Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dump Valve Blank - No Noise. Leak or wrong expectation?

Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2023, 10:40 AM
ImprezAL
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Dump Valve Blank - No Noise. Leak or wrong expectation?

Hey all

Replaced a leaking Forge VTA (10+ years old, bad state) with a DV blanking plate until I can obtain an OEM recirc in good nick. I don't get anything like the noise I'd expect.
I'm not particularly bothered about the noise but I wondered if the lack of flutter/chirp/whatever might indicate a leak somewhere? I have blanked off the DV vacuum hose with a bolt/hose clamp tight as hell and the return hose remains blanked from previous VTA.

The DV blank is sandwiched between a turbosmart gasket and said leaky forge (there just for mounting pressure, now totally disconnected from anything). It seem to be tight enough, I went as far as I was comfortable with frankly.

For reference I am running the standard airbox arrangement and no cats at all.
I was expecting it to be similar to this

Running about 17psi @ peak, standard TD04. I had it smoke tested previously and found a leaky intercooler (end cap), replaced intercooler with one that had passed pressure testing so known to be OK. It seems to be holding boost fine and running absolutely normally, just no chirping. It did dump fine with the VTA, just leaked like buggery part throttle. Maybe I should man up and tighten the DV bolts more, but there really is signifcant resistance already. More than I would like.

You'd expect at least a single pigeon , right? Opinions please?

Thank you
Al
Old 17 April 2023, 12:31 PM
Danjo
Scooby Regular

Received 226 Likes on 128 Posts

Are you still on the standard air box? If you are, you won’t hear anything as that will muffle the sound.
Old 17 April 2023, 12:39 PM
ImprezAL
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am indeed on standard airbox - thank you for the feedback, I guess the scottish guys in the YT vid have drilled the airbox or removed a resonator or something. As long as I shouldn't be worried, I won't be!

I'll try and source a good newage OEM recirc.

Thanks again
Al
Old 17 April 2023, 05:11 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

I'd a GFB valve on my blobeye sti , full decat and K&N induction kit. It could be manually adjusted to vent to air or recirc and blanked off. I tried it blanked off to see but was underwhelmed with the volume of chirping. It did make a noise, just not as loud as I has imagined. Maybe it was louder outside.
Or maybe I was expecting too much.
It may not have been totally blanked off but my understanding of it is that it was.
Old 17 April 2023, 10:22 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

Maybe I’m missing the point , but Is it not just stalling the turbo as the air has got no where to go , plus if mapped for an atmosphere dump valve and it’s changed to recirc then not good for the car or the map , if you want noise even with a standard recirc dump valve then start cutting away at the snorkel in the drivers wing , just do a bit at a time as the noise goes up quite a bit 👍