Sponsored by:

If your face doesn't fit............

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2002, 08:20 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Smile

Funnily enuff, when I was looking to buy in January '98, for delivery that August, it was the ignorance of a salesman at a Pug dealer in Doncaster that set me on the road to my Scooby. The salesman lost interest in me when he realised I wasn't buying until August, and refused me a test drive. (106GTi)
On my way out the sales manager asked me if I hadn't seen anything I liked, and when I replied that I wanted something with performance, he told me to go look at a Subaru (this from a Pug sales manager!!!) He then said "don't test drive one unless you're sure you can afford it. 'cos once you drive one, that's it for all other performance cars.
I put an order on one 2 days later!!

[Edited by alcazar - 7/1/2002 8:21:17 AM]
Old 28 June 2002, 12:51 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Angry

Just got back from my "local" (35 miles) dealer in Lincoln, who I won't name. I went there to buy the towbar electrics kit for my MY'98 turbo.
On the way out, I note that they've got a STI Prodrive version in the showroom and on demo. I go over for a better look--first time I've seen one, and am instantly in love.
I wander over to where I might find a salesman. No luck, just a stroppy woman, who asks me what I want. I tell her "a salesman". She says there's only one, and he's doing something and can't be disturbed.
"Another customer?", I query. "No, something else that he can't be disturbed with," she replies.
So I ask if he'll be long, and she tells me he's "taxing cars" and can't be disturbed!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OK, so I went in in jeans and a T. I've got my ear and eyebrow pierced. But I WAS driving a tidy MY'98, and I was serious.
Don't Subaru dealers have to try these days? Does the STI sell itself? Needless to say, they won't get my custom again!!!
Old 28 June 2002, 01:01 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

had a very similar experience with a Honda dealer down here when asking about the Accord Type R
Subaru down here were excellent
edited to say it was Adams who were fecking cool and customer service excellent!

[Edited by scoob_babe - 6/28/2002 2:55:44 PM]
Old 28 June 2002, 01:09 PM
MrDeference
Scooby Regular

She is probably some old battleaxe that was relishing the fact that the salesman was doing part of her job for her, and didn't want you to interupt him.
I would vent my anger in a letter to the dealership manager...
Old 28 June 2002, 01:09 PM
Coogie
Scooby Regular

Had a similar experience with my local dealer when i was looking for a scoob to buy.
They didn't have anything at the time, but the salesman took my details - car, year , budget etc and said they would give me a call if anything came up.
I know for a fact that they've had ideal cars on the forecourt since - but did i get a call? - NO.
Bought my MY00 private in the end and got a much better deal anyway!
Sometimes i like to just drive nice and slow past the dealer incase he spots me!
Maybe it was the jeans and T - shirt that put him off me too?

Nick.
Old 28 June 2002, 01:23 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Wink

I would have ask her if the general manager was about and you wanted a chat with him instead
Old 28 June 2002, 01:27 PM
CJRH
Scooby Regular

Angry

Same happened to me twice! Dealer in South East, I was after 2.0L Sport, had a Honda Civic Coupe at time, didn't take me seriously at all. Was down the West Country visiting my Gran a few weeks later, popped in to the dealership down there, 2 hours later I was the proud owner of a new Sport.
1 year later wanted to trade up to a turbo so again went to the dealership in South East, they offered me £8,000 trade in for my 1 year old Sport! Went back down to dealer where I had bought it from offered me £11,000 trade in, sourced and had the car brought up from Devon dealership. Now that’s what I call service!
I do have to say that the dealership in South East has an excellent servicing and after-sales / parts set up, its just the sales men who need to have a re-think seeing as they have lost out on two sales!

