how do you mesh the front grille?

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2002, 01:32 PM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

sorry for sad question,
but how do you do it on the cars up to 96. Do you cut out all the louvres or leave them in.
does the mesh go behind the louvres or in front of it.

i want to attach the mesh using silicon sealant and some self tappers do you think this is suitable?

any comments/help appreciated
Old 23 June 2002, 02:00 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Cool

OK. this is how I did mine on a '98 turbo-not that different.
Got the mesh from local tuning type place, but Halfords decent branches sell it, not dear, lots of choices for colour, hole width, style etc.
Remove upper grille,(open bonnet, at either end of grille are two holes, insert small screwdriver blade,or allen key into hole, and press gently while pulling forwards on grille. I say press gently as if you press too hard, the clips go right in and are a b*gger to get back out) Now pull grille forwards and upwards and off it comes. It's a good idea to take it indoors and clean it thoroughly at this point, but optional!
At this point, have a close look at your mesh-- see which way up you think it looks best, and be careful to cut all pieces out of it with it the same way round, or it'll look bollox, not the dog's.
Cut youself (with sharp tinsnips) a piece of grille slightly too large for one side of the grille area, measuring from centre of badge. Offer it up and trim carefully to size, work slowly and take off a bit at a time until you're satisfied. You can't put bits back if you take off too much. Measure twice, cut once.
Mine is "fixed" using pieces of galvanised iron wire (copper would do),threaded through, and twisted at the back. Not permanent, should you need one off any time, but invisible from more than 10 feet.
Lower area done similarly. Only probs were: 1. Had to remove number plate fixing points as I have a lower spoiler mine fits on. 2. It's a bit fiddly twisting the wire into place behind the grille as you can't get it off. Small hands help.
B4 fitting the lower single piece, I cut out a stencil of the Subaru badge, taped it into place, and sprayed it onto the black grille in white.
I've also removed my black Subaru badge, stripped off the black paint from the rear using Wickes paintbrush cleaner and a bit of elbow grease, resprayed it pink, and refitted it with sticky pads from a car accessory shop. Pink grille badge for abt £4.
Hope this helps, and I'm not teaching you to "suck eggs".
Old 23 June 2002, 02:33 PM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

cheers mr alcazar , any help always gladly accepted do you fancy posting a pic of your work?
Old 25 June 2002, 06:51 PM
stratman
Scooby Regular

Hi

I did mine by cutting out the centre bar and fixing ally mesh from Halfords to back using blobs of filler, then spray paint black using Halfords black bumper paint. Cost £15

email me if you want full instructions denis@stratman10.freeserve.co.uk

Stratman

[Edited by stratman - 6/25/2002 6:55:20 PM]
Old 25 June 2002, 10:59 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Cool

Pics of owt |I do are not poss at the mo, but new digi camera due soon and will try as soon as I've learnt how.
Old 25 June 2002, 11:34 PM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

well im well on with it now, im taking pics as i go. so i might post something later.