Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BEWARE THE DEALERS! BL55 reg scooby nightmare.

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2007, 02:24 PM
carnivorous
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BEWARE THE DEALERS! BL55 reg scooby nightmare.

Hi guys. I'm a new member here, but I thought I'd share my Subaru dealer horror story with everyone so you know to be on your guard! Beware this is a novel as I am bored at work right now:

It's a long story, so I'll make sure to drag it out for all those of you that are bored in the office like I am! LOL. Having owned a 1996 Scooby estate almost 10 years ago, which my dad's best mate now keeps at his holiday house - 225,000 miles and still going strong, I went through several other cars over the past decade from Audis to Toyotas, but nothing ever felt as good or as "right" as that old scooby did. A few months ago, I decided to take the plunge and buy myself the WRX saloon I always wanted. The STI is too hardcore for me to enjoy long journeys and the PPP WRX is almost as quick anyway. I wanted some money left over for extras, so I began looking for a lightly used hawkeye round my local dealerships - I do alot of miles so I wanted the Subaru warranty.

MKG3000 in Twickenham came up trumps as they had 3 low-mileage "Subaru fleet" cars in blue. 55/56 reg with under 6000 miles on the clock. I went to see the cars and drove the one I liked - BL55 WKU - but I wasn't quite as vigilant as I normally am when I am inspecting a second-hand vehicle - perhaps due to the age of the car and the "proven Used Subaru" warranty program. I liked the car and noone local had a blue WRX in stock with such low mileage, so I decided to take the plunge. I discussed the usual stuff with the dealer and asked about the car's history. I was told the cars came direct from Subaru UK as an ex fleet car. I asked if the car had ever been on a track. "Nah mate, never, they only track the STIs anyway...these are just fleet cars." Satisfied, I handed over nearly 15k.

Six days later it was time for me to collect the car, but the dealer hadn't received the V5 through from Subaru yet, so, to their credit, they gave me a brand new 07 demonstrator to use "gently" until my car was ready. Three days later I picked up my car and drove it home. It felt twitchy compared to the identical 07 I had been driving and slightly unstable. I went straight back to the dealer. The owner of the dealership drove the car with me in it and said "they all feel like this". I replied that the 07 I had just been driving didn't. At all. He said "go get used to it and come back in a few days if you're still not happy." I didn't have time to argue and he and his service manager looked the car over and assured me it was fine. I went home in a twitchy Subaru. The next day, I had an appointment in London first thing and vowed to get the car sorted afterwards. On the drive to London and back, I noticed that the brakes felt wooly compared to the 07, the clutch had a judder and the car was definetely too nervous. When I got home it was too late to ring the dealer. Being Saturday night, I decided to go see the dealer first thing Monday morning and get them to look at the car. On Sunday, I had a good look at the car and found several things that weren't quite right;

A) The tyres were feathered to buggery (which explains the scary handling), and looked so melted around the edges I couldn't rightly believe someone had managed this on public roads. Besides which they were bloody illegal in that state. B) The tyres were Avon ZZ3's - not only a nasty tyre, but not standard fit, so this was at least the second set of tyres on the car from new - at 5,800 miles?! C) The brake discs looked severely worn, again very odd on a 6000 mile car. D) There were faint outlines on the rear doors which looked like the edge of vinyl stickers having been on the car...but these were barely visible and would have probably polished out.

I am a professional photographer and work on a few car mags. I made some calls, got my connections working that same day and managed to find out that the car was an ex- Subaru Racing Experience @ Castle Coombe vehicle. I was fuming. I got the proof in writing and prepared myself to throttle the dealer with my bare hands first thing the next morning.

