Search this Thread

Old 12 November 2022, 08:32 AM
Damian (red scooby)
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch help + general

Hi all,

Just bought this 03 wrx 2.0L ppe.
Bought it fairly cheap so it has the odd issue here and there. Main few things are engine light (supposedly o2 sensor.. I'll have to get it checked)
Next would be clutch which when releasing it released at the very literal end. It has a lightweight organic flywheel which is only think related to the clutch from the mods I'm aware that have been carried out... but to my knowledge that wouldn't cause the clutch to be so high up to release... please correct me if I'm wrong but I think that's a new clutch needed? And if so what clutch would be recommended as I'm running ~270bhp at the moment.
light rusting on both arches too and its surface rust aswell, a rough idea of how much that will cost? And any recommendations for places in hampshire uk?
The bar/plate that's under the rad (not sure what it's called) is all rusted up too and would defo need welding, are these replaceable or will I need it welded?
When going full lock the power steering belt also squeaks and to my knowledge that means it's loose so either try tighten if still possible or replace?

Any help is appreciated I've only just joined the scooby World.
thank you
Old 12 November 2022, 08:51 AM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts

welcome
oem exedy will be good
Old 13 November 2022, 10:45 PM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

For rust, expect a sizeable bill to do it properly. The problem is that they rust out from either the strut tower and leak water into the spot behind where you're seeing the rust come through, or they go at the back end of the inner rear arch and do the same. Either way I'm as sure as can be that it won't be just surface rust, unfortunately. Have a poke about and you'll find soft metal in either (or both) of those locations. You can pull back the boot trim and shine a torch in too and you'll likely see rust stains. Automotive Repair Panels (Ray Culver) are the ones to go for as they're proper 1.2mm thick metal rather than most aftermarket stuff which is 0.8mm Also check the sills behind the covers as they hold moisture and can lead to the front and rear sections rusting out.

For the lower radiator panel, this is what you need: https://www.importcarparts.co.uk/par...y=&searchPart=
It needs the old spot welds drilled out and this then spot welded back in. A simple repair if you've got the kit but potentially expensive (although not as expensive as the above) if you need to get a garage to do it.

For clutch you should be fine with an OEM spec Exedy (same as the Subaru one basically). Mine is over 100k on the original clutch with half that being c290bhp and not babied and there's no slip or super high bite point. When it comes to changing it I'll just go for the same.

Other than that it's the spitting image of my car, I've always liked the red.
The following users liked this post: