ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Buying a Scooby

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2022, 01:36 PM
Noodle588
Scooby Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buying a Scooby

I am crazily excited to have joined this forum, I'm buying a 2005 Impreza GX, which was one of my first dream cars, has been since I was very, very young. Its a dream come true.

It's a 2.0 N/A, all I want to change is some stuff cosmetically. I want to change the spoiler to a proper WRX wing, rather than the more flat, lowkey spoiler it has currently. Wondering how this and potentially a hood scoop would affect my insurance? I'm 20 years old, living in the UK, 1 year ncd, named driver and a second car.

I want to respray/wrap too, debating the colour. My mates all say Matte Black but I'm thinking Millenium Jade.

Any advice or opinions would be very welcome! As above, mega excited to be here!
Old 25 April 2022, 01:55 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Welcome to the forum, as its your first Impreza don't get carried away with stickers and tacky mods, see so much crap on the road. I'd leave the paint how it is, will look awful in matte black.

Get some pictures posted and will offer advice. Get the car driving well and looking smart, see so young lads make such a mess of there cars.

Samples of how not to modify your non turbo

Old 25 April 2022, 02:00 PM
Noodle588
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by jaygsi
Welcome to the forum, as its your first Impreza don't get carried away with stickers and tacky mods, see so much crap on the road. I'd leave the paint how it is, will look awful in matte black.

Get some pictures posted and will offer advice. Get the car driving well and looking smart, see so young lads make such a mess of there cars.

Samples of how not to modify your non turbo

I agree, I'm looking to keep it pretty tame and tasteful. I don't want it to look as though it's any more powerful than it is. Ultimately its no more powerful than my hatchback. I want it to stand out, but not for being too flashy. I lovely colour and the classic Impreza look and I'm golden. Don't want to make it too ricey
Old 25 April 2022, 02:04 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Any pictures? There's some right chavy stuff out there. And it just screams sad. Remember spraying my first car gloss black, it came out chalk board black, which later became a thing lol, i was well ahead of my time. You can load pictures directly to the website.

Originally Posted by Noodle588
I agree, I'm looking to keep it pretty tame and tasteful. I don't want it to look as though it's any more powerful than it is. Ultimately its no more powerful than my hatchback. I want it to stand out, but not for being too flashy. I lovely colour and the classic Impreza look and I'm golden. Don't want to make it too ricey
Old 25 April 2022, 02:07 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

First off, welcome aboard, I am sure you will love the car!

With regards to a spoiler and scoop affecting the insurance, I would like to think it wouldn't, but given your age, it may. Only real way to answer that question is to use some online insurance comparison sites and see if you can even get a quote for the car with the mods added. There are plenty of sites that allow you to add in modifications for a quote so that should answer your question.

As for colour, I have never really been a fan of matte black, it kind of gives the boy racer impression straight off the bat and you will get enough negative attention from the old bill as it is in an Impreza turbo replica. Personally, I would source a scrap rear boot lid with the sti spoiler attached and an Sti/WRX bonnet in the colour of your car and leave it like that. You will see more return for your money when you come to sell it in the future if you leave the colour standard, even if its going to be wrapped, you will need the added bits to be the correct base colour if you ever want to remove the wrap.

What colour is the car at the moment?

That said, it's all a matter of personal preference, so ignore what your mate or what I think of what is right, go for a colour you like, not what someone else will think is cool.

Good luck with it all the same, there is tons of help and advice on here if you need it
Old 25 April 2022, 02:14 PM
Noodle588
Scooby Newbie

Any pictures? There's some right chavy stuff out there. And it just screams sad. Remember spraying my first car gloss black, it came out chalk board black, which later became a thing lol, i was well ahead of my time. You can load pictures directly to the website.

This is her, picking her up on Saturday. The colour isn't a massive issue, it's just something I'd like to look into in the future. I find monochromatic cars quite boring, hence why I want to go for a Millenium Jade or a deep red maybe?
Old 25 April 2022, 02:18 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Really pulled up in an Impreza? As soon as i got an Impreza i stopped getting pulled up, may have been pulled up once.

But loads less than when in a hatchback.

Originally Posted by evil.soup

With regards to a spoiler and scoop affecting the insurance, I would like to think it wouldn't, but given your age, it may. Only real way to answer that question is to use some online insurance comparison sites and see if you can even get a quote for the car with the mods added. There are plenty of sites that allow you to add in modifications for a quote so that should answer your question.

