Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P1 & EVO VII Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2002, 07:06 PM
z80
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last month I sold my P1 and purchased a new Evo VII type FQ300 from my local Mitsubishi dealer. In a previous post I said that I’d return and share views on the FQ300 and attempt to make a comparison between the two cars. I hope someone might be interested.

Everyone is well acquainted with the P1 whereas only a few people know what an FQ300 is. The car is brought in by the Colt Car Company and supplied by Mitsubishi Ralliart dealers. The car is an up rated RSII model but fitted with certain GSR model parts. It has an active centre diff with 3 settings for tarmac, gravel and snow, AYC and ABS. Instead of climate air there’s manual aircon. It’s a five speed box and 5th gear is about 22 mph per 1000 according to a GPS I used for the test. So except for the ACD and AYC things it’s the same as the P1 so far. Four doors make it easy for rear seat access and its boot is as big as the P1’s too.

The car is fitted with the FQ300 upgrade at the Bristol docks and this consists of some carbon fibre stuff on the dash and on the spoiler. A supposed high flow air filter, a modified exhaust centre section and huge drainpipe back box exit completes the FQ300 package. The dealer from whom I purchased it has established the rated power output to be 320 bhp and max torque is 300 ftlb’s at 4,500 rpm. From something I’d read earlier I had thought the power was 305 bhp but apparently it’s not, they say.

Unlike the P1 it doesn’t have a rear wash wipe, variable wiper delay (a fixed 4 second interval is provided instead), instrument console back light adjust and no bright switch. Four electric window lifter switches are provided though.

How does it go?..Compared to a P1, there’s not a lot of straight line performance difference that I can tell. In the P1, It was always easy to get away from standstill very quickly and so the P1’s 0-30 time might be quicker. I’ve only done 1300 miles in the Evo and am reluctant to try this standing start manoeuvre yet but I think the P1 will still have the edge here. As far as the rest of the acceleration is concerned, although there’s a healthy amount of torque down around 2500 the push in the back happens further up the rev range from about 4500 rpm and the car flies in a ferocious and frenetic manner that we all love. Chasing a P1 down the track and keeping up (assuming an equally average/bad driver as myself) would not be a problem. Passing though.. don’t know about that.

Where the FQ300 excels, absolutely revels in, is going round corners. It hangs on for dear life and truly, worryingly open corners at high speed are dispensed with easily. Certainly, going round and round is one of its virtues and a good driver has already shown me in a demo car how it was possible to travel round the top of a motorway roundabout in bone dry conditions at 70+ whilst at a complete sideways attitude. I can’t and won't do that though but some track days might make it easier to understand how. The P1 might well be able to do the same but the impression I have is the Evo is better here.

What I don’t like about the car is the noise the thing produces. The exhaust is lacking in its P1 throb that I adored and it makes a loud drone at tickover. The cabin noise is also a little too loud and I will probably fit some soundproofing in order to maintain what little sense I’ve still remaining. The dealer's very supportive & they've said they would pay for a diffrent backbox to be fitted.

Overall I’m very pleased with the car. It doesn’t have the cheekiness of the P1 but it’s easily as quick and the additional 2 doors allow my growing family to climb in and out without fuss.

I hope this was of interest to some.

Simon
Old 25 June 2002, 08:45 PM
Stevethevet
Scooby Regular

Hi. Found the comparison of P1 and FQ interesting. Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but do you know how the FQ300 compares to WRX STi Type Uk (262 bhp) in terms of performance? Cheers.
Old 25 June 2002, 09:06 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Probably going to get flamed for this but here goes (takes deep breath). The P1 is 276bhp and 1285kgs and the STI 7is 262bhp and 1400+kgs (cant rememebr exactly). Okay the STi has 6 ratios but its still shifting more metal around. [scotty mode] "You canna change the laws of physics captain"[scotty mode off]. The STI7 maybe better built have a more solid feel, handle better due to the new diff but in all out straight line, kick in the back stuff it wouldnt be as quick as a P1. Across a windy B road then it maybe close both are quick cars though and would come down to driver ability to make a big difference.

