Sponsored by:

Close Encounter of the Deer Kind

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2001, 07:30 AM
Rebecca
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well done for avoiding it ...

I know how it feels ... in my part of Suffolk I have to run the gauntlet of deer, pheasants, rabbits, foxes, toads, horses and of course not forgetting cyclists and pedestrians on the road ... certainly keeps you alert.

Drive carefully now
Old 30 May 2001, 12:24 PM
SCOSaltire
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the scene:
10:30pm, dusk. on my usual route home after doing some overtime... heading NW... towards disappearing light...

came over a stone bridge, 3rd gear turn to the left, opens to a 4th right... in the flow... lights on dipped... onto a short straight...

lights catch something few feet away... whats that? ... hind legs of......... A DEER... IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD!!

its facing to the right, I stamp on the brakes, turn to the left... DITCH! ... turn to the right... OVERSTEER! ... turn left into the skid, catch weight shift with a slight turn to the right... continue for next 1/4 mile with heart racing from the adreneline... looking in rear mirror.. deer going back across the road into the field...

damn lucky... those deers' camouflage work!

i'm thankful i was in the scooby... not sure a different car could have managed the evasive manoeuvre...

[This message has been edited by SCOSaltire (edited 30 May 2001).]

[This message has been edited by SCOSaltire (edited 30 May 2001).]
Old 30 May 2001, 12:37 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

SCO, well done m8 for avoiding that ditch. Has your heart rate settled yet?

I bet the deer was just looking at you as if to say "what's wrong with him"

Living out in the countryside, I usually have to avoid the odd sheep that's wandered onto the roads. I go running a lot and especially in winter it's often dark before I get back home. There's an old road, now closed off to traffic where I go for short runs. I was out last year and by the time I headed home it was pretty dark. No street lights and the roads lined with trees and bushes, so you can't see much. Running along quite the thing and the next minute a deer and her foe come bounding across the road right behind me. Boy did I mess my pants. My little heart monitor rocketed through the max heart rate set - 185bpm for me !!!!

I think they sit by the side of the road just waiting to scare the **** out of someone

Stefan