Buying my first scooby..

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2024, 07:20 PM
Bennji
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying my first scooby..

Hi,
I've always loved Subaru's and I'm finally in a position to buy one. I have found one for sale at a price I think is a bargain! But I'm completely new to owning Subaru's and would like some advise from you guys. I have been looking at different versions and years and have found an '03 blobeye STI. I'm hoping the price reflects the fact it is not one with DCCD, I also do not think it is wide track either.

I have arranged to have a look and have done some research on what I should be looking out for.

I will give some details of the car from the advert.

The car is listed as a '03 WRX STI with 94,000 and is listed about £10k. The cam belt was done 8k miles ago, and has all service history. It is a PPP but it has been modified. Some of the modifications include milltek exhaust, uprated intercooler, upgraded fuel injectors, upgraded headerpipes, larger turbo, cold air intake kit, upgraded fuel pump, anti lift kit, electronic boost controller, dump valve, strut braces, coil overs, brembo brakes. The car is black with graphite grey wheels. It looks very clean in the pictures. There is also a print out showing it at the 390hp and invoices for all the upgrades which makes me think that it has been done by someone who knows what they were doing. And again the car looks very clean in pictures, but black paint can be deceiving sometimes.

Now for the bits that give me a slightly uneasy feeling.

It looks to be at a dealer maybe, but trying to Google the dealer for look at a few reviews didn't come up with much or anything in fact. But he does look to have a number of cars for sale. He has another 10 cars listed so may be a smaller solo dealer.

It was abit awkward to make contact, I sent a message through the website and didn't get a reply, after 3 tries of phone number got through to someone. When I asked to come view it he said to just give him a call on the day.

The price. I have been looking for a subaru for a while now. I have a project VW beetle I plan on converting to a turbo Subaru engine machine so have been learning about them for a while although this will not be that Subaru, this will be weekend fun. But, I have seen the basically the same car with similar milage but unmodified a couple of times now for sale 2-6k higher, are the modifications what make this a 10k car? Or is it a combination of those and the fact it's an '03 with no DCCD and not a wide track and 20yrs old now?

I don't mind the fact it is modified as I only plan on good weather weekend driving it, learning to live by the saying you only love once, I think now is the time to get one of my favourite cars.

Any advice would be appreciated

​​​​​​​
Old 17 January 2024, 07:31 PM
Bennji
Scooby Newbie

Here are some pics I have cropped from the advert.

Old 18 January 2024, 07:14 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

There's a world of difference between cheap mods and expensive mods, and as you dont say/know what brands have been used , it's essential that the car is presented with as much paperwork and service history as possible. Even more important is inspection for rust at that age, particularly the rear arches. This is hidden under the arch liners and affects the suspension turret. It is VERY expensive to correct, and needs someone experienced to detect, so spend some time studying videos or images of the issue. Walk away if there is any sign under the boot liner , or in the arches and sills. Lift the sill covers.
Currently, you dont have anywhere near enough info to buy on.
Be prepared to travel and be patient for the right one
The following users liked this post:
Old 18 January 2024, 07:23 AM
Bennji
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the advice hedgecutter, I had read up to look out for the rust in the rear arches and also rust under the side skirts.

The advert doesn't really say many makes for the upgrades but this is what it says

'Hyperflow uprated intercooler, larger 650cc fuel injectors, uprated Header pipes, uprated MD321H Turbocharger, APS Cold intake kit, uprated Fuel Pump, Whiteline Anti lift kit, Milltek Exhaust, Graphite grey OZ Racing Ultraleggera Alloy Wheels, Apexi AVCR Electronic Boost Controller, Dump Valve, Whiteline strut braces, AST Coilcovers, Brembo Brakes, STI Sport bucket Seats'

It does also say 'EVERY INVOICE PRESENT ALONG WITH THE DYNO PRINOUT OF 390 BHP'

I am willing to be patient for the right one to come along, but saw this at that price and it definitely gave something to think about.

Old 18 January 2024, 08:46 AM
Flat4x4-again
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I would start your search not with 'it looks a bargain' but with 'how much will I need to spend'.
When I buy a used car it's about what has been done already that I won't need to do.

As mentioned, rust, and with 100bhp more than standard - clutch, gearbox oil, front brake discs & calipers(?), Suspension parts. On the engine, as the other poster said, who did and when was the work - what is their reputation?

​​​​​
Old 18 January 2024, 02:21 PM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts

You will need approx 6k sooner than later to solve rust issue on 90k miles UK car
below my front subframe 78k miles jdm car in UK from new ,just found out quick rack leaks to, bill could be way over 2k pounds-parts and labour ,but found used good quick rack for 240 quid and new subframe ( last in UK and Japan for widetrack )for 400
I do not mind ,it's a keeper but if You do not wish to spend more money avoid UK cars or old jdm Imports like type20 type25 etc
My rear turrets are good ,i changed suspension year ago looked good but it will need rust treatment sooner than later

new sprayed some storage marks

Last edited by JdmSti2006; 31 January 2024 at 05:05 PM.
Old 18 January 2024, 05:31 PM
nicam49
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
Default I

If you have the reg, then look up mot history on DVLA website.
Old 18 January 2024, 09:32 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

It seems to be well equipped, eg AST coilovers are quality......But they require rebuilds often at 20k mile intervals, so as has been mentioned, you'll need a fund on top of your purchase price for such eventualities.
Old 19 January 2024, 06:41 PM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
It seems to be well equipped, eg AST coilovers are quality......But they require rebuilds often at 20k mile intervals, so as has been mentioned, you'll need a fund on top of your purchase price for such eventualities.
Ill re phrase what you said about the asts.
Asts are supposed to be excellent coilovers and they are when their not leaking expect the first leak at about 15k which hopefully will be covered by warranty, expect the second leak at 30k. And if your stupid like me expect the 3rd leak any time after the second leak.
But it's worse than that because of fitting and alignment costs.
And then you have the bother of packing them up and sending to cook sport.

And the very expensive camber top mounts fail (£350) at 30k and start knocking, not fully street able as ast suggest.

Last edited by lockheed; 19 January 2024 at 06:45 PM. Reason: For accuracy
Old 31 January 2024, 04:28 PM
Rb26power
Scooby Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you get the car? Back on ebay private seller now didnt last long
Old 03 February 2024, 09:51 AM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts

sold as seen says it all