Dyno tune vs Road tune

Search this Thread

Old 09 November 2022, 10:16 AM
Julian Layton
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyno tune vs Road tune

Hi all,

I am installing a downpipe and air intake on my JDM GRB. This will require a dyno tune.

Is there any pros and cons with a Dyno tune/rolling road vs a road tune?

I live in Wandsworth and there are no dyno tuners near me. I am thinking of going with Bob Rawles road tuning service.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Old 09 November 2022, 10:34 AM
Danjo
Scooby Regular

Received 226 Likes on 128 Posts

Each has their own positives and negatives. Reflashing the stock ECU can be a length process as you have to reflash then run the car to see how the changes have taken effect, you can’t change the map settings while the car is running on the dyno (unless you have a stand-alone), therefore a dyno is really a safer place to do this.

Road tuning you will have to pull over each time to reflash. Then you take into account traffic, weather and just the fact that you are doing long fourth gear pulls so you’ll need to find somewhere you can do that safely while being able to monitor and listen for knock.

All this adds up to a dyno being a more “ideal” place in terms of ease and safety. However, not everyone has access to a dyno, it’s often more expensive as you have the dyno overheads to cover, and it’s not as easy to replicate real world conditions in a dyno cell. You’ll also get a more accurate bhp and torque figure on a dyno. Some mappers use software based “virtual dyno” software but their accuracy is argued.

I have had my car mapped by both methods to a very high standard, and there are some fantastic mappers out there that can do either, so really you pay your money and take your choice.
The following 2 users liked this post by Danjo:
Old 09 November 2022, 10:53 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

I personally think road tuning is better , as it’s mapping in actual road conditions , like hills which pushes the car harder , but if the only option was a dyno then it would not concern me , where is Bob based , other options for tuning is Richard at Fbtuning who road maps , main thing is you are doing the sensible thing of getting it mapped rather than not 👍
Old 09 November 2022, 12:55 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

modern road conditions, traffic and higher powered cars mean we would no longer entertain road mapping..............

Dyno certainly has its place but the better question is to choose the mapper correctly which will mitigate problems
The following users liked this post:
Old 09 November 2022, 01:26 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Both, dyno first then check in real time conditions.
The following 3 users liked this post by 1509joe:
Old 09 November 2022, 05:29 PM
4evascoob
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I’ve only ever had road maps , bob r and Neil @slowboy. More realistic conditions in my view not that I’m against rr at all. Bob is a top bloke ( he’s in Swindon ) or was. ! , got to admit it was a laugh holding boost at .5 , 1 and then 1.5 in 4th gear on a dual carriageway you can imagine what speed was at 1.5. Yes after each run we came off a roundabout and in to a lay-by while bob worked away and I had to **** about with ignition / key etc but all part of it. And on the last run he said right all done , give it some on the slip road …… f@*k me !! Lol.
Old 09 November 2022, 06:17 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

A good mapper will always check the map on the road after a dyno tune but as Alyn mentioned, a dyno tune is easier due to traffic etc.

Trending Topics

Old 09 November 2022, 06:56 PM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

I've only ever done one mapping ssession and it was with Bob R on the road, i really enjoyed it, you learn a lot yourself like driving to boost gauges and holding it on boost as and when the mapper needs you too. I'm certainly not an expert on which is best, i guess they both have their positives and drawbacks, traffic being the obvious drawback on a road and finding a suitable road to drive up and down on.
Old 10 November 2022, 05:43 AM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

Bob did mine in Newbury, right on top of the A34 and M4. No speed camera's anywhere
That was several years ago now, now the roads are so much busier and, dare I say, with terrible drivers.
Old 10 November 2022, 07:20 AM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts

Would not touch Bob for grb impreza-raggydoo tread.
To avoid above i would go to a place/mapper where You can always come back if anything goes wrong. Fbtuning or slowboy for road mapping, others for dyno,avoid dynamite 🧨dunKhan ssr
Old 10 November 2022, 08:42 AM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JdmSti2006
Would not touch Bob for grb impreza-raggydoo tread.
To avoid above i would go to a place/mapper where You can always come back if anything goes wrong. Fbtuning or slowboy for road mapping, others for dyno,avoid dynamite 🧨dunKhan ssr
Bob has mapped plenty of GRBs successfully without issues.
Old 12 November 2022, 09:19 AM
Matty81
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

ive had mine road mapped by neil @slowboyracing over at brands hatch 3 times now. i couldn't recommend him enough! great mapper and mechanic
Old 12 November 2022, 07:06 PM
Julian Layton
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the recommendations.

One question which may be a stupid one - when a car is mapped, do they take all the three modes into consideration? Does the tuner need to do a seperate tune each for sport, sport # and intelligent mode?
Old 12 November 2022, 07:38 PM
4evascoob
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Julian Layton

One question which may be a stupid one - when a car is mapped, do they take all the three modes into consideration? Does the tuner need to do a seperate tune each for sport, sport # and intelligent mode?
they can do each mode however you want. I keep I mode as economic as poss ( for when mrs drives it ! )
Old 12 November 2022, 08:05 PM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by fpan
Bob has mapped plenty of GRBs successfully without issues.
none i know and enough with failures to avoid boob
Old 12 November 2022, 08:24 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by Julian Layton

The modes aren't actually maps; I believe they are percentages of throttle available, but mappers can utilise the button for different maps if you choose.
Old 12 November 2022, 08:56 PM
Danjo
Scooby Regular

Received 226 Likes on 128 Posts

I got rid of the standard Subaru throttle maps and just went for a basic 1:1 pedal to throttle body map. If I want 60% throttle, I’ll press the pedal 60% of the way down, I don’t need a computer to do that for me. It was then a case of just having three separate boost maps.
Old 12 November 2022, 09:06 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
The modes aren't actually maps; I believe they are percentages of throttle available, but mappers can utilise the button for different maps if you choose.
Exactly, they limit boost and alter the throttle pedal's travel to the butterfly's opening.
Old 12 November 2022, 09:07 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Danjo
I got rid of the standard Subaru throttle maps and just went for a basic 1:1 pedal to throttle body map. If I want 60% throttle, I’ll press the pedal 60% of the way down, I don’t need a computer to do that for me. It was then a case of just having three separate boost maps.
I couldn't agree more, having 100% throttle at 50% of the gas pedal travel is just a gimmick IMHO. As you say if I want full throttle I press the pedal more!