South england Engine builders

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2023, 12:42 AM
Bean1984
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default South england Engine builders

Evening all

Anyone able too suggest any engine builders from tge south of the country that are willing too take work on rather then just saying yea we will do the work and when you email them, call them etc you then get the usual answer of sorry we are too busy or just ignore you etc. Quite happy to travel one end of the country to the other too get this sorted atm if I'm honest

Cheers
Old 24 October 2023, 07:04 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

one of my friends may be able to help you with this as he is currently building engines for various companies ,,, send me a pm of what your after and il message him and get a price for you
Old 24 October 2023, 07:06 AM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts

My car is with flat4performance, they will remove my engine for Andy Williams.Price is better than others( or at lest i know what will/should be fitted) and flat4 will powdercoat my u frame and sway bars ,fit oil cooler and top mount intercooler when removing front mount etc.
2nd for me fbtuning - best advices from them all,forgot about him when looking ,not sure about price.
Asked few more
Andy Winter ,he uses ex prodrive mechanic- Bob Rawle map for him. Approx 3 weeks time in and out. More expensive than flat4 (probably domino46 above has him in mind, is he the one who paint RA You sold cheaper due to paint imperfections?) I wont use him again after his new sills rusted within 4 months,terrible painting job on all he touched.He told me he used 2 painters now 1 but so what. I did better job from a can when i did my bootlid-under rear spoiler rust. Do not wish to have excuses on new engine etc. When i told him i could buy 2.35 Paul Finch build engine he said to expensive than asking more money when i asked few months later.

Asperformance is another option but he needs engine out.
Tdr good,they can build and map plus fit what You need but more expensive than flat4.
Chevron to busy- will use them for geo setup and owens twinscroll,link ecu fitment and map by Bob Rawle.
Slowboy sent me to rcm-im not willing to pay their tax.
Enginetuner-not for me ,give me just price but no engine spec for parts fitted ,read and heard few stories.
Scoobyclinic- price and their pot hole rally on customer car pushed me out.
Did not ask Richard Henry motorsport.
Overall normal build is 4.5k with forged pistons,11mm studs.
Most of them ask 8k but no engine/parts spec and some charge crazy money for engine in/out.
My 2.1 build will be closer to 7.4k pounds added supertech valves and springs to prevent valve float on higher revs,14mm studs could go with more boost than with 11mm,rcm alloy pulleys-oem are mixed with plastic and rcm o ringed thermal spacer kit-gives more space when You fit 3" inlet turbo.
Yes 8.3k if I will go with rcm rods -did not choose them for my build.

Last edited by JdmSti2006; 24 October 2023 at 08:05 AM.
Old 24 October 2023, 07:26 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

Options I know of are , subaru4u , Tdr racing , or FB tuning , my spare engine is currently at subaru4u , im getting a pre engine failure , re build done as it’s a 2.5 lump with 90 k miles on the clock 👍
Old 24 October 2023, 08:04 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by JdmSti2006
My car is with flat4performance, they will remove my engine for Andy Williams.Price is better than others and flat4 will powdercoat my u frame and sway bars ,fit oil cooler and top mount intercooler when removing front mount etc.
I asked few ,could go with Andy Winter ,he uses ex prodrive mechanic- Bob Rawle map for him. Approx 3 weeks time in and out. More expensive than flat4 ,probably domino46 above has him in mind, I wont use him again after his new sills rusted within 4 months,terrible painting job on all he touched. Do not wish to have excuses on new engine etc.
He told me he used 2 painters now 1 but so what.
Asperformance is another option but he needs engine out.
Tdr good,they can build and map plus fit what You need but more expensive than flat4.
Chevron to busy- will use them for geo setup and owens twinscroll,link ecu fitment and map by Bob Rawle.
Slowboy sent me to rcm-im not willing to pay their tax.
Enginetuner-not for me ,just price but no engine spec for parts fitted ,read and heard few stories.
Scoobyclinic- price and their pot hole rally on customer car pushed me out.
Did not ask Richard Henry motorsport.

who are you on about ?? think you need to get a grip on reality mate

the person I am recommending builds WRC cars for a living and unless you own a £150K+ WRC subaru I don't think you would of had any work done by him and iv seen your car so I know you don't lol ,he doesn't restore cars or do normal repairs ,, he has built loads of engines for me over the years and all have been great ,, only reason I can get work done by him is im kind of family ,,, no its not Andy winter and yes I did see your car on the ramps when it was at A T autos when it was there and im not surprising it rusted as when you only do a cheap job its bound to happen isn't it ,, your whole car is rusted so im not sure how just doing just the sills is going to sort that out but that's all you wanted done so what did you expect ,,, I had my type R done there over 2 years ago now and had sills replaced and they have been fine but I did a proper job and treated everything when it was off ,

im not going to get into a slagging match with you but just for the record ,, Andy isn't anything to do with me other than me being a happy customer after he restored 2 of my Subarus and both have been great ,,, apart from that I pretty much do all my own work and have used many of the company's you have recommend over the last 20+ years building my own Subarus ,, how many of them have you actually used yourself for work ???