As for colour, I have never really been a fan of matte black, it kind of gives the boy racer impression straight off the bat and you will get enough negative attention from the old bill as it is in an Impreza turbo replica. Personally, I would source a scrap rear boot lid with the sti spoiler attached and an Sti/WRX bonnet in the colour of your car and leave it like that. You will see more return for your money when you come to sell it in the future if you leave the colour standard, even if its going to be wrapped, you will need the added bits to be the correct base colour if you ever want to remove the wrap.

That said, it's all a matter of personal preference, so ignore what your mate or what I think of what is right, go for a colour you like, not what someone else will think is cool.

Good luck with it all the same, there is tons of help and advice on here if you need it
Old 25 April 2022, 02:19 PM
Noodle588
Scooby Newbie

Thank you very much for the welcome! I really hope it won't affect the insurance too much. But either way, I'm in love with this thing stock. It's been beautifully looked after and its in absolute mint condition. Never seen a better example for the price.

Colour would normally have been a turn off but, I just can't ignore the value. I'm in love with it lmao. I'll attach some photos I have. Picking her up Saturday, passed the MOT with flying colours. Just got to pick her up and I'll be a proud owner!

The following users liked this post:
Old 25 April 2022, 02:23 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Looks really clean bud, i'd been looking to do stuff like fixing ant rust issues. Although arches look clean.

Looks like Silver paint code 01G. I'd go black and silver combo.

Old 25 April 2022, 02:32 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Hi mate, welcome to the forum.

Did you mean STI spoiler because that looks like the wrx/spec c spoiler etc.

If you wanted get the headlights de tangoed (tutorial on here somewhere) and freshen them up with a quick wet sand and sealer
Old 25 April 2022, 02:38 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

He's not posted the picture's of modified cars that was me.

Originally Posted by NOSSY_89
Hi mate, welcome to the forum.

Did you mean STI spoiler because that looks like the wrx/spec c spoiler etc.

If you wanted get the headlights de tangoed (tutorial on here somewhere) and freshen them up with a quick wet sand and sealer
Old 25 April 2022, 02:44 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

He's not posted the picture's of modified cars that was me.
I know mate. What I meant was he has the WRX spoiler already and is it the STI spoiler he wants to change to.
Old 25 April 2022, 03:23 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Thank you very much for the welcome! I really hope it won't affect the insurance too much. But either way, I'm in love with this thing stock. It's been beautifully looked after and its in absolute mint condition. Never seen a better example for the price.

Colour would normally have been a turn off but, I just can't ignore the value. I'm in love with it lmao. I'll attach some photos I have. Picking her up Saturday, passed the MOT with flying colours. Just got to pick her up and I'll be a proud owner!

That looks like a great example mate and if it is as good as you suggest, I would avoid matte black for sure, you will lose money on it over night if you did that.

I know what you are saying about colour choice, but you could take a different approach from most young drivers and aim to make it look like a true to life stock and mint WRX Sti. It would certainly make you stand out from the crowed being 20 and owning what would look like a very expensive minter Sti.

Make it a true replica to look like this:
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...X%20STI&page=1

These exact wheels won't fit but you can get others that are a very close match. Think your money would be better spent this way rather than spending big bucks wrapping it.

Make it a non-standard colour and it's going to lose some of its edge for me, I am talking as an old man now though lol!

Last edited by evil.soup; 25 April 2022 at 03:50 PM. Reason: add link
Old 25 April 2022, 03:30 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Really pulled up in an Impreza? As soon as i got an Impreza i stopped getting pulled up, may have been pulled up once.

But loads less than when in a hatchback.
Just thinking back to when I was 20 and had my first "performance car", an XR2i. I was pulled over weekly and didn't help myself by having big wheels, the wrong font size plates and a boom boom exhaust!

Granted, I have not been pulled in the Impreza, but I was 29 when I bought it and had a child seat in the back after a few months of ownership, didn't really do anything to stand out in it. If I was 20 and painted it matte black, I am sure I would have been on the side of the road being randomly breathalysed for no reason in no time at all, just like the old days lol!
Old 26 April 2022, 10:17 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

You have a point, seen a few Impreza's that scream boy racer and may attract a lot of attention. But I was surprised how little I've been pulled over in an Impreza.

Just thinking back to when I was 20 and had my first "performance car", an XR2i. I was pulled over weekly and didn't help myself by having big wheels, the wrong font size plates and a boom boom exhaust!

