Sponsored by:

Boost Gauge tubing itting

Search this Thread

Old 25 May 2001, 10:32 PM
PeteC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My apologies for posting this here, but so far I've had no response from the Interior section, and I'm concerned that as long as I'm driving my car with the tubing disconnected, I may be sucking in unfiltered air into the engine, and at the end of the day I simply want to know how best to reconnect the piping:

The tubing for my boost gauge has come disconnected at the turbo end, so obviously the gauge no longer works. I had the gauge fitted (part of a three-gauge Racymex set) when I bought the car.
My boost gauge has always only ever shown positive readings (ie, no negative boost). I seem to remember someone saying that there are two possible connection points that can be used, and that Gertjan (the dealer in Holland) tended to use the one that gave positive readings only, because this gave either a more accurate reading, or a steadier one. Can anyone comment on that? And can anyone tell me how to reconnect this tubing?

Thanks,

Pete

Old 25 May 2001, 11:23 PM
Kevin Greeley
Scooby Regular

I don't think you'd be sucking in rubbish due to the connection being where only positive pressure is being measured. You might be loosing a bit of boost pressure though.

The pipe is probably connected into a 'T' in the tubing going to or around the wastegate but I could be wrong.

Kevin.
Old 26 May 2001, 01:45 PM
Greg115
Scooby Regular

Talking

The two common points for connecting the boost gauge are at the top front of the inlet manifold and somewhere teed into the boost pack on the drivers side back of the engine bay. You will need to have a look and see if there is a small tube heading from this area back to the bulkhead into the car. The popular route is either through the air con grommet or the grommet by the clutch pedal. It is also possible that a small throttling valve has been put in the gauge line and has become blocked with dirt or vibrated shut. This valve will be there to prevent gauge flutter. Alternatively an orifice could have been used which might have become blocked.
Regards
Greg
Old 28 May 2001, 01:24 PM
PeteC
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks guys. Kevin's reference to a T-piece somewhere in the tubing rang a bell, as I'd remembered seeing one which looked bare on one side. I tried attaching the boost gauge tube to this and - hey presto - I have a working boost gauge again.

Whether this is somehow connected to the waste gate I've no idea - I'm afraid my mechanical knowledge these days just about extends to knowing that the engine lives underneath the bonnet, and that's about it!!

Anyway, thanks again guys - I really appreciate it.

Pete