yes if you are driving on the public highway and no if you are racing or on the track.
Old 31 May 2001, 05:38 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Like Neil says, on the road it will be close but ive got an MY00 and i dont suffer the sort of lag the larger turbo'd sti's and wrx's do, the power is smoother and ive yet to try it on a bit of twisty road with the PPP fitted but you may get a shock one day from a PPP'd car, it has improved it greatly in the mid range!!!!

Tony
Old 31 May 2001, 07:00 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

I used to have a PPPed 98MY which was bloody fast.I now have a STi4 which is definateley faster especially as mentioned at the higher revsThe significantly greater torque of a well sorted Sti also improves everyday driving. As mine is a TypeR the shorter gearing also helps.I think that with a Link/Motech and full catless exhaust a UK car would be as good if not better than a standard Sti.Just my opinion.
Old 31 May 2001, 08:01 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Hi Mr Trousers. Check out the dyno pages (top right of screen).

Despite all the variables of rolling road power ratings, there's enough data on there to show that:

1) A UK99/00 car with PPP is substantially more powerful (up to 20%) than an STi5 to 4,000 and the STi only pulls away from 5,000.

2) But the PPP car dies soon after 6,000 and 250-ish bhp whereas the STi5 has still got another 1,000 rpm to go and another 30 bhp on top.

3) The P1 splits the two at low revs - it's got more poke than the STi but not quite as much as the PPP car. But the P1 can also scream every bit as loud as the STi at over 7,000.

Prodrive know a bit about making a quick Impreza.

Richard.
Old 31 May 2001, 08:26 PM
tarquin trousers
Scooby Regular

ummmm....food for thought!! I don't do any track days so I rarely find an opportunity to get the car up into the high revs...so the idea of pulling away at the high end is a little bit redundant!

I am, however, of the opinion that the engine block or at least the head/pistons are made of sterner stuff so......erm.....nerrrrrr that aside i'm feeling even more content now, given your kind responses, at having an import that is marginally quicker and costs me the earth to insure!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 31 May 2001, 11:03 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do the STI4/5 share the same stock engine as a MY99/00. Do STI then mod the engine, exhaust, etc. to get the extra performance?

Stefan
Old 01 June 2001, 12:19 AM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

Having had a couple of Uk cars (incl one with ppp) and now having a Sti ver 4 (RA), it seems you can happily make a Uk car almost as fast as the Sti. The big difference is that the Sti is like that as standard - it just feels in a slightly different class to the Uk car, even with the PPP. The differences are not huge and as Tony says, the Uk cars are fantastic. But driven back to back it is definitely noticable.
Old 01 June 2001, 12:29 AM
tarquin trousers
Scooby Regular

thanks Tony....I had my reservations about buying the car. I saw a dealership with a stack of imports on the forecourt...skylines, a 22B being worked on in the garage and even a few AC Cobra's!! I was sold on the spot. They gave me a one year warranty which I never had to use....probably a good thing as I drove past 6 months later to see a very barren forecourt and even the odd bit of tumbleweed!!

touch wood..I haven't had any problems....just the usual running costs and a replacement petrol cap....a slight moment of random behaviour on my behalf after I left the original on the rear wing.....but lets not talk about that!!
Old 01 June 2001, 09:25 AM
tarquin trousers
Scooby Regular

Question

doesn't the sti4 have a bigger turbo (vf24) ??? I do know its engine block is a nice shade of red and it has forged pistons!

all I need to know is when I boot the car....anything I have placed in an open compartment leaps out at me
Old 01 June 2001, 11:26 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tarquin,
The STI engine is THE best engine you can get for the impreza (thus the 2.2 22B's STI engine before anyone asks ) its got a Closed deck block which makes it stronger than the normal engine and as you say it has forged pistons rather than our "cheaper" but still not bad ones
I would want an STI (but cant afford one of the 3 that Prodrive had up for sale, STI-6's with full uk warranty) but i wanted the protection of a full dealer network, something i wouldnt have got with a jap import (even though mine is a euro import )
But i love the car because its a storming little bugger that goes quickly and grips greatly

Tony
Old 02 June 2001, 01:18 AM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Having got an sti5 and come across one with a PPP on a V plate I can confirm that there is nothing in it

However once modded the UKppp car is no match for the sti5 - which is important as you dont see many standard sti's around!

I also thought that the p1 was a tad less powerful than the sti - I would have thought that the ignition was retarded to avoid det and inevtiable warranty problems from using RON 95?

Anyway at least none can keep up with me, but then it is'nt a fair match

Old 02 June 2001, 01:58 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Tony.
I don't think all STi's actually have closed deck blocks as standard. In fact, I think only the STi III did.
Could be wrong though.
Besides, on a track the driver plays a far more significant role than the engine.

Stef (Happy PPP Owner! )
Old 02 June 2001, 05:37 PM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Cool

Agree with Stef.

An STi V is faster on track than a PPP car (eh Stef?)
Old 02 June 2001, 09:04 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Wink

Tarquin,
I trust your happy with the exhaust?

I had a word with my pal about the modified Cosworth RS500 story I told you about, because it did sound a bit far fetched even as I was telling you.

Anyway he clarified that the car was doing 80mph in 5th gear in the dry, and lit the back tyres up on its way VERY quickly to 120mph, not as I told you accelerating from 120mph.

But it still frightened the life out of him, and this by the way was at Burtonwood Aerodrome, not the Queens highway, many years ago.

The owner also told him it would continue accelerating at a similar rate to way past 160mph!!!

Makes our cars seem tame.

Cheers MTR