Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

CLASSIC SCOOB………..WHAT DO I DO?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2023, 05:03 PM
Cspeedie
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Default CLASSIC SCOOB………..WHAT DO I DO?!?!?

Hello Troops,
i’ll try to keep this shortish,but there is a story here!
I have had my blobeye spec c for 3:5 years,absolutely love it,a completely relentless car that is brutal to drive and running 380 bhp,semi slicks,coilovers,goes to Isle of Man with me every year and definately not for sale! 15 months ago i also bought a Clio Rs200 ,62 plate with 50,000 miles ,one owner car,a few goodies on it but my narrow minded self was thinking of it being a daily with a little blast here and there as “it won’t be fast enough” i thought. The Clio is an absolutely tremendous car,sounds fantastic with the Akrapovic on it,shift light,7,500 rpm red line and so useable. Insurance is peanuts,mpg is much better than any scoob,no shock there, and somehow,i can’t work out how but the roads i have a blast on,the Clio is maybe only 10-15 mph slower than the spec c,but has more than enough for publics roads . I have made a complete fool of some so-called drivers in cars with over twice the power of the little French pocket rocket. Anyway,i got greedy last year and also bought a classic WRX import,but not a standard one. This one was having a forged 2:5 cc engine fitted that had been built around 10 years ago from a friend ,had only done 3 races in one car and only a few thousand miles in another car. It had been off the road for 10 years and i agreed to buy it from someone only 2 miles from my work,Unit 8 performance,formally known as RA Motorsports. His business is mainly Subarus and he has built many a car from time attack cars,GT 86’s featured in magazines ,700 bhp Imprezas etc. His colleague did a fresh paint job ,not a complete shell job but every panel painted and before i collected the car,he went over it completely and fitted new battery,fuel pump,brakes front/rear. I got it in October 2022 and after having the wheels refurbished stored it straight away as i don’t run these cars in the rain and certainly don’t run them for 6 months over the winter. Every bloody night i had ideas for the classic as it sounds awesome and pulls like a bloody train with 3 switchable maps. Low boost is around 270bhp,mid boost around 320 and high is around 370. The limiting factor with power is the wrx box ,the engine is capable of over 500 bhp but not the gearbox! It came out in March on a dry day to go back to them to have a new clutch fitted as i hated the one that was in it.
Other jobs i had done were ,new flywheel,new spare key,get central locking to work,get folding mirrors to work,fit new front grille,ordered new number plates,fit the front off to the passenger side,etc etc. I also had the inside of the boot floor painted,inside of tailgate painted,nice new sheet of plywood cut to go over the spare wheel well so it all looked nicer. I then insured it and went on a fantastic 200 mile run with 20 other guys that are in a car club up here in Scotland,Lotus,Porsche,Focus RS owners,all sorts of guys and plenty of them mentioned how brilliant the old classic sounded and praised it.
However,i have always known that i can’t have three cars insured,taxed,on the road so it was always on my mind that i would probably sell the little Frenchie and keep both scoobs. Anyone that knows me would have put their house on it that both Imprezas would get kept but i just can’t really gel with the classic like i have with the other two cars. I know the gearbox is old in the WRX,and i know it is not a spec c,it has to be driven with sympathy . I had a long wait to get it,have put a lot of time ,thoughts and some money into it but at the moment i don’t absolutely love it the other two. I do love how it looks,i do love how it sounds and goes but i’m just not sure what it is. Maybe i need to drive it more and i can easily change the gearbox but i’m unsure what to do………put more money and time into it and maybe feel the same way or simply sell it but maybe regret my actions in a year or two!!!!!! I know it is a good problem to have and performance cars are the most favourite hobbie/ obsesion of mine but i don’t want to make a mistake either way. So,this has obviously turned into a loooooooong post not short and maybe it is putting out the feelers to see if there would be a buyer for it if i did sell it,probably the classic i mean. I really don’t know what the right move is for me! I’ll try to upload some pics.😀🏎

My favourite of all,the unstoppable Spec C.