Monday morning 8.30 am I strutted into MKG3000 like a pissed off elephant on steroids.
"Good morning Phil. Is there a problem with the car?"
"Yeah it's a track car, that's the problem. Give me my money back."
"What do you mean it's a track car?"
Out comes the paperwork and an A4 photo of the car goin round a track, plus a "Subaru dealer defrauding customers" press release ready to go out to EVERY UK car mag, along with an explanation of my job and the people I work with/for. Dealer picks up telephone and rings owner of dealership, offers me tea/coffee and asks me to wait for owner. 10 minutes later the owner shows up, looks at the paperwork, then looks at me. Off I went,
"I specifically asked if you knew whether or not the car had been tracked, and you told me you categorically knew it hadn't. Now I find out it was a dedicated bloody track car...for amateurs on their day out!"
"We weren't informed of this by Subaru, we were told they were fleet cars."
"Well then you have a problem with Subaru UK, now give me back my cash and I'll be off."
"Isn't there something we can do to resolve this? I will replace the tyres, brakes and clutch for free."
"Nice try, I bought a 5,800 mile road car. This isn't. It may as well have 50k on it the way it's only ever been ragged over rumble strips, the bushes, suspension, turbo et al have all had a bloody hard life from new. I don't want this car, it's not worth 15k."
"Well what can we do to make you happy?"
I paused.
"You can give me the 2007 with 120 miles on the clock that I put on there and I'll retract the press release. Or you can give me my money and deal with the press release when I send it out later today."
Several minutes of negotiations later, I managed to get myself a brand new WRX that only I had ever driven for under £16k. The difference to the supposedly identical 55reg is phenomenal.

So in the end it all tuned out alright. But only because I had people helping me and I got lucky and found out. I checked over the next few weeks and all 3 cars were still up there for sale at the same price. No mention of them being ex track cars. Nice. I did phone Subaru for comment and their PR director personally assured me that the dealer WAS informed that these vehicles were ex-track cars and that it was the responsibility of each dealership to go through the Subaru Approved Used Car inspection plan for every used vehicle and certify it. Great, mine was certified approved on illegal tyres. There is no legal reason that the dealer has to disclose that the car was a track car, the point is I made sure to ask and he lied when he answered me. Quite simply, a 6000 mile track car is not the same as a 6000 mile road car. A 6000 mile amateur track day experience car is even further down the list.

All the cars at this particular dealership were BL55 reg. I don't know how many there were in total but they had 3. Don't buy one. If you already have, they might be perfectly fine but mine wasn't.

Needless to say, I haven't been back to the dealer since and won't be using them in future. It's a minefield, this used car business. Even from the "official" sources, you can quite easily get done over.

Last week I still hadn't received my new V5 more than 8 weeks later. I phoned the DVLA and SHOCK HORROR, the dealer had never sent the paperwork off. I've had to send in my New Owner Supplement and apply for a new V5. Way to round off a very professional transaction and the superb conduct one would expect from a franchised dealer. Go MKG. Not.
Old 26 July 2007, 02:39 PM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

Nasty story with a good outcome, I suppose all these track cars do eventually have to find new homes, but there's nooo way I'd want one.

I'd still be very tempted to complain to Subaru UK about this, one of it's dealers is telling porkies, not good for their image.

Anyway I thought that tracking your car voided the warranty?
Old 26 July 2007, 02:42 PM
Ryo
Scooby Regular

I'm glad you had a good outcome. And yes, I feel sorry for anyone not able to come up with the proof you did and gets lumbered with one of the above cars.

Its pretty shocking really - thanks for posting this up.
Old 26 July 2007, 02:43 PM
WRX Blues
Scooby Regular

...should have gone to Cheam Motors....
Old 26 July 2007, 02:52 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Shocking story with at least a happy ending.

I always buy new cars. I'd hate to get involved in the second hand car market. It's just such a mine field these days, and as proven above, franchised dealers are no guarantee.
Old 26 July 2007, 02:57 PM
Drift_King
Scooby Regular

Spot on for letting everyone know about this
Old 26 July 2007, 03:00 PM
carnivorous
Scooby Regular

Default cheam

yeah, Cheam is where I had my old scoob serviced and I went there first but they didn't have the right car for me. anyway it's where I am going from now on for servicing and where i had the PPP kit done.

