Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2023, 02:44 PM
blades1972
Scooby Newbie
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New East Mids Member

Hi All

I should be picking up a 2010 WRX STI hatchback (with PPP) next weekend 65k on the clock with full main dealer history and has just has the waterpump/timing belt done. The car looks genuine and I think the only thing I need to do is put a decent set of boots on it and maybe swap the stereo for an Apple car play as I have a tendency for going around the country lanes in Lincolnshire and getting lost.

I have a couple of questions if anyone can help it would be really appreciated

1 It currently doesn't have fog lamps just grilles in the bumper is this correct ? (pic attached)
2 While everything looks original there is a stainless steel pipe on the inlet instead of the plastic ones I have seen on the pictures of others (pic attached) I think its one of these having compared pictures etc are they any good ??

Mishimoto MMAI-STI-08P Performance Cold-Air Intake

3 Preferences on rubber ?
4 I will probably go for a Pioneer head unit are there any aftermarket leads required

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

Last edited by blades1972; 02 January 2023 at 04:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by blades1972:
Old 02 January 2023, 05:03 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Received 670 Likes on 519 Posts

Welcome along mate 👍

The following users liked this post:
Old 02 January 2023, 05:35 PM
j3rvx
Scooby Regular

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice  another silver one. Yes, not all came with fogs. You have an after market air filter on that. I just got through a set of Goodyear Eagle f1's they were top notch couldn't fault them. My car originally came with Bridgestones on which we're also good. Last week I got a deal on a set of Uniroyal RainSport 5's for £380 so will be fitting those soon. What mods you got planned?​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Last edited by j3rvx; 02 January 2023 at 06:28 PM.
Old 02 January 2023, 06:26 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Mishimoto products gets a lot of stick on here, I had one of there headers tanks on a previous car and it was 💩

regarding tyres- it’s always getting asked on here mate so type in ‘best tyres’ or something in the search bar and a tonne of threads will appear 👍
Old 02 January 2023, 06:29 PM
blades1972
Scooby Newbie
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by johno01
Mishimoto products gets a lot of stick on here, I had one of there headers tanks on a previous car and it was 💩

regarding tyres- it’s always getting asked on here mate so type in ‘best tyres’ or something in the search bar and a tonne of threads will appear 👍
I wouldn't mind changing it back to stock as for once I want to keep this car original (unlike my mx5 which is in the garage on Ramps getting re-constructed with decat manifold, meister coil overs & big brake kit etc) - I'm also under orders by the boss that I have to get the MX5 done before I start anything else (it's actually a minter Launch edition number 125 of 300 built for the UK)

Last edited by blades1972; 02 January 2023 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02 January 2023, 06:37 PM
j3rvx
Scooby Regular

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Being on here the modifying bug will hit then one thing will lead to another 🤣. I've tried to keep mine as original as possible, just has some subtle touches here n there more OEM+
The following 2 users liked this post by j3rvx:
Old 06 January 2023, 12:02 PM
blades1972
Scooby Newbie
Support Scoobynet!

Right D day is tomorrow for picking the new toy up first job will be to get some decent boots on it but I've got a couple of questions and opinions either way would be appreciated

1 Is it worth swapping the air intake back to stock as it currently has a Mishimoto one - I want the car totally original and I've found an original airbox, KN filter and the pipe on Ebay for £50. Will it need re-mapping after this and also if anyone has one kicking around and wants some folding drop me a message I'm on the Notts/Lincs border

2 What is the stereo like (Premium system) as I was originally going to swap it for a double Din Pioneer unit but to be honest I was only doing this for the car play but to save circa £500 I might as well just get a decent phone holder as long as the bluetooth is ok

Many thanks Ian

Trending Topics

Old 06 January 2023, 12:37 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

MushiMoto stuff is pretty pants from our experience...........

