'06 2.0 R & '05 WRX Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 08 August 2023, 10:56 AM
Daiyus
Scooby Newbie
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '06 2.0 R & '05 WRX Advice Please

Morning all. I've been running a N/A 2.0 R hawkeye wagon for the last two years or so. I've recently picked up a blobeye 2.0 WRX wagon, and am absolutely loving the upgrade. As always the mind starts ticking over what can/can't be done in future, and while I have no immediate plans to start messing with the WRX as it's almost bone stock, I'm wondering if I should be selling the 2.0 R, or keeping it for parts? Would anything be compatible or useful in the future, like the AVCS heads? Or would I be better off selling the 2.0 R now, and grabbing any other parts I want for the WRX later?

Apologies if this is rookie stuff, but this is my first real performance car, so want to do things right and take my time to learn.
Old 08 August 2023, 12:03 PM
Flat4x4-again
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I would sell the 2.0R because you are likely to upgrade the WRX (better, aftermarket or OE+ parts) which won't come from the 2.0.
Tidy it up and try an advert while prices are still favourable. Beat having two lots of insurance and tax if you aren't just going to mothball it.
Old 11 August 2023, 11:27 AM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

They're different enough cars that none of the meaningful parts will carry over unfortunately. Best thing to do is sell it and put the money aside until you need it for the WRX. They're generally pretty reliable cars but they're getting on a bit so it's likely that things like bushes will need done, and possibly a clutch etc depending on how it's been driven (mine is still original at 115k miles and running about 290/290). And when you do inevitably need to replace anything you'll probably want to use the opportunity to upgrade anyway. I'd say just enjoy it and see how it goes. If it's still got stock brakes on it then have a look to see what the pads are. If you're driving it hard then the stock brakes will likely feel lacklustre so upgraded pads are worth looking at. My personal fast road favourite at the moment is the Brembo HP2000 which are on a par for the classic DS2500 when hot but are much sharper and have better feedback at low speed than the Ferodo which is good for a daily! If you also decide to go down the route of more power then it's fairly cheap to get up to the 280-290 mark without over stressing anything or needing any fancy parts.
Old 11 August 2023, 01:09 PM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts

sell both ,buy sti
Old 11 August 2023, 01:20 PM
Daiyus
Scooby Newbie
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm now in the process of selling the 2.0 R, and still enjoying the WRX It's up on Facebook now, but is it worth putting in the buy/sell section here? I'll be honest, it still has some hesitation quirks to be worked out so I'm listing it as a project car at a lower price. I'd rather be putting the money I would use on the 2.0 R into the WRX now.

As for getting an STI, I totally would! But I need a wagon as it's a "practical" daily. I've got my motorcycle as my less practical toy (that I still daily as long as the weather/situation allows ).

Last edited by Daiyus; 11 August 2023 at 01:23 PM.