Trending Topics

Old 26 July 2007, 03:08 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Wow, i bet they never expected anyone to ever find out.

At least you got a better deal out of it.
Old 26 July 2007, 03:13 PM
jubhi
Scooby Regular

Well done on this mate and thanks for making us aware, shocking really that even the dealers are out to mislead people
Old 26 July 2007, 03:17 PM
Wmscooby
Scooby Regular

Not quite the same story but i had a second hand 52 plate sti from CMS Vauxhall in Kidderminster. Sales guy Chris was superb got a good deal and i was well happy.

Then i take the car in because the pads are squeeling front and rear. Ok under the "Network Q" warranty the pads are covered for as long as i own the car.
Work shop manager then questions how many miles ive done and how i drive the car!!! WTF it didnt state anything of this in warranty, so just look at the pads!! He did then informs me that there is 20% left on the front and 25% left on the rears. He refused to change them!!

Fuming now i see the service manager and ask him if he would drive the car across Europe with the pads like they are???
To my amazement he says yes!! Ok i said if youre not going to change the pads are you going to pay for the discs being damaged then due to low pads?? Are you going to guarantee my brakes will work should i need them?

After about 10 mins he comes back and agrees to change the fronts!!

I have since bought rears and changed them myself and ive sent a letter to Vauxhall about this matter.

They just dont want to spend any money do they

Ok rant over!!!
Old 26 July 2007, 03:47 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

I've had nothing but p*ss poor service from Subaru dealers, who charge a fortune and solve very little, so this doesn't really surprise me!
Old 26 July 2007, 03:53 PM
Drift_King
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul3446
I've had nothing but p*ss poor service from Subaru dealers, who charge a fortune and solve very little, so this doesn't really surprise me!
Let's not tar them all with the same brush. I have had nothing but good things to say about my ~2yrs dealings with Subaru dealers - from buying a brand new car, to servicing and costs plus the free (very good) advice when I call them.

You get bad eggs for all makes and I have very bad experiences with BMW and Vauxhall dealers in ther past (although two of the 3 local Vauxhall places have been good) - Honda happen to be OK too.
Old 26 July 2007, 03:54 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

great post carnivorous and very well dealt with
Old 26 July 2007, 03:59 PM
carnivorous
Scooby Regular

the above is very true. it seems to be a british phenomenon though. my parents live in Germany, and I am there a few times a year and often get my cars serviced there. i have never had a bad service and any work short of excellent from a german dealer. i remember when i warped the discs on my old scoob and multiple dealers here said i needed new discs. got a service done in germany and they milled down the discs - £30 and good for another 10-15k. or when my dad was still living here , and took his mercedes-serviced merc for a service in germany. the guys in germany freaked at the state of the engine bay, unclipped lines and all. not to mention unipart parts in the car. turns out the mechanic at the local merc dealer had been floggin merc parts and using unipart ones for the services. lovely.
Old 26 July 2007, 04:24 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Quote:
"Let's not tar them all with the same brush."

I don't think that saying I'm not surprised as I've had bad experiences, is tarring them all with the same brush.

My local dealer could barely contain their indifference whenever I went there with any problems.

I looked at a 2nd hand car at a different dealer once and enquired about part/ex, they promised to call me back the next day with a price, I never heard from them again.

I bought my first Impreza from yet another dealer and the clutch judder was so bad I took it straight back for a new clutch and flywheel, there's no way they couldn't have noticed it, but of course they denied it.

Those are my experiences, I now go to Special Scoobies in Colchester, who service my car with enthusiasm and care and charge a very reasonable rate.

Therefore I don't need to go back to any dealers in Colchester, Chelmsford or Basingstoke!
Old 26 July 2007, 04:50 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I have only had a good exepiences with my local dealership when i had the scoob, warranty work sorted same day or as soon as parts avaliable, good advice and helpful.