has it been previously mapped? if so then likely you may gain response when the std airbox is re-installed
Old 06 January 2023, 12:46 PM
blades1972
Scooby Newbie
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by stockcar
MushiMoto stuff is pretty pants from our experience...........

has it been previously mapped? if so then likely you may gain response when the std airbox is re-installed
Not previously mapped but it does have the Produce performance pack (and has been dyne'd at 333bhp) - I don't think the one I found on eBay will fit so I may go aftermarket unless I locate one (what's the aftermarket preference ?)
Old 06 January 2023, 01:14 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

no reason the std airbox won't simply re-fit in that case - if it hasn't been mapped for the air intake I would be very wary as they are notorious for running near the bone and even small changes can cause them to potnetially run lean
Old 06 January 2023, 01:22 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

I can strongly vouch for Michelin Pilot Sport 5 tyres.
Decently priced in my opinion, but then I'm only on 17" Enkei's - 2007 Hawk STi.
They feel great, and are nice and sticky. Good general reviews too.

Lastly, welcome to the nuthouse! And above all, enjoy the car

Edit....looks like you're on 17" Enkei's too...whatever rubber you go for, may as well get all 4 done, and rotate front to rear etc after about 5/6k miles.
Ask Vxr2010 he knows! Matching tread patterns, rubber compound and pretty equal tread depths front/rear are key. The Symmetrical AWD system appreciates just that...symmetry.
Correct tyre pressures are also vital in my opinion, something so simple, yet often gets overlooked.

Last edited by Hawkeye D; 07 January 2023 at 06:35 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Hawkeye D:
Old 07 January 2023, 09:55 AM
blades1972
Scooby Newbie
Support Scoobynet!

Manage to source an OEM air box brand new from Subaru for £62 (I thought that was good) and I will order a KN filter, I can’t get hold of the boot/pipe part number as below does anyone have any ideas ? (Sorry if I’m been a pain)

Subaru 46013AG020

Old 07 January 2023, 03:59 PM
blades1972
Scooby Newbie
Support Scoobynet!

Picked the car up and I must say I am very very impressed - I got held up all the way on the way back through some nice country roads but I found the car very easy to drive in a sensible manner and quite good around town. I got one chance to press the loud button and it pulled very well although I need to get used to the brakes.

I've got it booked in next week to get rid of the "Ditchfinder 200 tyres" that it currently has for a set of Michelin pilot sports as the current tyres do not give me much confidence. I need to read the book as I can't seem to get all the doors open on the key fob as this only opens the passenger door (I'm probably doing something wrong) and I'm not sure it has bluetooth as it doesn't look like the stereo has a button for it but there does seem to be two microphones mounted on the A pillars

The following 4 users liked this post by blades1972:
Old 07 January 2023, 05:15 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Congratulations 👍 Looks nice mate 👌

Is this the first Subaru you have owned?
Old 08 January 2023, 11:01 AM
blades1972
Scooby Newbie
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by johno01
Congratulations 👍 Looks nice mate 👌

Is this the first Subaru you have owned?
Yes first Subaru although my old man had a legacy a while ago
Old 08 January 2023, 11:46 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Welcome, nice hatch. If you have Michelin pilot super sports they are amongst the best summer "near track" tyres around, but not inspiring in winter. (If they are sport 3, 4, (don't confuse 4 with 4S) or 5 then they are a gradual improvement of a standard premium road tyre) Don't bin them if they still have some life, keep them for summer when they will be brilliant; they are also hard to get hold of now as they're only available in a Mercedes fitment. They're very similar to Michelin pilot sport 4S , which are only available in 19" upwards, and they're a whole level above any tyres mentioned above.....just not suitable for winter if you enjoy pushing on. I believe they were standard fitment on the S206.
A cheaper alternative are Goodyear eagle super sport, again a level above the Goodyear asymmetric range, but also an " ultra high performance " tyre, but it depends how you want to use the car.
Tyres like rainsports are a bit of a compromise on such a grippy car, but ideal if you drive daily throughout the winter. My preference, admittedly living in the mildest area of the UK, is to drive conservatively in bad conditions on ultra performance tyres, and then to enjoy their massive superiority on dry days and in the summer. Hatches really respond to tyres with stiff sidewalls.
Have fun!
Old 08 January 2023, 01:03 PM
blades1972
Scooby Newbie
Support Scoobynet!

