Sponsored by:

Lockheed DOT 5.1 (please don't move)

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2002, 10:56 AM
PeteT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I know this is in the wrong forum but I've tried "wheels tyres and brakes" and can't get an answer.
I ordered some dot 5.1 brake fluid from Scoobymania and was sent Delphi Lockheed DOT 5.1 'non silicon based' stuff.
On reading the bumf on the back it says "change brake fluid once a year". Is this suitable for my standard brakes car as I understand the brake fluid is only changed every 2 years according to the service schedule? I emailed Mike at Scoobymania but didn't get a reply. Cheers.
Old 25 June 2002, 11:19 PM
fivepint
Scooby Regular

AFAIK yup its fine, the higher spec fluids need to be changed more often... but during there life will give better feel... try mike on the IWOC mailiong list just in case

cheers
Old 26 June 2002, 12:13 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I'd say it'd be fine too.

Brake fluid is Hydroscopic... it absorbs water, that's why you have to change it, perhaps 5.1 hydroscops quicker, I dunno!

Bob
Old 26 June 2002, 12:45 AM
DRUNKNORGY
Scooby Regular

The DOT rating is given to indicate the boiling point of the Brake fluid, The higher the rating, The higher the boiling point. Unless you race your car and are prepared to change your brake fluid at every meeting, Silicone fluid is a bad option for a road car unless its system has been designed to run with it.
All brake systems take in water (moisture)due to heating and cooling in the calipers. Silicone fluid will not absorb this and it pools in the bottom of the system (calipers). This makes the pistons rust causing them to stick and also more alarmingly, allows a boiling point of approx 100c within the braking system at the hottest place, which can turn into steam which compresses the system, which locks up the wheel. The moisture in a glycol based fluid is distributed evenly.

If you want a proper explanation go to http://www.tirekingdom.com/purch/brkfluid.html

[Edited by DRUNKNORGY - 6/26/2002 12:50:01 AM]