Cheers

ChrisP
Old 25 June 2002, 09:42 PM
chopper
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Nice to see a frank and non-slanging match comparison, which does not detract from the appeal of either car, just highlights the honest differences. I imagine it will soon degenerate though

I've realised some time ago that we all look for some things more than others in cars (an interior on a boxster/996 may well sway a potential 993 buyer away for example, yet the extra power and quirky rear engine character may appeal to another more). Seems like the magazines are right on this one - evo is sharper, better confidence being silly in and probably quicker, but a P1 is a better noise, easier to live with when not feeling mental and probably compliments the not so good driver more on most drives
Old 25 June 2002, 09:45 PM
PSI3
Scooby Regular

Cool

Sounds good Simon, glad your happy with it. Is your car black by any chance, as i saw one at Castle Combe recently.
I will give you a call tomorrow to organise a sales visit

simon

[Edited by PCB - 6/25/2002 9:45:44 PM]
Old 25 June 2002, 10:31 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

Cool

Simon - you weren't on the M25 around 9am on Sunday?

Saw a black FQ300 and was pretty impressed. Looks much better than silver IMHO.

Well balanced comparison btw.

DP.
Old 25 June 2002, 10:33 PM
importsti
Scooby Regular

Interesting read.
I'd plump for an imported Sti V5 or V6 4door and save thousands instead of buying the P1. I hate climbing out of coupes.

Trending Topics

Old 26 June 2002, 12:49 AM
jamesa
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

z80........thanks.
Old 26 June 2002, 08:27 AM
wilf
Scooby Regular

Good comparison. Let us know if you manage to sort out the backbox prob.
Old 26 June 2002, 09:17 AM
jjk
Scooby Regular

I test drove the FQ300 the other week at a dealer in Odiham.
It felt quick and know what you mean about noisy.
I did miss the grumble of the boxer engine though.
I have an RB5 WRSport, but have not driven a P1.
It felt stronger pulling and no real turbo lag.
Will consider it in a year or two once there are one or two second hand ones on the market.

jas
Old 26 June 2002, 08:06 PM
z80
Scooby Regular

Thanks everyone.

The car is satellite silver but I've never seen a satellite that colour before.

Because of the noise, my Mitsu dealer has just agreed to pay for the fitting of something called an HKS Super Dragger exhaust together with its pipe (a total of £485). This was recommended to me by a guy called Mike at Steve Hill M-Sport - they seem very helpful and are recommended by the evo lot. They will also be fitting it.

The Mitsu dealership have been very good throughout.

P1 sounds nicer though.

Simon

(Note for PCB:- Hi Simon, I'm more or less completely chocker on a contract & won't be able to meet you in the week, but I'll phone to arrange a meet).

[Edited by z80 - 6/26/2002 8:07:54 PM]

[Edited by z80 - 6/26/2002 8:08:32 PM]
Old 26 June 2002, 08:10 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

LOL must be loud to fit a HKS super dragger to quieten it down . The super draggers arent exactly quiet .
Old 27 June 2002, 05:14 AM
SwinYE5
Scooby Regular

Steve Hill Motorsport are a top outfit and have advised you well..... The Super Dragger isn't that loud, not as loud as the HKS Hyper Muffler.....
Old 27 June 2002, 07:42 PM
Stevethevet
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the comments chaps.

I had the opportunity to drive the FQ300 and STi (Type UK) back to back the other day. As you said (chrisp) the FQ is damn quick in a straight line. For my money, though, I preferred the way the STi handled and thought body control and grip was fantastic. I think Chopper hit the nail on the head about it all being down to personal choice. I felt much more "comfortable" in the STi than the FQ although I acknowledge the FQ feels quicker in a straight line. However, get rid of the cats and allow the STi to breathe a bit easier and who knows............

P.S. I heard rumours that Prodrive are releasing a 300 bhp conversion, warranty approved, for the Type UK before the end of the year! Anyone heard this also?