Subaru 5th gear crunch

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 2022, 09:11 PM
Hawkins 1995
Scooby Regular

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Subaru 5th gear crunch

Hi guys

Bit of a strange one had a **** ton of work done to our car since then about 150 miles in had a tiny crunch going into 5th on our 6 speed box.
After doing some researching and speaking to tdr I came to the conclusion that it was our synchro 1200 all in not to bad like but we had a look the other day and the oil was below low had to put 0.5 liters in to get it to the full mark and took the car and its going into 5th without a problem so wounding if that was the problem and if anyone has had the same problem before?
I'm going to save up for the rebuild as want the carbon rings done anyway.

Pfa

​​​​​
The following users liked this post:
Old 07 May 2022, 11:52 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Ah man after all that work. At least oil is a cheap job.

Yes my Bugeye use to crunch abit when you changed gears fast, normally after it had been driven abit, but guy before me had used as an weekend and track car, so everything felt worn.

My classic isn't smooth in between gears, had all fluids changed when first bought but made no difference. Going change all gear linkage and have a Prodrive quick shift gear stick to go in.
Old 08 May 2022, 12:34 AM
Hawkins 1995
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaygsi
Ah man after all that work. At least oil is a cheap job.

Yes my Bugeye use to crunch abit when you changed gears fast, normally after it had been driven abit, but guy before me had used as an weekend and track car, so everything felt worn.

My classic isn't smooth in between gears, had all fluids changed when first bought but made no difference. Going change all gear linkage and have a Prodrive quick shift gear stick to go in.
Haha always the way I guess can't really understand why they only filled it to the low mark tbh hopefully it was just the case not enough oil was getting on it butt still want to do that upgrade just incase but at least I can go to the shows without it doing it

What oil do you use
Old 08 May 2022, 08:23 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Can't remember bud, local mechanic did it, hate getting under the car without a ramp.

I think he sorted that out. Although I remember speaking to oilman/opieoils about it on here, so not 100% sure. Might be worth a shot. So it was like that from when you bought it?

Could it be a leak?

Originally Posted by Hawkins 1995
Haha always the way I guess can't really understand why they only filled it to the low mark tbh hopefully it was just the case not enough oil was getting on it butt still want to do that upgrade just incase but at least I can go to the shows without it doing it

What oil do you use
Old 08 May 2022, 10:55 AM
Hawkins 1995
Scooby Regular

Can't remember bud, local mechanic did it, hate getting under the car without a ramp.

I think he sorted that out. Although I remember speaking to oilman/opieoils about it on here, so not 100% sure. Might be worth a shot. So it was like that from when you bought it?

Could it be a leak?
It was fine before they did all the work I had all group n brushs put in so I though it could of been the ring slightly going up and down on the gearstick but it got worse so I checked the oil and they didn't fill it all the way up they did the same with the engine oil for some reason

Hopefully that was just the case it was low on oil one of the resson I hate going to garages but it made sense when they had the box out etc

Hopefully will have them carbon fibre rings done soon as they say they hardly ever fail as its got us a bit paranoid know like 😂

​​​​​​
Old 08 May 2022, 02:42 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

I hate using garage too. Hence why there's loads of jobs needing doing on my car lol. Takes so much longer.

What carbon rings are you referring too?

Guessing they filled up, but forgot to double check levels before letting go. Abit naughty really.

Originally Posted by Hawkins 1995
It was fine before they did all the work I had all group n brushs put in so I though it could of been the ring slightly going up and down on the gearstick but it got worse so I checked the oil and they didn't fill it all the way up they did the same with the engine oil for some reason

Hopefully that was just the case it was low on oil one of the resson I hate going to garages but it made sense when they had the box out etc

Hopefully will have them carbon fibre rings done soon as they say they hardly ever fail as its got us a bit paranoid know like 😂

​​​​​​
Old 08 May 2022, 07:40 PM
Hawkins 1995
Scooby Regular

I hate using garage too. Hence why there's loads of jobs needing doing on my car lol. Takes so much longer.

What carbon rings are you referring too?

Guessing they filled up, but forgot to double check levels before letting go. Abit naughty really.

Yeah I hate using garages I wouldnt put it past them they left our driver side wheel nuts loose which was a bit scary as had the kids in the car but luckily the wheel stayed on