FMIC views so many choices.

Search this Thread

Old 01 January 2023, 04:05 PM
4evascoob
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Default FMIC views so many choices.

Evening all.
so car is in being built as we speak , I keep thinking I’m going to need a fmic as will be over 400. I know they don’t really add power but maybe allow for extra tweaking as levels are safer. Now yes you can spend 1.5k + if you want but are they really that much better than ones costing 3-5 hundred ? And would you see any additional benifit ?
I think I’m going to have to take the plunge especially while car is in bits as can be fitted when engine goes back in.

Last edited by 4evascoob; 01 January 2023 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02 January 2023, 07:44 AM
gazney101
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 4evascoob
Evening all.
so car is in being built as we speak , I keep thinking I’m going to need a fmic as will be over 400. I know they don’t really add power but maybe allow for extra tweaking as levels are safer. Now yes you can spend 1.5k + if you want but are they really that much better than ones costing 3-5 hundred ? And would you see any additional benifit ?
I think I’m going to have to take the plunge especially while car is in bits as can be fitted when engine goes back in.
The cheaper ones work, the likes of japspeed and toyosport at least. The hdi gt2 is the best of the cheaper ones from my experience. What youre paying for is ease of installation, a perrin one will simply just fit lovely but a toyosport or a japspeed will need lots of **** about to get it to fit nice and the pipes will likely always rub on something and clatter and bang.
I personally would stick with the oem intercooler at around 400, and be more inclined to look at a water/meth injection system for cooling purposes.
Old 02 January 2023, 09:57 AM
4evascoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gazney101
The cheaper ones work, the likes of japspeed and toyosport at least. The hdi gt2 is the best of the cheaper ones from my experience. What youre paying for is ease of installation, a perrin one will simply just fit lovely but a toyosport or a japspeed will need lots of **** about to get it to fit nice and the pipes will likely always rub on something and clatter and bang.
I personally would stick with the oem intercooler at around 400, and be more inclined to look at a water/meth injection system for cooling purposes.

teouble is will be around the 430-440 mark running 1050 inj and mdx321t so is getting close to top of range I think for oe tmic ?
Old 02 January 2023, 11:30 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

All depends on budget mate. FMIC for the most part is the easiest and cheapest solution. You can get uprated TMs etc but I'll be honest you only do that if you want to stick to the TM setup. Now I'm a classic guy so I have thought every now and then lets do a newage TM conversion but I'm lazy lol and have a FMIC.

Now back to your original question the fit and finish is the biggest thing. I have HKS piping and the pipes are far more substantial. The welding is another point too, welds are fine but just not the cleanest so I took an angle grinder to it.

On the subject of water meth, a few guys on here run it but have a look into it before you take the plunge. If sat I think it crystallises and clogs up pumps etc.
The following users liked this post:
Old 02 January 2023, 10:16 PM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Your right Nossy ,this is a devilsown injector and injector body

and this is what it should like with nothing impeding the thimble filter.

this is what happens if you don't clean it regular like

this is what i dug out of the injector body when i found the system not working the car had been left for months during lock down

this is the dye crystallized ,so the devils own water meth mix is 49% meth 1% dye and 50 % water . I now clean this out every time i do a service it takes about 20 mins .
The following 2 users liked this post by lockheed:
Old 04 January 2023, 07:09 AM
4evascoob
Scooby Regular

I’ve bit the bullet and ordered a process west one !
Old 04 January 2023, 09:27 AM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by lockheed

Your right Nossy ,this is a devilsown injector and injector body

and this is what it should like with nothing impeding the thimble filter.

this is what happens if you don't clean it regular like

this is what i dug out of the injector body when i found the system not working the car had been left for months during lock down

this is the dye crystallized ,so the devils own water meth mix is 49% meth 1% dye and 50 % water . I now clean this out every time i do a service it takes about 20 mins .
VAG Quantum screen wash 50/50 give or take the dye good as you'll get no crystallization.

Trending Topics

Old 04 January 2023, 11:06 AM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts

I’ve bit the bullet and ordered a process west one !
FMIC ?
Old 04 January 2023, 03:14 PM
4evascoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JdmSti2006
FMIC ?
yes mate the fmic , easily fitted by the sounds and the car is engine out at moment anyway.
The following users liked this post:
Old 04 January 2023, 04:45 PM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts

yes mate the fmic , easily fitted by the sounds and the car is engine out at moment anyway.
i have process west top mount waiting
when my engine or clutch die than I will rebuild it and most probably will go with owens twinscroll