Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FAO: West Yorkshire Scooby owners

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2002, 05:59 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
np...... as I'm labelled as a tw@t by a minority of members of this board, I'm pleased that others appreciate my input.

[Edited by BuRR - 7/1/2002 6:02:07 PM]
Old 07 January 2002, 06:01 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

Thanks for the sobering info Burr.

Do you know if the siting of these safety cameras take into account the volume of traffic when looking at the number of casualties per year.

The reason why I ask is the method Northants police use does not. So therefore the M1 has 4 deaths per year but ten times the amount of traffic as another road with 3 deaths per year. Obviously the latter is the more dangerous as it's proportionally more dangerous by a factor of around 10. But because the latter's death rate is below the red route threshold it does'nt get a camera but the M1 does..

Just curious to see if the same methodology is being used nationwide.

[Edited by Neil Smalley - 7/1/2002 6:02:15 PM]
Old 07 January 2002, 06:09 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

Cheers for the info Burr. Could you send a mail to my profile address please

It'd be useful to get a consistant view of the policies and practises of all hypothication scheme forces.

I like most people are concerned that these schemes are used properly and so actually save lives, and to me a watertight and consistant method of red route identification is a key factor in achieving these goals.

So will you be testing out your new purchase on the camera vans?

[Edited by Neil Smalley - 7/1/2002 6:10:50 PM]
Old 01 July 2002, 04:55 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Bookmark and watch this space.
Old 01 July 2002, 04:56 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

I believe the site's not operational yet, but will be soon, and will outline the locations of West Yorkshire's Road Safety initiative "days out".
Old 01 July 2002, 05:04 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Thanks again BuRR from all us Yorkies.....
Old 01 July 2002, 05:05 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Good man
Old 01 July 2002, 05:12 PM
Cheeky Jim
Scooby Regular

agreed!

Jim
Old 01 July 2002, 05:14 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Here's some text that came with it.....

Make Speeding as Unacceptable as Drink Driving - Victim's Mum
NUMBER OF CAMERAS TO DOUBLE THROUGH COUNTY

SPEED control safety camera sites across the county are set to double in a bid to cut deaths and serious injuries on the roads.

'Safety Cameras Save Lives' was the message at the official launch of the West Yorkshire Safety Cameras Initiative at Thornton Grammar School on Thornton Road in Bradford. The venue was chosen as six people died on the road in two crashes last year.

Officers attached to the new Enforcement Unit displayed a number of the new brand new mobile speed camera units. Eleven roads with the highest casualty figures are set to have additional cameras installed this financial year. The new cameras and existing cameras are to be painted bright yellow and extensive signing will be in place alerting drivers to their presence.

The number of cameras in the county will double from 68 to 136.

Guest speakers at the launch included Assistant Chief Constable Steve Smith, Senior Traffic Engineer Steve Thornton, surgeon Michael Playforth and Carole Whittingham, founder of bereaved families support group SCARD.

Mrs Whittingham, who lost her son ten years ago, spoke of the need to make speeding as unacceptable as drink driving now is. She said: "My son's death has left us all traumatised. We have an ache in our hearts that can't be filled. To refer to the circumstances as an 'accident' I feel is grossly insulting. That driver made a choice that day. He was driving at 80 miles an hour in a 30 zone."

Surgeon Michael Playforth spoke of the changes he's seen in the nature of the injuries he's treated since not wearing seatbelts and drink driving became unacceptable. He said: "While working at Saint James Hospital in Leeds stitched the faces of many people back together who'd been thrown into a car windscreen. Fortunately people are getting good at wearing seatbelts now. Pedestrians involved in collisions at less than 20 miles an hour may have a chance of surviving - at 40 miles an hour the chance of survival is virtually nil."

ACC Smith said he made no apologies for the increased use of safety cameras, and said they were a positive step forward. He added: "We need a change in culture to make people view inappropriate speed as a killer. One hundred and forty deaths on the roads is not acceptable. No death on the roads is acceptable and I believe the cameras, sited in the right location, have a vital role to play to reduce this figure."

The West Yorkshire Casualty Reduction Partnership was formed last year to cut injuries by increasing the use of safety cameras on a non profit making basis and consists of West Yorkshire Police, all local authorities, Health Authority, Magistrates Court Service, Highways Agency and Crown Prosecution Service.

