Upgrading gearbox from TY752 to TY754

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2023, 09:19 AM
Slinkyjynx
Scooby Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Upgrading gearbox from TY752 to TY754

Hi all,

Apologies for asking a question that's been asked to death - I've trawled through the posts but can't find a solid answer, so I'm hoping someone here can help!

Firstly, my Turbo 2000's gearbox has gone pop! It started with a loud metallic clunking when engaging third gear (all other gears were ok) then one day it went bang when I was in third, and now all gears feel compromised.

Managed to roll the car back to my place which was lucky, but now I reckon I need a new box.

The unit I've got is a TY752VN6AA which is a UKDM gearbox, and I've read all sorts of things about them being weak and not up to scratch etc etc, but also that the TY754... series is much better.

I've also read from some people it's a direct swap, and for others that the head needs drilling, axles need replacing and all sorts of things, so I'd really like to know for sure what the case is!

I've spoken to a local garage who are keen to replace the unit, but I'd really like to know what I'd be getting myself in for if I got a TY754 unit (with the same ratio) and gave that to them to fit.

Cheers in advance all! Oh, and if anyone has a box for sale please let me know!
Old 06 September 2023, 02:46 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Slinkyjynx
Hi all,

Apologies for asking a question that's been asked to death - I've trawled through the posts but can't find a solid answer, so I'm hoping someone here can help!

Firstly, my Turbo 2000's gearbox has gone pop! It started with a loud metallic clunking when engaging third gear (all other gears were ok) then one day it went bang when I was in third, and now all gears feel compromised.

Managed to roll the car back to my place which was lucky, but now I reckon I need a new box.

The unit I've got is a TY752VN6AA which is a UKDM gearbox, and I've read all sorts of things about them being weak and not up to scratch etc etc, but also that the TY754... series is much better.

I've also read from some people it's a direct swap, and for others that the head needs drilling, axles need replacing and all sorts of things, so I'd really like to know for sure what the case is!

I've spoken to a local garage who are keen to replace the unit, but I'd really like to know what I'd be getting myself in for if I got a TY754 unit (with the same ratio) and gave that to them to fit.

Cheers in advance all! Oh, and if anyone has a box for sale please let me know!
Straight swap basically with any of these.

Old 06 September 2023, 03:18 PM
Slinkyjynx
Scooby Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cheers for that, I know they all have the same gear ratio but I've heard the mounting to the engine is different and not like for like, is that true?
Old 06 September 2023, 04:01 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Slinkyjynx
Cheers for that, I know they all have the same gear ratio but I've heard the mounting to the engine is different and not like for like, is that true?
Yes but they still fit one is 4 bolt fitting and the latter is 8 bolt but they still fit.