Sponsored by:

VIRUS HOAX - RUBBISH!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2001, 07:31 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Regarding that notice about the virus.... active on June 1st....

Rubbish.

Got this email back from a friend who I thought I given the virus to -

Hi Dan
I got our techie team to check this out and it's actually a hoax. Apparantly deleting this item can be harmful to windows. Check out the link I attached which gives you further info.

Have a good day.

Em
Old 30 May 2001, 09:53 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

A friend of mine builds machines for a living and this has only gone to confirm what he has always said, which is that a vast majority of viruses are in fact nothing more than people mailing others all over the world warning of doom and gloom.

Only a minority of viruses are actually what most of would describe as a virus. ie destructive.
Old 30 May 2001, 10:11 PM
robman
Scooby Regular

There is one that has resurfaced in the last few days - evil little bugger that makes up an email using names it grabs from your machine and then includes an executable attachment called cfgwiz.exe which, by all accounts, does nasty things to your machine, including potentially stuffing your BIOS. As per most viruses these days it then emails itself using your address book to all of your contacts (cheers for that functionality Bill).

It is real, and one of my clients got it and it sent itself to us. We spotted it because of (A) the executable attachment (no thanks) and (B) the slightly odd, but feasible message that it had generated with the names of several people in their organisation interspersed.

Be careful out there. If in doubt, have a look for info on the virus on USENET via something like groups.google.com and see what the general consensus is. If it's real there will be something posted up on one of the major virus protection sites.

R