Car covers

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2022, 08:01 AM
Hawkins 1995
Scooby Regular

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Car covers

Hi guy

Now we have got new job that is a 40 mile trip we have bought a run around as the scooby would of cost us to much to run over the weeks

So she will be parked up during the week and truned into a weekend toy. She is having some welding done and a full respray in March so wounding what car covers people are using as want to keep her as mint as possible
Old 12 February 2022, 08:51 AM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Received 670 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawkins 1995
Hi guy

Now we have got new job that is a 40 mile trip we have bought a run around as the scooby would of cost us to much to run over the weeks

So she will be parked up during the week and truned into a weekend toy. She is having some welding done and a full respray in March so wounding what car covers people are using as want to keep her as mint as possible
fantastic news about keeping the Subaru mate 👍👍👍👍

I had a Halfords car cover for years with my old blob and it was great, in the windy weather it ripped though so you may need extra reinforcements when bad weather comes....
Old 12 February 2022, 01:49 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

The Ultimate Finish detailing site do some nice ones.....depending on the depth of your pockets!
Old 12 February 2022, 02:24 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

A 40-mile round trip would be perfect to use the Subaru as a daily driver, a run-around won't save you a lot in fuel, especially if you take into account insurance, tax and maintenance of an additional car.
Personally, I wouldn't use a car cover outside (or even inside unless on a perfectly dry garage) as they do more harm than good, especially as you will have your car resprayed.
Old 12 February 2022, 02:27 PM
ted bass
Scooby Regular

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

I'm sure Zany on here had/has a Storm Force cover on his and he'd had it yrs and said it was a quality cover, dunno what they cost tho.
Old 12 February 2022, 08:43 PM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by fpan
A 40-mile round trip would be perfect to use the Subaru as a daily driver, a run-around won't save you a lot in fuel, especially if you take into account insurance, tax and maintenance of an additional car.
Personally, I wouldn't use a car cover outside (or even inside unless on a perfectly dry garage) as they do more harm than good, especially as you will have your car resprayed.
Did you ever look into one for the fsti, i think in some conditions a cover would help as in by the coast, might stop seagulls doing there thing.
Old 12 February 2022, 09:14 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by lockheed
Did you ever look into one for the fsti, i think in some conditions a cover would help as in by the coast, might stop seagulls doing there thing.
I didn't no as I had no need.
It's the hassle of having a perfectly clean car before putting it on, or the paranoia that the paintwork would be scratched that prevented me using the one that my previous Abarth came with (I sold the cover). Its previous owner hardly used the car though so for that occasion it would be fine I imagine.
I am with you about seaguls and their crap, it can be very annoying so in that case it could also help. I am also concerned if they could trap humidity underneath?

Trending Topics

Old 13 February 2022, 09:54 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

There was an offer on Type RA, covers looked good.

Personally I've thrown car covers on to scoobys and not bothered to check if car or cover was fully clean. Maybe I'm showing my age but I don't think I could do 10,000 miles in a classic now. Once you factor in fuel and servicing you can break even on a dirty diesel quite quickly if you buy it cheap enough. But thats the key buying it cheap. Plus the comfort loooool.
Old 13 February 2022, 12:58 PM
Hawkins 1995
Scooby Regular

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts

Cheers guys for all your answer I'm going to get a storm force 4 layer one from scoobyworld. The car will be used then cleaned before going under the cover as don't want to mess the new paint up and it. Won't go under the cover for 3 months after the paint

​​​​​​The garage that did all the work on our scooby was selling a vw passatt high mileage but they seem to just keep going new windscreen new clutch and just serviced for 1300 so not to bad.

I know some people do a lot of mileage on there scoobys but we cant justify it as its not really a enjoyable drive to work 50 mph average speed cameras. Rather save it for the weekend and go on some nice b roads plus I can put money aside to save for a forged engine with the money I will save in petrol 😊
The following 2 users liked this post by Hawkins 1995:
Old 17 July 2022, 05:37 PM
Metalltant
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This car will need good protection from rain, dust, and the sun. That’s why I recommend you get a good multilayered car cover. You need a cover that would fit the car perfectly and ensure that the entire surface of the car is covered. A good cover also is waterproof from the outside but breathing from the inside. So, all the humidity and water inside the cover can evaporate. I recommend you look at 1car autocovers because they’ve got a cover for almost any car model. They will ensure that the cover fits well and that your car will be safe in any weather conditions.

Last edited by Metalltant; 20 July 2022 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04 August 2022, 12:13 PM
marcomurabia
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawkins 1995
Hi guy

n the windy weather it ripped though so you may need extra reinforcements when bad weather comes....

Last edited by marcomurabia; 04 August 2022 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05 August 2022, 05:45 PM
Flat4x4-again
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

From experience (of wasting a load of money) ! :-

​​​​​1. Get the heaviest weight ones you can find (Amazon and EBay ones usually say the kg)
2. Buy 2 and fit together. Swap over after a year.
3. Put additional straps round to hold in place ( they're normally flimsy)

My classic paintwork survived fully intact that way. The only issue was pooling of water behind the bonnet scoop !
The following users liked this post: