Subaru sti 2017 rear reversing camera

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2023, 07:39 PM
bunsofsteeeel
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Subaru sti 2017 rear reversing camera

Hi all,
Does anyone know if the original head unit supports a rear reversing camera on a 2017 sti?

thanks
Old 27 April 2023, 09:15 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 753 Likes on 624 Posts

In the MY15 "WRX/WRXSTI" w/s manual it lists "rearview camera" wiring for LHD and RHD models

In both the MY16 and MY17 "WRX/WRXSTI/LEVORG" w/s manuals it lists "rearview camera" wiring for both LHD/RHD WRX and LEVORG with either 6.2" or 7" display screen,
but NOT the WRXSTI.

The following users liked this post:
Old 27 April 2023, 11:12 PM
bunsofsteeeel
Scooby Regular

Thanks don I will probably upgrade it at some point then it’s just that the head unit is quite nice on the later of the sti’s not like the earlier ones
Old 05 May 2023, 06:26 PM
Pete N
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bunsofsteeeel
Hi all,
Does anyone know if the original head unit supports a rear reversing camera on a 2017 sti?

thanks
Yes! I installed one on my 2017 STI about 5 years ago.. I got an OEM camera but as there's no wires for a rear-view camera in the harnesses I had to run a wire from the bootlid to behind the dash. The main problem was finding the right 5-pin connector (for the back of the head unit). I ended up sourcing one from the US as I couldn't find anywhere else at the time. I've found some notes I made at the time, connector is Toyota P/N 90980-12365 and googling now I find several places to get them from. Or, I've just had a bit of a search and info from another forum suggests it's probably* a sumimoto 6098-3810 which are cheap from somewhere like auto-click. If you go this route, when you plug it in the camera just works and you get all the distance lines etc overlaid on the display. There are some set-up options in one of the hidden menus (Service menus etc on the head unit). I think you can also plug a camera into the small MFD at the top of the dash, but why would you when you've got the large screen on the main head unit?

For the backup camera, pins for the 5-pin connector are:

1 - Camera Ground
2 - Camera 6V +
3 - Camera Video +
4 - Camera Video –
5 - NC

* please do your own research to verify! But they're cheap so you could just try and see?

Last edited by Pete N; 05 May 2023 at 06:31 PM. Reason: edit to add info on the connector
Old 05 May 2023, 08:39 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 753 Likes on 624 Posts

Following above reply, find attached pdfs for "relevant" wiring diagrams as relating to WRX.(those that use a 5 pin connector at the Audio/sat nav unit)
Connector info mentioned above is (i146) on the diagrams (5 pin, 4 used).
Rear view camera for STI saloon is "camera assembly - rear view" p/n 86267VA510

Last edited by Don Clark; 05 May 2023 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05 May 2023, 10:59 PM
bunsofsteeeel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pete N
Yes! I installed one on my 2017 STI about 5 years ago.. I got an OEM camera but as there's no wires for a rear-view camera in the harnesses I had to run a wire from the bootlid to behind the dash. The main problem was finding the right 5-pin connector (for the back of the head unit). I ended up sourcing one from the US as I couldn't find anywhere else at the time. I've found some notes I made at the time, connector is Toyota P/N 90980-12365 and googling now I find several places to get them from. Or, I've just had a bit of a search and info from another forum suggests it's probably* a sumimoto 6098-3810 which are cheap from somewhere like auto-click. If you go this route, when you plug it in the camera just works and you get all the distance lines etc overlaid on the display. There are some set-up options in one of the hidden menus (Service menus etc on the head unit). I think you can also plug a camera into the small MFD at the top of the dash, but why would you when you've got the large screen on the main head unit?

For the backup camera, pins for the 5-pin connector are:

1 - Camera Ground
2 - Camera 6V +
3 - Camera Video +
4 - Camera Video –
5 - NC

* please do your own research to verify! But they're cheap so you could just try and see?
thanks very much for the info Pete! I was hoping someone would of done this and you definitely need a camera on these sti’s I think, I will do some more research and see if I can get this fitted.

thanks
jack
Old 05 May 2023, 11:01 PM
bunsofsteeeel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Don Clark
Following above reply, find attached pdfs for "relevant" wiring diagrams as relating to WRX.(those that use a 5 pin connector at the Audio/sat nav unit)
Connector info mentioned above is (i146) on the diagrams (5 pin, 4 used).
Rear view camera for STI saloon is "camera assembly - rear view" p/n 86267VA510

thank you as always don I will have a good read