Had **** experieces with Mercedes, Audi, VW and Vauxhall and not to forget Ford. Audi and Merc being the worse and most arrogant in my experiece. Mazda being the most incomeptant and Vauxhall has the most 'could not give a sh*t' approach. Not too sure how much this has to do with the manufacturer as much as the group/owner of the dealership and their management.
Old 26 July 2007, 05:31 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

I wasn't happy with the state of my car from S&S Subaru in Ayr, the windscreen had a scratch that wasn't there when i viewed the car but i couldn't prove anything so but stuffec with that. Also they must have had the cheapest valet ever done on the car and the air filter was almost black which i changed myself - along with the oild as i didn't trust them at all.

However, just had cambelt done at Iain Grieve in Falkirk and they were much better, even washing the car for me. Had her for 4 hours, changed the belt and with SIDC discount charged £327 and some pence.

Not all dealers are the same.

5t.
Old 26 July 2007, 06:27 PM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

Seat did the same thing with Yellow Ibiza Cupra R's, exact same story as the OP, except before my brother bought the car we managed to spot the tell tale signs. The car was used as part of the Seat experience at Rockingham. The dealer just pled ignorance, pretty under handed if you ask me.
Old 26 July 2007, 08:07 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to laugh, but thats the funniest story ive heard in ages.
What muppets in their right mind are selling ex amateur track cars as fleet cars.
ROFL
Glad you got it swapped I bet it was as sloppy as the preverbial.
Old 26 July 2007, 08:17 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide
I wasn't happy with the state of my car from S&S Subaru in Ayr, the windscreen had a scratch that wasn't there when i viewed the car but i couldn't prove anything so but stuffec with that. Also they must have had the cheapest valet ever done on the car and the air filter was almost black which i changed myself - along with the oild as i didn't trust them at all.

However, just had cambelt done at Iain Grieve in Falkirk and they were much better, even washing the car for me. Had her for 4 hours, changed the belt and with SIDC discount charged £327 and some pence.

Not all dealers are the same.

5t.
s+s services getting a bad report theres a shocker.....not.i bought my 99 sti type R from them,approved used cars with warranty etc later found out car was accident damaged wasnt mentioned at the time of sale,was hpi clear and the salesman keiron had put 10 quid of normal 95 ron unleaded in the car for me,service history was lost when it was last with them for a service so from now on im using greers,not a dealer but an independant who knows his stuff
Old 26 July 2007, 08:42 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm really gald to hear you got it sorted but do you think threatening them with a publication makes any difference??

I have customers threatening to call all sorts of people from the BBC to the Director of the company, unless I resolve their issues. I couldn't careless as I'm an employee and will only do what I can.

Again mate, excellent story and I'm well impressed with the out come.
Old 26 July 2007, 09:52 PM
simpsons !
Scooby Regular

Location: A Yorkshireman living in Lancashire, Recruiting for the War of the Roses part deux!

There was an ex-track car on the suburu website as an approved Subaru about 6 weeks ago, The only reason i know this is i spoke to my local dealer about this car saying i was interested in buying it because of the price and mileage, But credit to him he refused to sell it to me when he looked into it, because of the cars history.
And told me all about the cars past an ex-Subaru STi track car.
Not all Stealers are the same.

Simpsons
Old 26 July 2007, 09:56 PM
carnivorous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
I'm really gald to hear you got it sorted but do you think threatening them with a publication makes any difference??

I have customers threatening to call all sorts of people from the BBC to the Director of the company, unless I resolve their issues. I couldn't careless as I'm an employee and will only do what I can.

Again mate, excellent story and I'm well impressed with the out come.

I am sure but this was the owner of the dealership and I am actually a motoring journalist with connections and a reputation in the industry. If needs be I would have got some of my editors to phone him and ask him for a response, that would have lit the fire under his ****. Thankfully, this wasn't necessary.

