1998 Impreza turbo fuel pipe

Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2023, 11:27 AM
JohnCunninghamx
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Impreza turbo fuel pipe

Hi All,

I have a 1998 Impreza turbo which I've had from new and I'm tarting it up a bit to keep it stored.

My first problem is that it has a fuel leak from the metal pipe going down the outside of the tank over the passenger wheel well which has rotted (it's the only one which has) and I think it's a fairly common problem. It's the one furthest forwward of the three. However after laying underneath it and looking at what needs to be undone to get to it, I am thinking I could run a rubber pipe from the tank to the existing pipe to completely replace the metal pipe and make it much easier. It will be tricky to route it under the back floor across the tank - but I might get lucky.

First - does anyone have a reason why I shouldn't try this ?.

Second: The pipe at the tank has '8504' written on it but I can't find what size that is. Can somebody please tell me what size of pipe I need and also what type would be best ?. I presume I should use braided.

Any other tips for fixing this would be gratefully appreciated. I can't move it until this is fixed ...

Thanks in advance,

JohnC
Old 08 July 2023, 01:03 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 273 Likes on 236 Posts

If it was me , and I know it sounds like hard work , I would replace a metal pipe with a metal pipe , metal can still be damaged but not as easily as rubber , a sharp stone a bit of debris etc on the road and you have a big issue , size wise I’m not sure , copper nickel pipe lasts well 👍😁
Old 08 July 2023, 02:11 PM
JohnCunninghamx
Scooby Newbie

I hear you vxr and I really would like to do it properly - but it's a hellish job to get the tank down and I'm not sure I wouldn't do more damage than I'm fixing considering how rusty some of the bolts look.

The pipe would be mostly between the tank and the car floor and it already has rubber pipe where it comes out so I wouldn't be increasing the risk as such.As you say, I suspect chafing through vibration on top of the tank might be a problem - but I think braided pipe would last longer than the car ever will considering the use it's going to get.

I think I'll see if I can get some string through under the floor to pull a pipe through with. That might be a show-stopper before I even start.

I think the original pipe is 7.5mm ID but most of the stuff on ebay is 8mm. Does anyone know if it's fine to use 8mm pipe ?. It appears to be the fuel return line which I've read is not particularly high pressure.
Old 08 July 2023, 04:29 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 273 Likes on 236 Posts

On my monaro , same sort of issue , it runs under the subframe, and it’s quite a job to take it down not without some risk of breaking things , it was done in metal with joints put in well out of the way , if metal is a no go then you may have to go braided and possible armour it a bit with another pipe , im a bit ocd with some things so it would niggle me not being in metal but no reason it won’t work .5 of a mill is nothing , the original pipe coming out of my tank and going to engine bay was flexible the metal pipe was pushed into these sections of pipe the double jubilee clipped 👍
The following users liked this post:
Old 08 July 2023, 04:44 PM
JohnCunninghamx
Scooby Newbie

Just been for another look and managed to use some wire to get some round mains cable under the floor from the 8mm tank connector to the point the metal pipe joins the external rubber pipe - so I've ordered some 7.5mm braided tube, an 8mm barbed metal connector and some stainless jubilee pipe clamps.

I'm quietly confident it will work - unless I get a compelling reason not to do it. Hopefully I will be able to attach the new pipe to existing pipes with cable ties to make a neat job and prevent it vibrating against anything sharp.