Granted, I have not been pulled in the Impreza, but I was 29 when I bought it and had a child seat in the back after a few months of ownership, didn't really do anything to stand out in it. If I was 20 and painted it matte black, I am sure I would have been on the side of the road being randomly breathalysed for no reason in no time at all, just like the old days lol!
Old 26 April 2022, 10:31 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Just did mot check, looks mint only done 55,000 same as my Hawkeye. So rust shouldn't be too bad. But I'd go on a rust hut, clean and protect areas underneath, I will be removing my rear struts and spraying this stuff to help prevent the rust.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACF-50-AN...-127635-2958-0

Old 26 April 2022, 12:50 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

You have a point, seen a few Impreza's that scream boy racer and may attract a lot of attention. But I was surprised how little I've been pulled over in an Impreza.
Owning these cars today requires deep pockets and commitment, so I guess they spend more time in the hands of enthusiasts rather than boy racers these days. A mate of mine is in his very early 20's and has a 2005 WRX and he is keeping it near standard and doesn't get any hassle from the police, sure it would be different if he chaved it up. Most Imprezas I see these days seem to be looked after examples, not that I see many these days, rare as hens teeth!
Old 26 April 2022, 02:20 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

As said get a 2nd hand boot lid with Sti spoiler if you really must, they have extra holes in the boot lid for the different spoiler. Also different rate spring for the boot lid as the sti spoiler is heavier.

Matte black is hideous.

I’ve been pulled once in 14 years in the Impreza, but I didn’t help myself by nicking a bit of double white line on an overtake manoeuvre with an unmarked plod car behind me, but he did let me go after telling me he expected things might get interesting but I was driving more sensibly than he anticipated.
Old 26 April 2022, 05:44 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Hear Subarus going past my house most days. Must not be popular in your area. I've owned Subarus for years, started out with big jap exhausts still never got bothered by plod.

Owning these cars today requires deep pockets and commitment, so I guess they spend more time in the hands of enthusiasts rather than boy racers these days. A mate of mine is in his very early 20's and has a 2005 WRX and he is keeping it near standard and doesn't get any hassle from the police, sure it would be different if he chaved it up. Most Imprezas I see these days seem to be looked after examples, not that I see many these days, rare as hens teeth!
Old 27 April 2022, 09:07 PM
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi and welcome.
If you need any help with insurance for modifications at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.
Old 28 April 2022, 08:14 PM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
Hi and welcome.
If you need any help with insurance for modifications at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.
Unless you decide to change your car mid year and then youwill get fleeced, more so if your with this lot!
Old 07 May 2022, 12:42 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

The replica STI spoilers I'm sure have 4 bolt hoes so they bolt directly onto a non STI boot lid.

Like this one, although its fibre glass.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154963517...4AAOSwQzRiXZeW

This one is ABS plastic but looks to have more holes than standard boot lid.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284204320...Cclp%3A2047675

Originally Posted by WRXrowdy
As said get a 2nd hand boot lid with Sti spoiler if you really must, they have extra holes in the boot lid for the different spoiler. Also different rate spring for the boot lid as the sti spoiler is heavier.

Matte black is hideous.

I’ve been pulled once in 14 years in the Impreza, but I didn’t help myself by nicking a bit of double white line on an overtake manoeuvre with an unmarked plod car behind me, but he did let me go after telling me he expected things might get interesting but I was driving more sensibly than he anticipated.
Old 07 May 2022, 08:41 AM
Matty81
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

i hate all that aswell mate
Old 09 May 2022, 02:22 PM
RetroPug
Scooby Regular

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Hear Subarus going past my house most days. Must not be popular in your area. I've owned Subarus for years, started out with big jap exhausts still never got bothered by plod.
I live close to RCM so I see them a fair bit on their way to and from there presumably!

Last edited by RetroPug; 09 May 2022 at 02:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09 May 2022, 06:54 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

So did you collect?

This is her, picking her up on Saturday. The colour isn't a massive issue, it's just something I'd like to look into in the future. I find monochromatic cars quite boring, hence why I want to go for a Millenium Jade or a deep red maybe?
Old 10 May 2022, 08:38 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

lol @jaygsi its been us old farts talking. Might have put the poor kid off buying one.
Old 10 May 2022, 08:48 AM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Lol I was thinking the same, he is probably on today's equivalent of Max Power forum now! "Paint it in matt black hammerite bro, much cheaper fella and it will look cool as butty with red wheels en see"
Old 10 May 2022, 10:23 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

I'm not old

I tell myself every morning

Just be nice for some younger lads to learn from others experience, I painted my first car myself gloss black, it did not turn out aswell as I'd hoped

Originally Posted by NOSSY_89
lol @jaygsi its been us old farts talking. Might have put the poor kid off buying one.