There are good dealers out there, they're just few and far between. I could tell you another story about an imported Supra I bought a while back...but it's far too embarrassing! LOL.
Old 26 July 2007, 10:15 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Wow, an attitude like that is why customer service in the UK stinks! Customer care should be your nr 1 priority ... it's been said that it costs 10 x more to obtain a new customer than it does to keep an existing one. Your attitude is costing your company money ...

TX.

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
I couldn't careless as I'm an employee and will only do what I can.
Old 26 July 2007, 10:33 PM
Looie
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Location: It's not a Scoob, or even a Skoda, but 200bhp is on the horizon..

Phew, that was a near miss for me, as I was actually looking at those cars on their web site a few weeks ago, thinking that if I couldn't find a decent STI I might get one of those low mileage jobs and mod it fairly heavily....... As it turned out I found the car I wanted, so never went to them to even look at anything....

Scary to think that I might have bought one - thank god I didn't!

Will warn a mate of mine who was thinking of looking at their cars when his warranty runs out next month.........
Old 26 July 2007, 10:58 PM
tim's wrx
Scooby Regular

checked their site and see one of these WRXs with the Avon ZZ tyres !!

View Detailed Images
Old 26 July 2007, 11:01 PM
carnivorous
Scooby Regular

Default yup

uh huh. that's one of the cars right there. avoid! ;-)
Old 27 July 2007, 09:34 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by exvaux
s+s services getting a bad report theres a shocker.....not.i bought my 99 sti type R from them,approved used cars with warranty etc later found out car was accident damaged wasnt mentioned at the time of sale,was hpi clear and the salesman keiron had put 10 quid of normal 95 ron unleaded in the car for me,service history was lost when it was last with them for a service so from now on im using greers,not a dealer but an independant who knows his stuff
Interesting!

I specifcally asked about accident damage etc and was told it was straight and HPI clear so i better not discover different as i didn't bother doing my own check!

The service book wasn't with the car, the previous owner (who bought the car new from them and swapped it for another apparently) had never got it. They did have all the services on file though and sent me a replacement book.

What bothered me was the service dodge although i was also given the car with the previous owner's private plate on which was transfered off a few weeks later. Iain Grieve said that was slightly dodgy ground too.

Thinking about it there wasn't a mark on the car when i got it, not a single scratch (apart from the one they put on the screen but it isn't in MOT range). Now it is covered in stone chips and dents so either someone was exceptional for 3 years or it had some work done...

anyone know KSB 202 as the car was back then? Seen it in a hedge?

5t.
Old 27 July 2007, 12:12 PM
Kit B
Scooby Regular

Superb post.
Delighted it worked out for you.
Old 27 July 2007, 05:31 PM
woody2846
Scooby Newbie

To all that have read the above thread. I can understand the anger involved in this vehicle. I can assure you, as I am the salesperson that had sold the car-I had been with the dealership only a matter of days when BL55 was purchased from us whilst this in itself is no excuse. I can only sell a car on the information provided from above my head at that time my sales manager (who has now left MKG3000). Upon taking this situation up with both directors of MKG3000 they said they would have been totally open about the cars-they were the cheapest in the network for a reason each enquiry since then I have been totally open about the cars history- Myself and MKG are not in the habit of misleading customers.
This is in no way a reflection of the services that MKG3000 now provide. I can say this confidently as I am now running the Subaru side of the business.
I am deeply apologetic for the distress that this has caused to the other party involved. I can assure you that we acted very quickly in rectifying the situation once we knew we had one this was nothing to do with being threatened with legal action but the simple fact that we strive to keep our customers happy.
The V5 to my knowledge had been sent back--upon receiving a call from the customer I immediately had checked file and it hadn’t-by this time a duplicate V5 had been ordered.
On the few occasions that I have spoken to the customer he has always said how happy he was with the outcome.
If anyone would like to discuss further then please do not hesitate to contact myself Craig Woodhouse 0208 894 7504

Quick Reply: BEWARE THE DEALERS! BL55 reg scooby nightmare.