The location of the fixed camera sites and dates for mobile camera deployment will be sited on the Partnership's website:
http://www.safetycameraswestyorkshire.co.uk.
Old 01 July 2002, 05:46 PM
YorkshireSimon
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Excellent, nice one.....

YS
Old 01 July 2002, 05:54 PM
Burt
Scooby Regular

cheers, could save me and a few others a few quid.
Old 01 July 2002, 06:04 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

No idea - all the news I have is what's quoted above.

I do know, however, that the cameras are manned (not left alone) - but the drivers won't be processed there and then. Process is by way of NIP through the post.

I have info about WYP's policy and action for offenders at different speeds over the limit, but you'll have to email me for that.
Old 01 July 2002, 06:50 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can vouch for BuRR he's not a ****!

Hate to say it but seems like a nice guy!

David
Old 01 July 2002, 06:51 PM
RaZe-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

HA! East Yorkshire is as bad for "revenue raising"..

5:17pm Sunday 30th June - on the main dual carriageway out of Hull, its a 40mph limit, that changes to national speedlimit 75-100 yards from the bottom of this 40mph bendy downhill bit of dual carriageway

Its safely doable at 55-60 in the dry....has been one accident there I can think of in 5 years (lorry had a blowout coming INTO the town so was going the other way) and you are accelerating to head of towards the Humber bridge as you come down off the flyover and approach the National speedlimit sign...

There are some bushes on your left, you are bearing slightly right due to the bend in the road so are looking to your right hand side...so they sit a copper with his radar/camera/phaser gun behind the bushes on the left targeting people coming down the bend...

at 5:17 pm on a Sunday....

What a bunch of bar-stewards. Someone tell me how thats an "accident blackspot" or where the school children are meant to be and how they've got onto this flyover in the first place? And to top it off they hide the damn car!!!!! Havent even got the decency to sit in the open....
Old 01 July 2002, 07:06 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

I can vouch for BuRR he's not a ****!

Hate to say it but seems like a nice guy!

David
Who do I make the cheque payable to again, Dave? !!
Old 04 July 2002, 03:03 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

*bump*

as if by magic.......... the site appears.

Mobile speed cameras are operated by West Yorkshire Police on roads where the casualty figures do not justify fixed cameras but are causing concern to local communities and to the Casualty Reduction Partnership. This information is updated twice a month

This week (commencing Sunday 30/06/02)
Date

Road
01/07/02
No number
Long Lane, Dalton, Huddersfield

01/07/02
B6145
Thornton Road, Bradford

01/07/02
A636
Denby Dale Road, Wakefield

01/07/02
A629
Calderdale Way, Elland

01/07/02
A646
Halifax Road, Todmorden

01/07/02
A652
Bradford Road, Batley

Next week (commencing Sunday 07/07/02)
Date
Road
No mobile cameras in use this week.

Where permanent 'speed camera' signs have not been installed, temporary signs advising drivers that a mobile speed control safety camera is in use will be put in place before speed monitoring takes place.

Several mobile speed control safety cameras are used by West Yorkshire Police as part of the casualty reduction programme. Please note that locations of mobile safety cameras are subject to change without notice.

Old 04 July 2002, 08:12 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

A636, Denby Dale Road, Wakefield

I saw one of "said vans" yesterday, driving into town immediately after the speed limit went from 50mph to 30mph.

I was doing an indicated 35mph at the time (slowing down), and the van was on the opposite site of the road in a lay-by - so hopefully pointing at out-of-town traffic. Nothing on my BEL990, so they were not using radar or laser at the time.

Seems like a highly enforced town centre (not just speed) to me!

mb
Old 04 July 2002, 08:17 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Quote "Thanks that could save me a few quid"

This is not about saving money its about saving lives, and even though I drive what is considered to be a high performance car I do not condone speeding in built up areas and anyone who does deserves to get caught IMO. What I do object to however is the increasing number of mobile cameras on open national speed limit roads where there are no hazards or junctions etc. At the end of the day, its all down to awareness on the road and the appropriate use of speed. Too many drivers who have no interest in motoring need educating about the dangers and hazards of the inappropriate use of speed and lack of concentration/recklessness. I am referring to the "45 mph everywhere" brigade here. I am not doubting that speed is a contributing factor in the severity of collisions on the open road, but it is not the cause. Driver error, poor judgement and or recklessness are.

Yorkie
Old 04 July 2002, 08:29 PM
RaZe-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

I second that motion!