Chris
Old 28 June 2002, 01:30 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Just to add I walked into the Subaru dealership I brought my first car from and the salesman I had been dealing with was really busy with another customer but apologised to the customer he was with and told the other salesman to get me a coffee and chair. The other salesman then stopped what he was doing went and made me a coffee and came back an chatted about the cars and deals etc. Very friendly guys and no pressure, one of the best buying experiences I have had. Salesman knew I lived local and rang up and asked me to come in as there was some paperwork needed doing (waiting for car at the time) I popped in and he took me to the compound where my car had arrived about 2 hours before . Then spent an hour asking me how he should set his new home PC up .
Old 28 June 2002, 01:38 PM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

A few years ago, when I used to live in the Midlands, I went for a test drive of a Sport - all very well, but they didn't seem too keen to bother to get me a car - possibly because I told them I wouldn't be using Subaru finance.

On a trip to Somerset to see my wifes parents, we popped into Vale Motors (they were in Wincanton, now in Yeovil) and the salesman there couldn't have been more helpful. Needless to say, that's where I got the car from.

Back at Christmas, I was test driving cars with a view to replacing the Scoob and not thinking too highly of my local dealer, asked the same salesman at Vale if it might be alright to have a test drive while we were in Somerset for New Year. I knew it was a long shot as I guessed they wouldn't have too many staff on, but the salesman once again did everything he could and sorted out a test drive for me.

In the end, I preferred the Octavia RS so didn't buy the Scoob, but definitely think that if it the decision had been down to customer service Vale would have sold the Subaru and the other dealers wouldn't.
Old 28 June 2002, 01:43 PM
12LEE
Scooby Regular

UK sales skills = crap.
Old 28 June 2002, 01:47 PM
Vate
Scooby Regular

just goes to show how peeps experiences differ.
I ordered a turbo in Nov99 for del in Mar. one local dealer wanted £1k depo while anothe only £500 so he got my order.
Alas owing to the bottom falling out of the used car market my 1 yr old 306 gti-6 was valued at £11k in the trade come 1 mth before dleivery. I couldn't afford such a huge cost to change. The dealer was very understanding and said if I could sell it privately within the month no probs, if not, well, tough luck huh? We'll sell it to someone else anyway. Oh and we'll keep your £500 too.
I then paid out to be married that summer (at huge expense) but was in a position to buy at the end of the same summer. Went back to the same dealer and asked if they would take account of my £500 if I were to buy now. Sure they said. They had an unregistered Silver 4dr + a/c & leather in stock. He offered me £240 off, not even the cost of metallic paint.
Went to the other local dealer who found me a car in 2 weeks and gave me a grand off list too.
Proud owner now of same since Sep00 :-)
Old 28 June 2002, 01:48 PM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Walked in to Adams just to have a nose around (in jeans etc.) walked out with a Terzo

The sales guy (who's no longer there) was bl00dy good

Ian
Old 28 June 2002, 01:50 PM
Baby Blue
Scooby Regular

I don't mind naming names, Gavin Beck @ Beechdale in Nottingham - Always helpful and courteous even when I turned up in my jeans (complete with hole in the knee) and Tshirt.

Minor drama with getting the car taxed on the day, but lent me a car to pick up the kids from school - then went back to pick up my new WRX.

Overall a very pleasant buying experience. When I eventually replace this one will go back to Beechdale first.

Other than 1000 mile service, it hasn't been back for anything else so can't really comment on after sales service.

BB

Beech Boy - if you read this, I must be getting close to a commission for all the times I have recommended you by now - LOL!!!
Old 28 June 2002, 01:53 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I get this in every dealership I've ever been into bar one....the one I bought my Saxo from. I remember I was in looking at a car for my brother in a VW dealership and they had the 'then new' Lupo GTI in. Being a direct competitor for my car I had a good poke around and my brother and I could actually see the salesman laughing at us and mumbling, 'in their dreams' because of our age. I made a point of giving the VTS some stick in first as I left the car-park (fractionally quicker than the Lupo anyway). The ironic thing is, at the time, if the salesman had offered me a drive and good price, etc he might have been able to convince me to buy it! Fool.

I think I'll pop back down when I get the scooby just to pi$$ him off!
Old 28 June 2002, 02:02 PM
ScoobyGrannyDriver
Scooby Regular

Smile

I bought mine from Lancasters in Pangbourne and so far they've been brilliant.