The brilliant little Frenchie

Two magnificent cars……………in my opinion!

The car i think that looks great,sounds great and pulls like a train but just can’t gel with 100%!!!

Ps,i thought members on here might like my slogun on the classic number plate.👍🏻

Last edited by Cspeedie; 21 May 2023 at 05:05 PM.
Old 21 May 2023, 05:34 PM
4evascoob
Scooby Regular

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Both lovely cars !! , not sure on the white French thing ?? Lol , I’m sure someone would buy any of them off you at the right price. …… my advise would be don’t sell them ! I had a classic , then a 04 sti ( blob) now a 2016 sti. I made good money on the classic but sold the blob for nothing really. Really wish I had both in storage !
Old 21 May 2023, 05:50 PM
Smithys STI
Scooby Regular

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

I know exactly how you feel ,i also have 3 cars!
I have my Forester STI, a Golf R estate and an Evo 6 and i really cant gel with the evo!
I dont think I will sell it tho as its a good investment.
Old 21 May 2023, 08:18 PM
Cspeedie
Scooby Regular

I understand you not being sure of the little Frenchie! I was exactly the same and before i bought it,i wouldn’t even look twice at them. I kept driving it a few times a week and realised it got better and better every time. You might laugh at this one but 135mph in it recently and it has another 5 or so left……..it’s a bloody Clio,albeit an RS model !!! It is such an involving little car and gives so much feedback,it actually makes you smile when you push it,and my wife loves it! She loves the white classic as well! I’ve driven a few Golf R’s,S3’s etc,stage two ones and although i know they go well and are well put together etc,,they all bore me to death. I only seem to get a buzz from the older stuff ,from being more involved. You might chuckle again but i drive a Citroen C1,68 bhp as my daily and my wife drives my company Peugeot 208 so we have 5 and there is only me and her! To be honest,i would have more but it is alot of work keeping them all ticking over,brakes free,M O T’s at different times etc. I don’t have to sell one but i can see me advertising the classic either this year or next. There is surface rust underneath which i would rub down / treat but it is solid. I’d definately either get the gearbox replaced or rebuilt but it sounds like alot of time spent for me on something i’ll probably sell and one thing i don’t have is much spare time! Who knows,someone on here might want the classic? However i have been going back and forth in my own head for 6 months about selling one of them .
Old 21 May 2023, 10:01 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Lol I'd have the classic in a second, but I feel it might be out of my price range
Old 21 May 2023, 10:10 PM
Cspeedie
Scooby Regular

😀
Not sure what the value is……i suppose whatever the buyer and seller thinks is right. I know lots of people prefer a totally standard factory look car . However,my one looks standard ,super clean,i know the plus points are certainly the engine ,power,soundtrack it produces and the fresh paint job. I know there are not loads of them left and definately not loads for sale but i don’t know if i’ll ever decide what the right move is…………stick or twist!!
Over the two weeks i had it on the road,it certainly got some interest.
Old 22 May 2023, 02:08 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

I've seen a few nice classics being broke for parts now, not sure why, normally low mileage and clean. So if you do sell it make sure it doesn't go too a breaker.

Found a few nice examples, one was down south in white Ł5,000 and another up north in red Ł5,000. White had been modified and red standard one owner since imported.

I'm not fussy, just won't something that's not rotten, had enough with rust

Originally Posted by Cspeedie
😀
Not sure what the value is……i suppose whatever the buyer and seller thinks is right. I know lots of people prefer a totally standard factory look car . However,my one looks standard ,super clean,i know the plus points are certainly the engine ,power,soundtrack it produces and the fresh paint job. I know there are not loads of them left and definately not loads for sale but i don’t know if i’ll ever decide what the right move is…………stick or twist!!
Over the two weeks i had it on the road,it certainly got some interest.
Old 22 May 2023, 05:28 AM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

Received 198 Likes on 173 Posts

for me its an interior,so ugly
sell it to breaker