Thanks for all the advice - the only problem I've run into is that the drivers side low beam is not working so I went and got a couple of bulbs (keep one for spare) but they don't work. I've checked the fuses and they are ok and after hunting around I'm thinking it must be the ballast that has gone. I'd normal do jobs like this myself but I'm that busy at work and I'm under orders from the good lady to get the MX5 back on the road. I've not got time to take it back to the dealer I got it from so I'll see if someone local can sort it for me
Old 09 January 2023, 07:58 AM
4evascoob
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Welcome mate. This place is full of useful advice , many conflicting views and a lot of very knowledgeable people. Hope you’ll enjoy it.
another thumbs up for the eagle f1 and the pilot sport. I’ve used both. Also the Pirelli p zeros are good. Again mainly all hp summer tyres.
currently still got the eagle f1 asymmetrics on.
Old 09 January 2023, 09:57 AM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

If that were me, and its what i did with my own Sti hatch when i first got it i'd get a full service done, basically all fluids, filters, oil and plugs changed and then get it mapped by one of the good mappers. That way you know what your starting with regardless of what the previous owner said they did or they actually did. it's for your pown peace of mind and you need to have peace of mind with these cars, that's the basic way to start off ownership imo.

Personally i wouldn't have spent money putting new tyres on 17 inch rims, most people with the Sti hatch run 18 inch wheels with 245 tyres, some run 235's. Mishimoto are hit and miss, it's the welds that people complain about being poor, i have a Mishimoto FMIC on my car, its what the previous owner put on and touch wood it's been fine so far, my plan was to keep it and see how long it goes on for then replace it but it's been fine and worked well during mapping. One Mishimoto pruduct i do have though is their air intake, mine is a cone system on the end of the maf tube and its placed down mear the back of the headlight, it really does bring in a lot of air, it sounds great too.

Good luck with the car, it looks very nice.

Last edited by The Joshua Tree; 09 January 2023 at 10:11 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by The Joshua Tree:
Old 09 January 2023, 01:28 PM
blades1972
Scooby Newbie
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by The Joshua Tree
If that were me, and its what i did with my own Sti hatch when i first got it i'd get a full service done, basically all fluids, filters, oil and plugs changed and then get it mapped by one of the good mappers. That way you know what your starting with regardless of what the previous owner said they did or they actually did. it's for your pown peace of mind and you need to have peace of mind with these cars, that's the basic way to start off ownership imo.

Personally i wouldn't have spent money putting new tyres on 17 inch rims, most people with the Sti hatch run 18 inch wheels with 245 tyres, some run 235's. Mishimoto are hit and miss, it's the welds that people complain about being poor, i have a Mishimoto FMIC on my car, its what the previous owner put on and touch wood it's been fine so far, my plan was to keep it and see how long it goes on for then replace it but it's been fine and worked well during mapping. One Mishimoto pruduct i do have though is their air intake, mine is a cone system on the end of the maf tube and its placed down mear the back of the headlight, it really does bring in a lot of air, it sounds great too.

Good luck with the car, it looks very nice.
Booked in for a service on Thursday and to hopefully get the headlight sorted, I've already ordered the tyres but if I do get new rims I will keep a second set in the garage (I've got a couple of dollies that I keep the spare MX5 wheels on for track days). It sounds like I have the same air filter as you but I've sourced an OEM box from the local dealers, a pipe (boot) from Amazon and ordered a KN panel filter. I'll see what my mechanic friend says about swapping the air filter back to nearly stock

Last edited by blades1972; 09 January 2023 at 02:01 PM. Reason: wrong word