Last edited by domino46; 24 October 2023 at 08:06 AM.
Old 24 October 2023, 08:28 AM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by domino46
who are you on about ?? think you need to get a grip on reality mate

the person I am recommending builds WRC cars for a living and unless you own a £150K+ WRC subaru I don't think you would of had any work done by him and iv seen your car so I know you don't lol ,he doesn't restore cars or do normal repairs ,, he has built loads of engines for me over the years and all have been great ,, only reason I can get work done by him is im kind of family ,,, no its not Andy winter and yes I did see your car on the ramps when it was at A T autos when it was there and im not surprising it rusted as when you only do a cheap job its bound to happen isn't it ,, your whole car is rusted so im not sure how just doing just the sills is going to sort that out but that's all you wanted done so what did you expect ,,, I had my type R done there over 2 years ago now and had sills replaced and they have been fine but I did a proper job and treated everything when it was off ,

im not going to get into a slagging match with you but just for the record ,, Andy isn't anything to do with me other than me being a happy customer after he restored 2 of my Subarus and both have been great ,,, apart from that I pretty much do all my own work and have used many of the company's you have recommend over the last 20+ years building my own Subarus ,, how many of them have you actually used yourself for work ???
Same who use Andy Winter, if You can touch him direct good for You. Yes was rusty like Your type r or ra etc (now replaced subframes links ,etc will need some full treatment sooner than later ) but there was no need for cutting sills just on the back. It was not my choice as for a price of his cuts out preparation i could buy new sills. Paint should be the same on new full sills or cuts to prevent rust.
And job has to be done now than later on those parts as he was booked 2 years in forward.
Plan is to take all bits and move them to typeR shell with wrc body there is no point to do whole car at a moment but it could change and I will do it.
It was not cheap ,cheap was a paint he did ,cheap like on Your Ra You sold with a lost🤣
You are talking bollocks ,whats a point to give him a car for rust treatment on those parts and see rust comeback within 4 months. Could do all sills with same result. If You paint just fuel flap it has to be poor job because You did not paint all car?
Or for example painting whole bumper,oversprayed on corners,painting black bits white etc. I paid him good for normal painting job ,have another painter in Northampton he did top job and will recommend him.
Poor paint is poor, does not matter part was rusty or new,should be same result imo.
He did poor job becasue I did not do all car,nonsens.
How You can judge how rich am I looking on my car rust?
Seen where You live that's some rat's living area does it mean You are poor?
Nothing smarter than preparing cars and selling them loosing money👌
Instead of building cars You should do Your teeth- I guess no money-Yes seen them on Youtube ,thats what i call poor job to.
My brakes costs more than Your rusty Ra before rust preparation.
And I drive my car all Year instead of looking at it that's why it is rusty and I spent more money on fuel than You ever will have in Your pocket.
And i bought Your hatch wheel ,i was after airbag,should i post how You wrapped it in house using fake alcantara🤣 and those poor stiching job?
I owe scoobs for 14 years, use them for work,each year EU trip sometimes twice a year that's why I have winter set of wheels and rust🫡
Yes i can do all i need on them apart engine build-could do it but can not do machining etc. Could even properly paint them but have no space for it at a minute.

Im not impressed with unknown Prodrive mechanic,engine is old tech,simple to build.
Best to look for one where You can comeback ,without poor excuses and on their side warriors if anything goes wrong.
The one i wish to go is Paul Finch but retired now.
Your airbag below with Damd wheel

Last edited by JdmSti2006; 24 October 2023 at 10:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 24 October 2023, 09:03 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

AS Performance can & do remove then re-fit engines for rebuild but certainly quicker turnaround if it arrives on a pallet
also undertake engineering / machine work / parts supply for various others as required..........
The following users liked this post:

Trending Topics

Old 24 October 2023, 09:08 AM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

Down that way in the south TDR (Thwaites Development Racing) would be my first choice, they are based in Warwick .You also have Engine Tuner on the south coast, in the north you have AS Performance.

Last edited by The Joshua Tree; 24 October 2023 at 09:10 AM.
Old 28 October 2023, 10:03 AM
Matty81
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

neil case @slowboy racing by brands hatch in kent is very very good