I showed up to look at it looking like I'd been dragged through a hedge backwards, wearing scruffy leggings, t-shirt and a fleece but the sales guy was really helpful. When I wanted to test drive it they arranged to bring it to Bracknell, where I work, for me to test drive one lunchtime. The salesman was great when I asked if a work colleague could also test drive it, and when another work colleague ended up tagging along for the ride! Then, once I'd signed all the paperwork but before I picked up the car, my mum visited me for a day and wanted to see it. I called the garage thinking they wouldn't take kindly to me showing up to see a car I was picking up in a few days, just because my mum was down, but they were great. The car was round the back but the salesman went out to check that it was accessible and said bringing my mother down would be fine. All in all, I'm very impressed with the service so far.
Old 28 June 2002, 02:16 PM
mark d
Scooby Regular

Got my Prodrive Sti from SGT in Taplow, very helpful sales staff all round.

Test drove a 330CI the same day at the nearest BMW dealer where the salesman was an ar*e. Ignored me at first to talk to a older couple who turned out to want a basic compact, obviously didn't believe I had the cash for the BMW.

Admitedly I would have gone for the STi whatever, but when I upgrade in a couple of years to an M3 I won't go back to that dealer.

I was dressed in jeans and trainers. But then again what sort of tool would get dressed up to go and test drive cars?
Old 28 June 2002, 02:20 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

If the pre-sales treatment is bad, just imagine what the after sales is like

When I bought my Lexus (25 years old, dressed in jeans and t-shirt) the dealer was more than happy to help me and treated me like any other Lexus buyer. The after sales service was excellent too.

When I bought my Clio, the pre-sales staff seemed good, however they tried to rip us off. Both me and my girlfriend previously worked for Renault Financial Services (and told the salesman this) so they tried to put our loan through Lloyds without telling us. They told us the loan had been declined, so assuming they were using RFS we phoned a couple of contacts to find out why we had been rejected. Turns out they hadn't recieved the application (even though we had even signed RFS app forms and NOT Lloyds). So we asked them to re-apply through RFS and hey presto, we were accepted instantly on a better rate than quoted (not because of our contacts I hasten to add!).

This was a pre-cursor to the awful treatment we recieved after we bought the crappy french thing. When the airbag light came on permanently, we took it back to be repaired and they gave us a courtesy car. They dismantled the dashboard and discovered the passenger airbag was faulty, but the part wouldn't be in for 2 weeks, but they wouldn't reassemble the car and let us use it and then they asked for the courtesy car back. We still laugh about that one today.

If you get bad service when you're trying to give someone money, you're going to get worse service when your costing them money (i.e. when it's their fault)
Old 28 June 2002, 02:25 PM
ROBO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Took my MY 98 in to local dealer for an ecu change dressed in jeans and footy shirt on my way to the Audi garage to test drive a TT, saw new Type UK in showroom and was out on a test drive within minutes.

Phoned up Audi garage and told them i wasn`t coming and the following week i left my car as a down payment on a new Type UK while i`m working away to pay the rest, and yes the Type UK sold itself!!
Old 28 June 2002, 02:31 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Dont get me started on Renault after-sales care...grrrrrrrr [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

If my Clio 172 was not a company car it would have been lodged up someone at Fish Brothers in Reading's **** by now.

DrEvil can tell you a thing or 2 about Renault too.

Dave
Old 28 June 2002, 03:20 PM
stephen30
Scooby Regular

Obviously mine does then. I also went to Beechdale cos my Dad's a customer of their's. Saw MY97 Sport on their website, but it was in Derby and we wanted to ave a look at the Nottingham branch. No Problem. Turned up Saturday morning, had a test drive with guy from the dealers, although we were told we could take it out on our own. Anyway, bought the car dependant on my house sale going through so i could put some money down.
The best bit though was due to a delay n the sale of my house, took a month or so for me to get sorted. No problems at all, still got the car after they held it for me.
Also, just took it back for 75k mile service. Called up on Friday night and as long as I took it in at 8am Sat am they do it.
Excellent service all round. Needless to say, I'll e back there for my next service / car etc.

Steve
Old 28 June 2002, 03:29 PM
TopCat
Scooby Regular

this is to all the useless dealers out there
Old 28 June 2002, 05:14 PM
Hooley
Scooby Regular

Must say how well I have been treated in general by all dealers I went to look at cars before I got my WRX.

Looked at a Jag X-Type 3.0 Sport, a Golf V6 4Motion, and a Scoob WRX.

The Jag Dealer came to my house with the car as they didn't have one to hand for a 2 hour test drive. In the Golf I was allowed about 5 miles and 15 mins (But i already had a GTi Turbo). The WRX was already my fave but went for a test drive with Suzanne from Adams and although I got a frown over 4000 rpm, was allowed about 45 mins on a Saturday morning. Biggup Respec!

Got the Scoob and have had nothing but praise for the dealer, but the 3 month old 02 WRX was in an accident and Adams lent me a top of the range Peugeot 307 110bhp TD for 4 weeks whilst mine was repaired (How long does it take to ship a lower suspension arm from Japan?????)- racked up well over 2k miles and they did not bat an eyelid.

Still got steering troubles with my WRX, but they seem as keen as me to sort it out.

Must admit to being over 30, got quite a bit of grey hair, and was smart(ish)ly dressed when I went into the dealers.
Old 28 June 2002, 05:24 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Actually, the best place I ever got treated was Direct Drive in Warrington back when I was a student. I saw a Fiesta I liked (I was 18 and on a budget!) and they wanted me to take it for a test drive. I said I couldn't as I needed to pick my g/f up from the train station. They said take the car, as long as you bring it back before we shut, that'll be fine. I did just that, told them I wouldn't buy the car unless they changed the clutch and cam belt, got them to agree to £500 for my old mini (definate MOT failure) and got a great deal on the finance. Din't buy it in the end though
Old 28 June 2002, 05:41 PM
ricco
Scooby Regular

Angry

Well, there's only one Scoob dealer that i know of in Lincoln, same name as is in Horncastle..... I've been there and i know the stroppy woman you're talking about!! I couldn't agree more, she must have permenant PMT
Old 28 June 2002, 05:45 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

You simply can't judge people by their appearance. I had the same experience with a Renault dealer in Milton Keynes a while back. Went in for details for my Wife, and because I was wearing the gardening clothes I got a 'yeah ?' from the salesman, who reluctantly got me a brochure. I wouldn't mind, but between us we were looking to spend £35K + on cars.

I pointed this out in a letter to the boss, who was suitably contrite, but I've never even considered a Renault since.

The local Toyota dealer is as bad. I actually had to interupt the sale force's coffee morning to get served, after being completely ignored for 30 minutes.

These people deserve to go out of business IMHO.

Josh
Old 28 June 2002, 05:46 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Wink

ALERT!! ALERT!!

NON-PC post in General.......

......Quick mate, best delete that last comment!!
Old 28 June 2002, 06:01 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

alcazar,

What scoob you got as im from scunny...!! and i will look out for you....

Ive got a silver 1995 wrx reg D*DJH if you see me pip...

Dan..
Old 28 June 2002, 06:12 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Cool

Red MY '98 turbo, large spoiler, chin spoiler, quad morettes, pink badge, meshed grilles, lower one with Subaru stars.S** RBE.
ALL Scooby's get a (right sort of) flash from me.

[Edited by alcazar - 6/28/2002 6:15:04 PM]
Old 28 June 2002, 06:29 PM
HKSubaru
Scooby Senior

most subaru dealers are crap, the occasional ones are nice, if you show the dosh.
Old 28 June 2002, 06:30 PM
u r a bus
Scooby Regular

Angry

went to porsche garage o look at a 22b (S1) i think, went in a wrx very mint!!

didnt even approach until i sat in the car, then they sent the work experience guy who didnt even know what it was, seemed to think they were better than me.

although when i went to look at an r34 at mddlehurst they were very good, shame they sold it even though said i had first refusal!

Quick Reply: If your face doesn't fit............